Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

graffiti tag 'artist'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

comparing banksy with the crap that's gracing the walls in balbriggan is a bit of stretch in anyone's imagination... as such my views on his work are irrelevant (crime is crime wether you do it in a stylish way or not), funny how these 'artists' never do it on their own walls at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

minikin wrote: »
    comparing banksy with the crap that's gracing the walls in balbriggan is a bit of stretch in anyone's imagination... as such my views on his work are irrelevant (crime is crime wether you do it in a stylish way or not), funny how these 'artists' never do it on their own walls at home.

Fair enough. I hold Banksy in high regard and think his work is very good. However, Graffiti is Graffiti and I still think he should stick to canvas or sponsored walls. end of story.

but yeah, "tagging" is the lowest form of "art" out there... idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

alot of you are OVER reacting to this whole graffiti thing

its absolute art man always has been and always will be
    there are ****e tags and so on out there but u get that with everything

ill admit some of it is rubbish but they get better in time
    and there not low life scum either some are MOST AINT!
    now tell me this right

The El Grifto tag that used to be beside the bus stop at dunne stores in Cabinteely u remember that one?
    what did u think of that one?
    i thought it was ****in fantastic till some **** got rid of it
    pure shame that was

where did he go?
    and who is konk and what happened to him

and Rage is a twit

do u feel the sameway as bathroom Graffiti?

and what about the scribbles on trees like i love shane 84 or some crap like that
    thats PURE VANDALISM! its wrong and the owners should be put down
    golly gosh!

wake up people there are alot more things YOU need to be worrying about then some little scribble that u can turn a blind eye any time u see it

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

Balbriggan isn't that bad and I think it's worth fighting for.

Balbriggan is a hole imho. I've always thought so, and so do a few people I know who live there. The driver's there are terrible too.

To the OP, I don't agree with tagging myself, but isn't it better that the youths are doing that than breaking into where you work? Or beating people up?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

100gSoma wrote: »
    Dear Sirs,
    I have made two visits to Balbriggan in the last month. While I greatly enjoy the pedestrian ease with which it is possible to view your beautiful city, I was very concerned to see the amount of graffiti that has marked many buildings, public parks and tourist information signs. The historical markers near the Warf, for instance, had been obliterated by silver paint, making it impossible to read the information or see the map.

I would like to suggest that the city could apply for special funding from the National government to install Closed Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV) in order to be able to identify and prosecute the persons that are doing the damage. The United States has had and continues to have a significant problem in this area. One could make a strong case that it is the exportation of what is referred to as a penitentiary culture of music, dress and gang activity from the US that is plaguing many cities around the world. (A sad note that the only thing the USA can export is this horrible).

The police in the US suggest the following:
    Immediately remove the gang tags or graffiti – delay increase the repetition of the destruction
    Prosecute the offenders and make them pay for the repair
    Require the perpetrators to perform the labor them selves

The use of CCTV evidence would give Balbriggan a great advantage that the US does not have and might allow you to stop the damage so that visitors can enjoy the beauty and peace of your city with out distraction.

Sincerely,
    Jay Larrabee
    40 River Shoals Court
    Covington, Georgia
    USA

First of all, Balbriggan is no city.
    Second of all... typical American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

All you have to do is write "IS GAY" underneath, that'll teach him a lesson he'll never forget.

Really? What’s that supposed to make him/her feel? You feel that they disrespect the area they live in by spraying painting the walls with crap and your answer is to insult an innocent minority of the population by classing them as Gay?? It’s a bit school yard and immature don’t you think? Why don’t you say IS BLACK or IS RETARDED? There are many people the moderator can insult while you’re at it!
    Grow up! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

DubArk wrote: »
    Really? What’s that supposed to make him/her feel? You feel that they disrespect the area they live in by spraying painting the walls with crap and your answer is to insult an innocent minority of the population by classing them as Gay?? It’s a bit school yard and immature don’t you think? Why don’t you say IS BLACK or IS RETARDED?

I think it's pretty obvious that DonkeyStyle's post was very much tongue in cheek and wasn't anywhere near being serious.
    There are many people the moderator can insult while you’re at it!

Eh....? Care to explain that one? DonkeyStyle doesn't mod this forum and as such he is a normal user just like you.

Well I just found it juvenile as such expressed my opinion, didn’t get the tongue and cheek thing as you obviously did!! Maybe some people who are gay find it insulting that people are under the impression that calling someone GAY is perceived as an insult, I find that offensive. Okay?

