Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vista 64bit

Options
  • 10-03-2008 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi, ive just finished building my first custom gaming rig
    which i have to have up and running by next monday (17th)as I have to ship it to London for a large competitive LAN

So ive tried installing the OS (vista 64bit home premium) but come to a dead end, i install drivers that work on the disk.... allow os to install....gets down to end with one thing left to do, it restarts...says first start up and then loads on the last item on list "completing installation" but then does nothing else...completely freezes, hdd seems to do nothing as does the dvd drive

then when i decide to restart it loads untill a box pops up say the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error , to restart windows press OK to restart the compther ,and then restart the application

When i do that it generally freezes during loading logo screen. and this loop of events seems to continuously happen,

ive also tried to repair the OS, and got following problem
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: ExternalMedia
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386
    Problem Signature 03: 0
    Problem Signature 04: 65537
    Problem Signature 05: unknown
    Problem Signature 06: FailureDuringSetup
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 0
    Problem Signature 09: unknown
    Problem Signature 10: 1168
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

now ive a feeling its the SATA that is causing this freeze at end of installation, so tried adding drivers during installation of windows...maybe i didnt add the correct ones etc etc

As stated I have to have this running within a week, ive already spend good few hours trying to get OS running, with the different methods resulting in varies amounts of success
    any help is very much appreciated

thanking you in advance
    Skal

Below is my system specs

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED w/fan

ABIT AB9 QuadGT, P965, Socket-775, GbLAN
    ,ATX, 8xSATAII, DDR2, Firewire, PCI-Ex16

Thermaltake Blue Orb II CPU Cooler,
    Blue Light, 17dBA Socket 775/754/939/940

OCZ DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, Reaper HPC,
    2x2GB, Heat Pipe, (CL4-4-4-15)

Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S203P,
    20x, Black, Lightscribe, Nero, OEM, SATA

Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB SATA2
    16MB 7200RPM

Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan,
    8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The hint is in the error code:

Looks like yoru disc is fubar.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Windows XP tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

conzymaher wrote: »
    Windows XP tbh

Strangely I'd agree, especially for a gaming machine.

I've got Vista32 running on my laptop, after Vista64 was just a little too flaky for my liking.

Although I'd run a Linux LiveCD and check the HDD for errors/corruption first.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

Anti wrote: »
    The hint is in the error code:

Looks like yoru disc is fubar.

the hdd is brand new,and it aint fubar,

vista has a know issue with sata2 hdd when installing vista,

there is a use ide and ghost over information solution, but ive spent most of my money buying the rig, so i cant buy one......

i am just looking to see if anyone has another solution.

thanks

I said disc, not disk. Your install dvd is fubar. Thats what that error code is. Also if you search the microsoft help page you will see about 10 or so work arounds to the sataII issue. All of which are pretty simple to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Windows XP tbh

This is a bit like the "Use firefox" responses from a while ago. He has a Vista DVD, obviously paid for it, and it looks like a DVD error, and your response is "use XP". That is completely of no help to anyone, especially if he wants to use all 4GB of the memory he bought.

Back on topic, which SATA controller did you connect the drive to? It's a pity at this stage, but you would have been advised to get the p35 chipset rather than the outdated p965. Still you should have no problems, SATA on intel chipsets does not need drivers for Windows Vista. You could also go into the bios and check that the sata controller is working in SATA mode (rather than compatible), or ACPI if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If people are going to make 'Use X' comments, please back it up with some relevant information as to why you feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

I had a similar issue and it was down to the Pioneer (I think) SATA DVD drive I was using. I wasn't getting the same error message but it got to the end of the install and just would lock up completely.

Try another DVD drive if you have one, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does a 965 mobo support a quad, it's a pretty old chipset.

Some need a bios flash, but the QuadGT has native support.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    This is a bit like the "Use firefox" responses from a while ago. He has a Vista DVD, obviously paid for it, and it looks like a DVD error, and your response is "use XP". That is completely of no help to anyone, especially if he wants to use all 4GB of the memory he bought.

Back on topic, which SATA controller did you connect the drive to? It's a pity at this stage, but you would have been advised to get the p35 chipset rather than the outdated p965. Still you should have no problems, SATA on intel chipsets does not need drivers for Windows Vista. You could also go into the bios and check that the sata controller is working in SATA mode (rather than compatible), or ACPI if possible.

hi thanks for reply,
    the hard drive is connected to Sata 1 and the dvd drive is connected to sata 2 controller

tbh im not sure what im ment to be looking for in the bios since layout is slightly different to ones ive seen previously

below is what my bios reads....(ive included anything to with sata/ide) hopeflly this will give you enough information to help me, thank you

( > means after u select that option, and words in bold are the option in main menu)
    [B]uguru Utility >[/B] shows cpu operating speed, etc
    ------------------------------------
    [B]Standard CMOS Features >[/B]

IDE Channel 1 Master : Samsung HD321KJ >[COLOR="Red"] IDE HDD Auto-Detection Press Enter
    IDE Channel 1 Master Auto
    Access Mode Auto[/COLOR]
    the same 3 options are listed for all below ide channel's when enter is pressed
    IDE Channel 1 Slave : None
    IDE Channel 2 Master : None
    IDE Channel 2 Slave : TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S
    IDE Channel 3 Master :None
    IDE Channel 4 Master : None

