Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing question

Options
  • 10-03-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am investigating the option to retro-fit radiators to some downstairs rooms.

I can fairly easily run pipes under the upstairs floorboards, and drop them down through the ceiling. However, I am not too keen on the idea of having to chasse out the downstairs walls.

I am looking at getting the tall vertical column radiators. Can these be plumbed in at the top?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prospect wrote: »
    Can these be plumbed in at the top?
    From what I have seen its brand/model specific where/how they can be plumbed.

Buy/Rent a plasterboard wall chaser and you will have it done in a jiffy. Plastering over narrow, straight holes is easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

1. I don't think the radiators will work if you plumb them in at the top. The water will still flow through them, but it will not warm up properly. Radiators work on the premise that hot water rises, hence the reason you plum them in at the bottom.

I have the vertical radiators in two of my rooms, they look quite nice. If you are putting in new radiators make sure you size them correctly (for heat output, in kw or btu/hr). Err on the side of caution and 'over size' them slightly.

2. If you are going to chase the pipes into the plasterboard, then you really need to add insulation (or you'll lose the heat out through the wall). A pipe is approximately 1/2" thick, but I reckon you would need at least another 1/2 " either side for insulation (3/4" in total). Not that easy.

3. You could run the pipes down the corner, and 'box them in' , will not look great but should not be too noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the replies.

A few points:

I would not be doing this work myself, I just want to figure out how it all works/could work before I call a plumber.
    The walls that would need to be chased are masonry, not plasterboard, so that is a lot of chasing.
    I would prefer to bury the pipes in the walls, but it is depending on cost & mess.

Thanks anyway.

Advertisement