Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti tag 'artist'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

And, of course any grafiti painted on your wall is done so on somethign already there.
    you're equating criminal graffiti with completely legal roadbuilding? You seem a bit confused... one demonstrates progress (safer, more efficient road usage) and benefits society as a whole (promotes economic activity, tourism etc) whilst the other is a display of some morons egotistical cry for attention.

The new motorway won't benefit anyone apart from the builders?

Have a read of http://www.roaddeaths.ie/ and tell the families of those who have been killed on the N3 that a safer road is of no benefit... tell the thousands of people who have no choice but to commute from Navan to Dublin that they have to continue to suffer long dangerous commutes because a few scuzzy hippies feel their auras are being misaligned by the diggers.

Both issues are intertwined in that a tiny minority of self centred blockheads who feel it's their right to foist their personal expressions on the rest of us and to hell with the rest of us who have to pay to clean up after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I'd really rather not see a thread on graffiti descend into a Tara debate. There are plenty of other threads on boards where that discussion can be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

minikin wrote: »
    you're equating criminal graffiti with completely legal roadbuilding? You seem a bit confused... one demonstrates progress (safer, more efficient road usage) and benefits society as a whole (promotes economic activity, tourism etc) whilst the other is a display of some morons egotistical cry for attention.

The new motorway won't benefit anyone apart from the builders?

Have a read of http://www.roaddeaths.ie/ and tell the families of those who have been killed on the N3 that a safer road is of no benefit... tell the thousands of people who have no choice but to commute from Navan to Dublin that they have to continue to suffer long dangerous commutes because a few scuzzy hippies feel their auras are being misaligned by the diggers.

Both issues are intertwined in that a tiny minority of self centred blockheads who feel it's their right to foist their personal expressions on the rest of us and to hell with the rest of us who have to pay to clean up after them.

"Benefit's society as a whole" and "tourism". Yes. The trouists who don't drive love getting around Ireland.

Back on topic. Consistency. Do you want to see things "destoryed" or not? And making something legal, doesn't automatically mean its right. What you gonan do when they build on your backyard? Bend over?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    "Benefit's society as a whole" and "tourism". Yes. The trouists who don't drive love getting around Ireland.

Back on topic. Consistency. Do you want to see things "destoryed" or not? And making something legal, doesn't automatically mean its right. What you gonan do when they build on your backyard? Bend over?

*sigh* How exactly is that back on topic? I'm not going to say this again. This thread is about graffiti in North County Dublin. Graffiti, not Tara. If you wish to continue a debate on Tara with the OP do it elsewhere thanks.

Now, back on topic.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    *sigh* How exactly is that back on topic? I'm not going to say this again. This thread is about graffiti in North County Dublin. Graffiti, not Tara. If you wish to continue a debate on Tara with the OP do it elsewhere thanks.

Now, back on topic.

Nah, wasn't was it? But I did try. Was trying to get the OPs attitude to graffiti into context. But if this is going to get him upset, he's really going to bissed when someone bigger issue (not pointing at anything in specific) pisses him off.

Graffitti is not that serious a social issue in this country. Teh wall still works, doesn;t it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Teh wall still works, doesn;t it?
    :rolleyes: Someone could scatch, dent and smear graffiti on every panel of my car. My car would still work perfectly. Does that mean it doesn't matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

I don't worry about things that could happen, I'm only concerned with things that have happened.

theres plenty worse that DOES happen tho

i wish my only concern for the town was graffiti

why do you think it happens helix?
    Because people turn a blind eye, think 'sure it's only petty crime'
    when these knackers see that small stuff is tolerated then they are encouraged to move on to bigger stuff.

Balbriggan isn't that bad and I think it's worth fighting for.
    What's the alternative? All the decent people let it go to crap and then move out?

the town was grand 10 years ago

im not labelling all blowins the same or anything, but the town really hasnt been the same since the influx started

Helix wrote: »
    the town was grand 10 years ago
    I thought it was a rough spot in the mid 1980s!

• Advertisement

Ah the old Royston Vasey syndrome.

Houses get built, people move in and towns grow. It's life and it always amuses me how people in Balbriggan can be so reluctant to accept it.

There was graffiti in the town ten years ago. There was crime in the town ten years ago. I think it's very easy for people to have a rose-tinted view of what the town used to be like before the "blow-ins".

