Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rendering Question

Options
  • 10-03-2008 9:57am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

My back garden wall is just breeze block and i would love to get an even finish on it. This is called rendering right?????

anyway, i was wonder how difficult this would be to do or am i better getting the pro's in ?

thanks
    IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wahey70

hi its handy enough if you dont want perfection.... but it is a horrible back breakin job.
    maybe you should talk to a pro it shonldnt cos allot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I have the same lovely breeze block, I'm considering planting along it , but rendering sounds good. Tiring work though, same principles as plastering, and i know plasterers are about 200-300 a day!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was thinking about planting on it as well but that is going to take a few years to cover

so this rendering business, i havent got a clue where to start or what to do

can anyone recommend a website or a book which will tell me what to do or recommend a good CHEAP plasterer in the Dublin 11 area

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A rendered wall might just end up being a smooth dull wall, and rendering a very uneven wall is rarely successful. You could use a pigment to put a slight colour in rendering or also paint. Again it will depending on colour and planting require updating.

An alternative might be to clad wall with an attractive pressure treated shiplap board. Can be a very effective but more sympathetic backdrop to planting. Ultimately decision will be largely influenced by overall desired look/style preferences.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

A rendered wall might just end up being a smooth dull wall, and rendering a very uneven wall is rarely successful. You could use a pigment to put a slight colour in rendering or also paint. Again it will depending on colour and planting require updating.

An alternative might be to clad wall with an attractive pressure treated shiplap board. Can be a very effective but more sympathetic backdrop to planting. Ultimately decision will be largely influenced by overall desired look/style preferences.

i am going to paint it.

So can anyone give me a rendering walls for dummies guide:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Advertisement