I thought it said Moderator beside his name and it does but if not in here I 100% apologise for that, now that I know he’s a normal user just like you and me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well I just found it juvenile as such expressed my opinion, didn’t get the tongue and cheek thing as you obviously did!! Maybe some people who are gay find it insulting that people are under the impression that calling someone GAY is perceived as an insult, I find that offensive. Okay?

I though it said Moderator beside his name and it does but if not in here I 100% apologise for that, now that I know he’s a normal user just like you and me. :D

We are all noraml users in here: it's just that some are more normal than others.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

barnacle wrote: »
    Balbriggan is a hole imho.

Your opinion doesnt count.

• Advertisement

Your opinion doesnt count.

Yeah but mine does... Kip.

:eek:

:D

Yeah but mine does... Kip.

:eek:

:D

But your not a moron :D so you can say it all you want :rolleyes:

You clearly missed the point. DonkeyStyle wasn't using the word "gay" as an insult to gay people. He was quite obviously taking the piss out of the juvenile graffiti found everywhere that says "xxxxx is gay". In other words, the type of juvenile moron what would graffiti like the tag being discussed is the same type of moron who would be horrified to be called gay. So how about you relax a little bit. Okay?

Back on topic.

This thread is gone totally off topic and is laughable now. :D:D:p

Graffiti is a criminal offence. It's irrelevant if some people find it more disgusting than orders, or if some view it as 'treasured contemporary Art'. :o Defacing private/public property is illegal, and that's what Graffiti is. The social reasons behind it and the aesthetic quality of the tag are irrelevant in adjudicating if its bad or not. It's criminal. End of story. Black and White.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    You clearly missed the point. DonkeyStyle wasn't using the word "gay" as an insult to gay people. He was quite obviously taking the piss out of the juvenile graffiti found everywhere that says "xxxxx is gay". In other words, the type of juvenile moron what would graffiti like the tag being discussed is the same type of moron who would be horrified to be called gay. So how about you relax a little bit. Okay?

Back on topic.

Im well and truly relaxed thanks for your advice. I think possibly you need to take a chill pill and relax. Im entitled to my opinion and I have expressed it not once but now twice but it seems to of gone complete over your head yet again. As you now feel you’re the self imposed spokesperson for DonkeyStyle what’s the point of me having an opinion or even DonkeyStyle.

Read your explanation again to yourself out loud and tell me that GAY was not meant as an insult? “who would be horrified to be called gay”

You couldn’t make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

1. Balbriggan isn't a hole, it's beautiful but like everywhere else it has it's less than beautiful parts.

b. why should i be grateful that they've only damaged the outside of the building? I choose the fourth option... they don't do any criminal damage at all, let them go home and spray semen all over their mothers high heels if they want to create profound spray based 'art'

3. in the words of alan partridge "i dont want to get bogged down in this whole gay vipers nest" issue

IV. stonedparadox... you have no place in civilised society, dig yourself a hole

in the words of alan partridge "i dont want to get bogged down in this whole gay vipers nest" issue

Very good i agree!! :)

In the words of the Ex mayor of NEW YORK:

Rudolph Giuliani: “Well, I very much subscribe to the "Broken Windows" theory, a theory that was developed by Professors Wilson and Kelling, 25 years ago maybe. The idea of it is that you had to pay attention to small things, otherwise they would get out of control and become much worse.”

Very good i agree!! :)

Rudolph Giuliani: “Well, I very much subscribe to the "Broken Windows" theory, a theory that was developed by Professors Wilson and Kelling, 25 years ago maybe. The idea of it is that you had to pay attention to small things, otherwise they would get out of control and become much worse.”

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally.
    - Oscar Wilde

I like this game

:pac:

This remark was made in relation to the spray painting of Ballbriggan! That if you don't stop it now it'll just get worse. The theory was that if you saw a building with one broken window you can be assured that in time more will follow and respect for the building would be lost! Fix the window!
    Balbriggan is NOT a hole and needs to be respected by all who live there.

Balbriggan is NOT a hole and needs to be respected by all who live there.

Good point, it about sums up my feelings on the morons tagging around the town.
    Graffiti can be art(rarely from the pieces ive seen around) but tagging is no different than a dog pissing on a tree.