I agree that there are problems in the town but that is down to bad planning. Should the people who decided to move here be punished for what is the council's fault? Of course not.

I don't think it's right to fob off people's concerns over graffiti with the attitude of "yeah well theres a lot worse to be worried about"...would people take that attitude if this graffiti was on their home or their car? I doubt it. The OP has this graffiti on their place of work, how unprofessional does that look?!

Oh and if anyone thinks that graffiti is only caused by those who have moved to the town I would advise them to open their eyes realise we have plenty of home-grown undesirables.

I thought it was a rough spot in the mid 1980s!

10 years ago it was the late 90s tho lol

ive grown up here and it was never particularly rough to be honest

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I would advise them to open their eyes realise we have plenty of home-grown undesirables.

i dont think anyones denying that

ive grown up here and it was never particularly rough to be honest
    Perhaps you had nothing to compare it with!

i dont think anyones denying that

Indeed. But there are some on this board who seem to think that the place was great before any of the "blow-ins" arrived, therefore implying that the blow-ins are the cause of the problems.

Perhaps you had nothing to compare it with!

no i wouldnt say its that

personally ive never had any trouble in the town, and none of my mates have really either

some of the stuff thats going on recently (the doings of one particular local scumbag) is the kinda stuff you never heard of til recently in the town

granted we had a murder about 10 years ago, but apart from that, i really cant think of any reason apart from the stupid little pinewood v bathroad ridiculousness that would give anyone any reason to call balbriggan remotely rough

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Legend20

Why write initials or letters on a wall for Graffiti??? We all know it's funnier if you do a big cock on the wall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

On the topic of Grafitti some pin head has scrawed "Shels" on the Sporting Fingal sign outside their offices in Blaheary Swords.

Now there hasn't been a hangin' in Swords for years but there will be when they catch these spiteful little idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

On the topic of Grafitti some pin head has scrawed "Shels" on the Sporting Fingal sign outside their offices in Blaheary Swords.

Now there hasn't been a hangin' in Swords for years but there will be when they catch these spiteful little idiots.

Bit of spray paint, nothing some hot water and a cloth won't fix.:D

Bit of spray paint, nothing some hot water and a cloth won't fix.:D

Gavin, as that lady in "Murder, she wrote" used to say: "How did you know that it was water-soluable". Curious....

Also Gavin I hear the Council is building a housing enclace for Shels fans who live in Swords. Eventually they will be passed over the fingal border as refugees, to live in tents at the Bishops Palace in Drumcondra

• Advertisement

What's that got to do with artistic grafitti?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

estebancambias you can't be serious...

You don't think it reflects badly on the company???
    I don't know about you but we have to pay for paint here in reality land, not to mention the time it takes to paint over this crap... it's not cool, individualistic or anti-authoritarian. It's property damage pure and simple... carried out by a selfish little immature pr1ck.

I think the tagger is selfish for not giving you a mural instead of a few flipping letters! i have seen some absolute masterpieces of graff art..,. not that im condoning "vandalism" ...

Graffiti is an accepted artform, yes. Writing over someones corporate signage without their consent is vandalism. Is that now abundantly clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭liverbird

Hamlet Avenue has been subjected to graffitti , did anyone see the graffiti on the junction of Hamlet ave / Hamlet lane.

I'm not going to name any names but a certain persons name was displayed with comments "your dead" which was edited to "deadly" and there is numerous green/black etchings replacing the "insert name here" threats:(

Its disgusting to walk down the street and see this unsightly "art".

I'm all for the artistic element of graffitti , in controlled "zones" so to speak but public/ personal property should not be a target:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Seems like a seriously mixed view of Graffiti on this thread. I'm not sure you can measure the social seriousness of Graffiti by how serious a crime it is in relation to other crimes against society, like rape or theft. Here is a letter sent to Balbriggan.net website recently. This chap obviously found the Graffiti highly offensive. I have not seen any of it myself but must keep an eye open.

Dear Sirs,
    I have made two visits to Balbriggan in the last month. While I greatly enjoy the pedestrian ease with which it is possible to view your beautiful city, I was very concerned to see the amount of graffiti that has marked many buildings, public parks and tourist information signs. The historical markers near the Warf, for instance, had been obliterated by silver paint, making it impossible to read the information or see the map.

