Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Readyboost - How can I bench to see if there are any benefits?

• 10-03-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I have a few spare USB sticks lying around, and quite a few high speed SD cards that rarely get used.

I want to set them up as readyboost caches but i'd like to perform some sort of bench to see if i'm getting any performance increase (probably won't as i've already got 4GB of RAM)

Does anyone know how I can bench it? i've noticed in reviews they usually say things like "readyboost decreased access time from 1ms to 0.5ms"... how did they get these numbers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I have a few spare USB sticks lying around, and quite a few high speed SD cards that rarely get used.

I want to set them up as readyboost caches but i'd like to perform some sort of bench to see if i'm getting any performance increase (probably won't as i've already got 4GB of RAM)

Does anyone know how I can bench it? i've noticed in reviews they usually say things like "readyboost decreased access time from 1ms to 0.5ms"... how did they get these numbers?
    Wont see much if any at all with more than a gig iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

kaimera wrote: »
    Wont see much if any at all with more than a gig iirc.

yeah but it can't hurt right, I mean the USB stick isn't being used atm and I have plenty of spare USB ports. Also, I have one of those 4GB Ultra fast SD cards that's doing nothing. I could just leave it plugged into my card reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Nah, dont think it'll hurt.

I tried a 4gig key on my laptop with 2gigs of ram and there was no differece I could see.

Advertisement