Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Middle Class Footballers

• 10-03-2008 3:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering ('cause its hard to tell coming from this side of the pond.accents and all that), how many English Premier League players would be considered 'middle-class' /posh,by their peers etc. And who are they?

I know Andrea Pirlo for AC has a really wealthy background...but that's about it.

This doesn't have much relevance to anything btw,I've just always wondered...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Robbie Kea......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kaka is the biggest one that springs to mind for me. There was a lot of resentment towards him in the early part of his career. Silver spoon and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Gianlucca Vialli +++

Graeme Le Saux and Matthew Le Tissier from the Channel Islands, probably not too uncomfortable being from there...Apparently Le Saux even read the Guardian:eek:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Apparently Le Saux even read the Guardian:eek:.

Hehe,yep,and that show he got his 'gay' reputation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

In general:

Pablo Aimar

Fernando Redondo

Esteban Cambiasso

Gabrielle Heinze(Not that sure though)

Daniel Carvalho

Rodrigo Ceni

Diego Forlan

Nemanja Vidic

How do you distinguish footballer sons?

Apparently Jamie Carragher was middle class, like his family owned a pub.

Michael Owen seems middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

its not that uncommon for footballers from continental Europe and the Americas to be middle class, remember its only really in the UK & Ireland that participation in sport can be viewed in class terms, eg in the UK until the advent of the premiership and the fairweather fan football was a working class game, whilst middle & upper classes occupied themselves with Rugby Union & Cricket.

In Ireland twas the same, Rugby & cricket for the rick folk, football for the Dublin working classes, however GAA transcends the boundaries.

( i speak in gross generalisations of course)

In Europe & S. America football is the game of all the people, thus middle class footballers are two a penny (in south america the whiter the players skin chances are the more rich and thus middle class they are).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Keiran Richardson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Kaka is the biggest one that springs to mind for me. There was a lot of resentment towards him in the early part of his career. Silver spoon and all that.

+1

Can't remember who said it but it was mentioned before that 30 years ago Kaka would have ended up as an Engineer or something as football was not for people of his class..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Evra's dad is like an ambassador or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

frank lampard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In Ireland twas the same, Rugby & cricket for the rick folk, football for the Dublin working classes, however GAA transcends the boundaries.

Which is why I am surprised the GAA despise football but not Rugby. I understand that football was the Garrison game, but Rugby was the game of the officers mess.

Anyway, back on topic, strictly speaking I doubt if there are any true "Middle" class footballers from Engalnd or Scotland as most public schools don't even play football, it is all rugger. The nearest person involved in Football I can think of is the ex Southampton Chairman, Rupert Lowe, who, whilst still chairman, classically said that of course he would be upset if Southampton were relegated, his daughters were Southampton fans:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jamie Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DesF wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp.

thats the second tv pundit you've mentioned DesF that I despise!

"well, Richard its a game of two halves, the first half and the"....oh shut the fcuk up Jamie!

DesF wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp.

His father is a king. maybe even a god so that makes Jamie Upper Class not middle :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

His father is a king. maybe even a god so that makes Jamie Upper Class not middle :D

This comment has been PM'd to MrJoeSoap as he may have issue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm middle class and I never got further than Premier DDSL. If only I'd been poorer :D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    This comment has been PM'd to MrJoeSoap as he may have issue with it.

You mean from the days he was agent Redknapp. Our old boy Steve Wigley almost completed the job, but he was faltering, so Arry was sent to St Mary's to finish the job and take them down.:D

He is now back where he belongs:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

ibh wrote: »
    +1

Can't remember who said it but it was mentioned before that 30 years ago Kaka would have ended up as an Engineer or something as football was not for people of his class..

Thank god we have moved on and a talent such as his was not lost to a factory floor...

Also the fact that when Kaka was younger the career threatening injury (spinal fracture) was a result of him falling out the 2nd floor window of his house into their swimming pool...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

iregk wrote: »
    Also the fact that when Kaka was younger the career threatening injury (spinal fracture) was a result of him falling out the 2nd floor window of his house into their swimming pool...