I would like to suggest that the city could apply for special funding from the National government to install Closed Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV) in order to be able to identify and prosecute the persons that are doing the damage. The United States has had and continues to have a significant problem in this area. One could make a strong case that it is the exportation of what is referred to as a penitentiary culture of music, dress and gang activity from the US that is plaguing many cities around the world. (A sad note that the only thing the USA can export is this horrible).

The police in the US suggest the following:
    Immediately remove the gang tags or graffiti – delay increase the repetition of the destruction
    Prosecute the offenders and make them pay for the repair
    Require the perpetrators to perform the labor them selves

The use of CCTV evidence would give Balbriggan a great advantage that the US does not have and might allow you to stop the damage so that visitors can enjoy the beauty and peace of your city with out distraction.

Sincerely,
    Jay Larrabee
    40 River Shoals Court
    Covington, Georgia
    USA

I think the tagger is selfish for not giving you a mural instead of a few flipping letters!

yeah, because I would have been so much happier if the little jizbag had done a bigger piece of incompetent scrawl - I'm not some straight laced accountant - i work as a graphic designer so I have a fundamental appreciation of good visuals.

What these vandals don't seem to realise is that the wall / signage etc isn't theirs to deface. You can buy a roll of canvas from lidl for a few shillings - if they really feel the need to express themselves why don't they put their money where their 'creativity' is.

It's embarrassing that people get such a negative impression of the town because of a few assholes. If people in general form a bad impression of an area then that doesn't go down well when a future employer sees that towns name on your job application. It has a genuine impact on real people.

100gSoma wrote: »
    Seems like a seriously mixed view of Graffiti on this thread. I'm not sure you can measure the social seriousness of Graffiti by how serious a crime it is in relation to other crimes against society, like rape or theft. Here is a letter sent to Balbriggan.net website recently. This chap obviously found the Graffiti highly offensive. I have not seen any of it myself but must keep an eye open.

Dear Sirs,
    I have made two visits to Balbriggan in the last month. While I greatly enjoy the pedestrian ease with which it is possible to view your beautiful city, I was very concerned to see the amount of graffiti that has marked many buildings, public parks and tourist information signs. The historical markers near the Warf, for instance, had been obliterated by silver paint, making it impossible to read the information or see the map.

I would like to suggest that the city could apply for special funding from the National government to install Closed Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV) in order to be able to identify and prosecute the persons that are doing the damage. The United States has had and continues to have a significant problem in this area. One could make a strong case that it is the exportation of what is referred to as a penitentiary culture of music, dress and gang activity from the US that is plaguing many cities around the world. (A sad note that the only thing the USA can export is this horrible).

The police in the US suggest the following:
    Immediately remove the gang tags or graffiti – delay increase the repetition of the destruction
    Prosecute the offenders and make them pay for the repair
    Require the perpetrators to perform the labor them selves

The use of CCTV evidence would give Balbriggan a great advantage that the US does not have and might allow you to stop the damage so that visitors can enjoy the beauty and peace of your city with out distraction.

Sincerely,
    Jay Larrabee
    40 River Shoals Court
    Covington, Georgia
    USA

Curious to know where you got this letter and not sure you should have included the guy's address!

If we're going for ease of use aimed at tourists, can we start with public transport? And can we apply the same measures to fly-tippers and litterers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

the letter is in the public domain and online here so I don't think reprinting as it is should be any problem. It's the 4th or 5th story.

http://www.balbriggan.net/news.html

Minikin, you say you appreciate good visuals and are a graphic designer? Whast your viewpoint on the legendary Banksy.. Low life crim scum, or talented social commentator?

kkkkkkkkkererds.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Curious to know where you got this letter and not sure you should have included the guy's address!

http://www.balbriggan.net/jaylarrabee.htm

• Advertisement

100gSoma wrote: »
    the letter is in the public domain and online here so I don't think reprinting as it is should be any problem. It's the 4th or 5th story.

http://www.balbriggan.net/news.html

Minikin, you say you appreciate good visuals and are a graphic designer? Whast your viewpoint on the legendary Banksy.. Low life crim scum, or talented social commentator?

kkkkkkkkkererds.png

Ah, fariy nuff... should've quted in the original post...! Now don;t do it again...!!

Advertisement