Drive A 1.44M,3.5 in.
    Drive B None
    Floppy 3 Mode Support Disabled
    Halt on : All, But Keyboard
    ------------------------------
    [B]Advanced BIOS Feature >[/B]
    CPU Feature
    Hard Disk Boot >Ch1 : Samsung HD321KJ Bootable add-in cards
    Quick power on self test : enabled
    First boot device : SATA cdrom
    second boot device : hard disk

etc
    --------------------------------------------

[B]Advanced Chipset Features>[/B]
    DRAM timing selectable
    pci-e complincany mode v1.0
    PEG Force X1
    Init Display First PCI Slot

--------------------------------------------
    [B]Integrated Peripherals >[/B]
    Onchip IDE Device > IDE Bus Master : Enabled
    SATA Mode : IDE

IDE Chan 1 master - This is where youe cd/dvd drive should be or even on Chan 2 especially in your case since you have a hdd on chan 1. But i dont see why you are looking in your bios when windows has already given you the error core.

well the reason im looking in bios since ive heard from people that have the same "stuck at completing installation" that runing your SATA drive(s) in IDE mode instead of Native SATA mode should allow the install to go ahead successfully

what else am i ment to do, and please dont say use windows xp.... ive spent money on getting this OS , i need to have it up and running by monday :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could also try and clock down the processor, the Abit boards tend to overclock by default, which can cause some HD read problems, try and manually set this to known default values, and see if you get any further, also, try and relax the memory timings as much as possible, even at the expense of performance, once you get an install, then you can start to tweak again.

Can you get your hands on an IDE DVDROM drive?
    Honestly, it was the only way I could get Vista installed initially.
    There are loads of reports of people with SATA issues on P965 boards, mostly linux but it seemed like to much of a coincidence when it happened to me.
    As soon as I used a different drive it worked even though the SATA drive has been working fine since.

It may be nothing to do with it but I reckon its worth ruling out.

Skalragg wrote: »
    well the reason im looking in bios since ive heard from people that have the same "stuck at completing installation" that runing your SATA drive(s) in IDE mode instead of Native SATA mode should allow the install to go ahead successfully

what else am i ment to do, and please dont say use windows xp.... ive spent money on getting this OS , i need to have it up and running by monday :confused:

What you could do is contact micosoft and ask for a disc replacement, or try and borrow a friends disc and install from that. There is no need at all to go off and buy another os. For a quick try you could download a live linux distro like knopixx and burn it to a cd and try to boot from it.

im going to "borrow" xp from online, and see if that installs, will also give the ide dvd driver a go

cheers for replies so far

would a USB external DVD writer work by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

if you're based in cork and want to make a little trip down to me, we could try and get the 64bit vista up and running on the weekend. I'm in Japan at the moment but will be back friday evening.

yeah, im based in cork (student:P )

sure ill keep on trying things and if im still having no luck etc ill give ya a pm on friday, btw i would need it running by monday,as ive to ship it tuesday

cheers for all replies
    cian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Cian.
    Isn't there an issue with sata and the latest vista updates? Are you running a clean install or are u getting updates from web during install, or have u slip streamed in the SP?

I'd get a small ide drive, even 20gb, and install os on to that to get u up and running.

• Advertisement

Skalragg wrote: »
    would a USB external DVD writer work by any chance?

Yeah that'd work fine.
    You may need to hit F12 or something for boot menu and select it from there but I've booted from USB DVD lots of times.

i believe there is an issue with some people, but having said that i know people using both sata hdd and sata dvd that go through clean install with no problems.

i found out the bios didnt update even tho i followed the instructions excactly....and one of the fixs it contains is a fix for freezing during installation of vista on Kensfield cPU's " which Q6600's are....

i believe that if my bios updated i would be able to complete the update....fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

have you tried installing with only 2GB of RAM installed? There is a known bug in Vista that it sometimes will hang if you try to install with more than 2GB of RAM installed

astrofool wrote: »

its a games machine and he needs it to work asap, so instead of trying to install what is already a flakey OS from a broken DVD, maybe he should just install XP....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

its a games machine and he needs it to work asap, so instead of trying to install what is already a flakey OS from a broken DVD, maybe he should just install XP....

you're missing the point conzy, the OP is trying to get Vista 64BIT working. He obviously wants a 64bit OS, to accommodate more RAM or run apps that support it. If he where to use XP he'd have to use XP 64bit which is crap, and even worse at playing games. Plus going back to XP is going to give him all the issues that come with installing SATA drives and a system with more than 4GB of RAM.

Plus there is nothing wrong with Vista. Compared to how rocky the beginnings of 2000 and XP where Vista is doing fine, and i've personally noticed a huge improvement in speeds in Vista Ultimate 64bit since installing SP1.

Also, OP, I installed Vista from a SATA DVD so that can't be the issue

which i have to have up and running by next monday (17th)as I have to ship it to London for a large competitive LAN

As far as i know games work just fine on XP...

All i was saying is instead of pussyfooting around with Vista and his suspect DVD ( Where will he get one between now and monday?! ) He should just install XP, go to i33 and then worry about making Vista work some other time...

Advertisement