Didn't know that.. Obviously just from a regular working class Brazillian family!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Which is why I am surprised the GAA despise football but not Rugby. I understand that football was the Garrison game, but Rugby was the game of the officers mess.

:D

Come on Fred I know you've had a good weekend and I know there are some small minded bigots still left in thr GAA (Thomas Davis, Cork County Board etc) but the vast majority of GAA don't despise soccer, as they voted in favour of opening Croke Park for soccer as well as rugby, unfortunately there seems to be an awful lot of people here who despise the GAA some with legitamate reasons (Thomas Davis) which I understand, it would be nice not to bring up anti GAA comments on random topics as there are people who post here who amazingly can watch both GAA and soccer and it kind of pissses them off.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    Come on Fred I know you've had a good weekend and I know there are some small minded bigots still left in thr GAA (Thomas Davis, Cork County Board etc) but the vast majority of GAA don't despise soccer, as they voted in favour of opening Croke Park for soccer as well as rugby, unfortunately there seems to be an awful lot of people here who despise the GAA some with legitamate reasons (Thomas Davis) which I understand, it would be nice not to bring up anti GAA comments on random topics as there are people who post here who amazingly can watch both GAA and soccer and it kind of pissses them off.

OK, fair enough. I wasn't trying to start a political discussion, just trying to highlight my surprise at what could be described as a traditional animosity towards football from the GAA when I would have thought Rugby would have been the game more disliked.

Apologies if any offence caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

OK, fair enough. I wasn't trying to start a political discussion, just trying to highlight my surprise at what could be described as a traditional animosity towards football from the GAA when I would have thought Rugby would have been the game more disliked.

Apologies if any offence caused.

Grand anyway how's the hangover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

GAA never squared up against rugby because it didn't see itself as being in competition with it, precisely because it was the preserve of the elite.

The fact that Dev was a rugby man also might have played a part.

Saying that anti-football bigotry has been eradicated is wishful thinking. Most GAA people are more enlightened these days, but there is still a very sizeable rump who bear a deep animosity towards the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Out of the Irish team...who do you reckon is closest?

I'm gonna go with Duffer...He's hardly one of the landed gentry,but he seems posh enough...and if he wasnt,all them ridiculous Newcastle paychecks will see that he soon is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

AFAIK Lampard is the only english player in the premiership that went to public school (was privately educated).
    I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

owen was hardly middle class was he??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Martin Keown seems rather posh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

AFAIK Lampard is the only english player in the premiership that went to public school (was privately educated).
    I might be wrong though.

owen did go to a private one though didn't he but he wasn't there through his parents he got there on his soccer merits and won a scholarship...It's mentioned in gerrards autobiography...Hardly an be considered middle class though, or maybe it can???I amy be worng also??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Someone metioned evra in a previous post but i read that he was born into a huge family in senegal he was playing for a lower league italian side before being picked up by monaco.

• Advertisement

stick-dan wrote: »
    owen did go to a private one though didn't he but he wasn't there through his parents he got there on his soccer merits and won a scholarship...It's mentioned in gerrards autobiography...Hardly an be considered middle class though, or maybe it can???I amy be worng also??

What is middle class? I'm sure there are plenty of middle class.

What is middle class? I'm sure there are plenty of middle class.

these days class consciousness is more a state of mind then anything actually concrete.

The thing is a working class in America(I think) is considered someone like the Simpsons(what an example), but I would call that middle class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I remember hearing Dave Kitson speak, and I was really surprised to hear how well spoken he was, especially for a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Shay Given always strikes me as someone who was rared well..

The thing is a working class in America(I think) is considered someone like the Simpsons(what an example), but I would call that middle class.

In the US its defined as white collar and blue collar replacing middle & working class respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Damien Duff...
    Isn't Yakubu descended from a Nigerian prince?
    Or maybe that was Lua-Lua

Is Ghedaffi arguably from the richest background? That guy can hit a free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Damien Duff...
    Isn't Yakubu descended from a Nigerian prince?
    Or maybe that was Lua-Lua
    HA

I am Nigerian Prince. I want your help,my father dies one year ago and left me fifty millions dollar US$. Send me yore bank details.

Advertisement