• Advertisement

Graffiti to some is considered an art form worthy of display in galleries and exhibitions, to others it is merely vandalism. There are many different types and styles of graffiti and it is a rapidly evolving art form whose value is highly contested, being reviled by many authorities while also subject to protection, sometimes within the same jurisdiction to the dismay of residence. I firmly believe as an Art form, keep it in the galleries and contain its spread with zero tolerance from its very unset. One man's meat is another man's poison! But again nine out of ten times this ART form is exhibited by people who know the value of nothing, defacing other people’s properties and communities. Zero tolerance!

This thread is gone totally off topic and is laughable now. :D:D:p

Agreed. I have responded to dubArk via PM and any further off-topic postings will result in infractions.

Graffiti is a criminal offence. It's irrelevant if some people find it more disgusting than orders, or if some view it as 'treasured contemporary Art'. :o Defacing private/public property is illegal, and that's what Graffiti is. The social reasons behind it and the aesthetic quality of the tag are irrelevant in adjudicating if its bad or not. It's criminal. End of story. Black and White.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.

I've found myself turning into an aul one when it comes to stuff like this. I was coming across the prom one time and saw these three young girls with a big marker writing on the railings. The usual stuff "x.x luvs x.x" and then there was "xxxxx is a bitch". Typical teenage stuff. Well I have to say I was so sickened and I asked them who was going to clean it off. Suffice to say I was told to go f*ck myself by these little brats.

I never did stuff like that when I was a teenager. Maybe I just wasn't cool enough :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 j-bone

i think it is better to save your paint and hit something properly,,altho "bombing" (the act of throwing up a load of "tags" just to get a rep) is generally how kids get into graffiti,,im sure great local artists like MASER and co. have all hit up a school, bus stop or place of work in the early days,,anybody seen MASER'S new(ish) sticker campaign around dublin?? gwaan son!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Chinafoot wrote: »
    He was quite obviously taking the piss out of the juvenile graffiti found everywhere that says "xxxxx is gay".
    Correct, thanks... I really haven't been keeping an eye on this thread.
    Maybe I should have added a rolleyes smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I'm determined to do something about this hoor, when we don't clamp down on this level of do-baddery we only have ourselves to blame when they start knifing grannies.

are you havin me on you mentalist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Really? What’s that supposed to make him/her feel? You feel that they disrespect the area they live in by spraying painting the walls with crap and your answer is to insult an innocent minority of the population by classing them as Gay?? It’s a bit school yard and immature don’t you think? Why don’t you say IS BLACK or IS RETARDED? There are many people the moderator can insult while you’re at it!
    Grow up! :rolleyes:

Spot the willy smoker.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Spot the willy smoker.

Ya your mother!! Hear she's good too..

have to agree Chinafoot. I would be seriously annoyed to see young whans writing on walls or rails. I don't think I would have felt strongly about it 10 years ago. I did graffiti once when I was 15 or 16. I wrote my name and some expletives in big writing on someones white wall at the front of their house. I used clumps of grass and wrote it in chlorophyll stain. Anyway I have no idea why I did it, I was with another kid at the time and we were like rebels I suppose. I was caught, shamed, punished, rebuked, embarrassed etc etc. Had to clean it, and present the woman of the house with an apology etc. Ever since then, writing on walls never really appealed to me. :)
    When you enter an estate top view a house for example, and you see a large amount of graffiti on the walls, it evokes a certain opinion of the area. Depending on who you are this opinion will vary. I normally associate it with alot of youths in the estate with nothing better to do but hang around and vandalise property. As such, it never makes me keener on buying the house in the area. Thats just me though. Some people would see it as an estate full of contemporary artists and would love to move in there. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

100gSoma wrote:
    I was caught, shamed, punished, rebuked, embarrassed etc etc. Had to clean it, and present the woman of the house with an apology etc. Ever since then, writing on walls never really appealed to me.

Thanks for that ... In one sentence, you've underlined with an actual example the point that a good many have tried to make, and been shouted down with howls of "Ah lighten up will ye". An effective way to cut down this sort of messing is to apprpriately punish the people doing the Graffitti, and it really puts them off doing it in future.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ... In one sentence, you've underlined with an actual example the point that a good many have tried to make, and been shouted down with howls of "Ah lighten up will ye". An effective way to cut down this sort of messing is to apprpriately punish the people doing the Graffitti, and it really puts them off doing it in future.
    A 100 hours in the sunshine home would do the trick:p

Advertisement