Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with flash

Options
  • 10-03-2008 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I was looking for an open source flash creator, but I havent had much luck.

I have no experience of flash at all but I want to find some program or tool that I can make some fairly simple flash animatons.

Simple ones for a splash page like.

Any ideas welcome...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The only one I remember was totally script based. I forget the name.

You can get a free trial (30 days) from adobe. That might get you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 galwaydrummer

Have a look at SwishMAX, It's an easier and quicker way to make flash files for beginners, it has lots of fairly cool but now slightly overused text effects.

It's not opensource but you'll be able to download a trial http://www.swishzone.com/index.php

And I probably know you since you're a GUFC fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

I should really stop posting on boards.ie under gufcfan. Everyone knows who I am...

Better go delete those posts in the cross-dressing section now that I think of it...

Have a look at SwishMAX, It's an easier and quicker way to make flash files for beginners, it has lots of fairly cool but now slightly overused text effects.

It's not opensource but you'll be able to download a trial http://www.swishzone.com/index.php

Meh, I didnt get anything much out of that SwishMax. Not really what I was lookin for but thanks anyways.

I think ill give the idea a miss coz I dont have a clue about flash...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Flash is genuinely great fun to develop in. I got lucky and got the Flash MX from Uni for a project, and just kept it on since then. Dang I dont have the installer, not that I would do anything illegal like pass it on. Cos that would be wrong.

• Advertisement

Flash is genuinely great fun to develop in. I got lucky and got the Flash MX from Uni for a project, and just kept it on since then.

When you say fun, do you mean "fun" in the sense that it is not over complicated for a "lay-person" to pick-up.

I know zero about flash.

The splash page on the site below has a cool flash video on it.

Its mainly still pictures panning and fading in and out with text added, aswel as backround music.

I have no idea how complicated that would be but I would like to give something simple along them lines a go... What do you reckon?

http://www.stadetoulousain.net/

OK, new problem.

I'm gettin to know flash a little bit. I got stuck almost immediately, but I got further than I expected in all honesty.

What I need to do is import some images into a flash document. Duh!, you might say, but I need the picture to appear without the backround around it.

I wonder is there a filetype I could save the picture as, that Flash MX would omit the backround from... or something like that... I might just change the backround color in the pictures to match the backround i'll have in flash, but that prevents me from adding a gradient color to the backround of the flash later...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah Fun as in very easy to pick up, a nice GUI, and actionscript is a fairly open system. Ok yeah, you cant do much with it and expect it to do it well, but it is so easy to pick up and mess around with.

I found some great tutorials for flash on newgrounds. So i'm happy out, and less likely to bother you lot!

Does anyone know what you would call the effects in the flash video on the splash plage of the site below.

http://www.stadetoulousain.net/

To be specific,

-The text moving across the screen
    -The text moving across the screen and apppearing at the same time(very bad description but you might know what I mean)
    -Images scrolling across video and fading out at edges

I realise that this all may be very complicated for a novice, but at least if I know what the effects are called I can make a start.

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Bumpity, Would like to know also.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Lots of tweens, including alpha tweens, and maybe a bit of masking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Working on something like that at the moment, I cant figure out what i have to do to get a symbol to stop at a certain frame, rather than loop continueously.

Advertisement