Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A miracle in Italy!

• 10-03-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Serie B Table 10-03-2008

Pts
    Albinoleffe 61
    Bologna 60
    Chievo 59
    Lecce 57

Why a miracle?

The tiny club was formed as recently as 1998 to represent the interests of two Bergamaschi villages, Albino and Leffe, 10km apart, which have a combined population of only 21,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.C._AlbinoLeffe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Who is the money man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Serie B Table 10-03-2008

Pts
    Albinoleffe 61
    Bologna 60
    Chievo 59
    Lecce 57

Why a miracle?

The tiny club was formed as recently as 1998 to represent the interests of two Bergamaschi villages, Albino and Leffe, 10km apart, which have a combined population of only 21,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.C._AlbinoLeffe

There was a similar miracle in scotland last season....look how thats ending!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

And remember Castel Di Sangro, who got to Serie B in 1996 despite only having a population of 5,500. They later folded after dropping down to Serie C2 but were re-formed and now play in a regional division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Zaph wrote: »
    And remember Castel Di Sangro, who got to Serie B in 1996 despite only having a population of 5,500. They later folded after dropping down to Serie C2 but were re-formed and now play in a regional division.

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is possibly the best football book I've read. Every fan should read it for the perspective it gives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro is possibly the best football book I've read. Every fan should read it for the perspective it gives.

Hmmm. Or it was just a yank trying to make himself the centre of the story.

Interesting that they are top of Serie B with an average attendance of 2,400. Shows what can be done if you are organised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Hmmm. Or it was just a yank trying to make himself the centre of the story.

Interesting that they are top of Serie B with an average attendance of 2,400. Shows what can be done if you are organised.

they must be alright so...it's certainly not the 12th man cheering them on to their victories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Eirebear wrote: »
    There was a similar miracle in scotland last season....look how thats ending!

are you talking about Gretna? cuz that was no miracle!

kryogen wrote: »
    are you talking about Gretna? cuz that was no miracle!

What was it then in comparison to this?

I dont know much about Albinoleffe (sounds like a nice pint though!) but im assuming that when they were formed someone came along and stuck a fair whack of money into them.
    They atracted decent players and rose up the ranks to where they are now.
    Gretna's Scottish cup run which qualified them for europe last year, was for me pretty amazing, considering the top flight teams they beat to get there.

Much like Gretna they are a young club with no real history, facilities, or fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

crossing if wires! i just mean it wasnt a miracle cuz of all the money that was pumped into the club. i used to love Gretna actually, they were always bankers in my football bets up to this season :(

kryogen wrote: »
    crossing if wires! i just mean it wasnt a miracle cuz of all the money that was pumped into the club. i used to love Gretna actually, they were always bankers in my football bets up to this season :(

Technically theyre still bankers this season....just dont bet ON them! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Real Sociadad would have been a notable one but they lost La liga in 2003 - think it was the last day.

Obviously they've always been a bigger club but winning the league would have been a serious achievment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Villareal are another "miracle" club. Champions League Semi-finalists 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Pigman II wrote: »
    Villareal are another "miracle" club. Champions League Semi-finalists 2 years ago.

Leeds did that too, pretty miraculous for them aswell.

Advertisement