Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle tracks: question for only the super-bright amongst you

Options
  • 10-03-2008 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Can any one answer this question? On the Drumcondra Rd, heading north, between 'Some Like it Hot' take-away (opposite Clonliffe Rd), and Hollybank Rd (near Kennedy's Pub), there is a perfect site for a stretch of dedicated cyle track, in the grassy area between the road and the footpath.

At present, with legal approval, cyclists are permitted to randomly share the footpath that runs along the grassy area, with pedestrians (there is no marked lane for cyclists) -- but as most cyclists know, mixing pedestrians and cyclists on un-marked areas is very dangerous.

My question is: why doesn't the City Council build a dedicated cyle-lane in the grassy area. Only rational or extremely funny answers welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

There's a proper cycle lane on the other side of the road but, to be honest, I wouldn't use one north bound if it was there. Too many junctions with cars turning in makes for a bad mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Bricriu wrote: »
    Can any one answer this question? On the Drumcondra Rd, heading north, between 'Some Like it Hot' take-away (opposite Clonliffe Rd), and Hollybank Rd (near Kennedy's Pub), there is a perfect site for a stretch of dedicated cyle track, in the grassy area between the road and the footpath.

At present, with legal approval, cyclists are permitted to randomly share the footpath that runs along the grassy area, with pedestrians (there is no marked lane for cyclists) -- but as most cyclists know, mixing pedestrians and cyclists on un-marked areas is very dangerous.

My question is: why doesn't the City Council build a dedicated cyle-lane in the grassy area. Only rational or extremely funny answers welcome.

Not perfect at all, as mentioned above there are too many junctions to make a safe cycle track. The way it is now is the best compromise IMO. There was a marking on the track recently dividing it into pedestrians and cyclists but there were recent road works. The lane is crap of course but it's there only because the road isn't wide enough for a bus lane to share with bicycles. We're not just 'permitted' to cycle there - if you look at the bus lane, we are not allowed cycle in it. This is of course the main Dubin-Belfast Road!

Just go slowly, mind the pedestrians, stop every 70 metres and check carefully for aggressive cars flying on those side streets.
    Sorry, can't think of anything funny but can think of extremes:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Cycle lanes will become a thing of the past once I patent the VESBIAN. The VESBIAN is a revolutionary design in city transport, and stands for Velo Enabled Sky Bridge & Interlinking Air Network.

The VESBIAN comprises of a two-way elevated track suspended on 40 meter pylons placed at every junction within the Dublin area (inside the M50 orbit). Cyclists access the VESBIAN by hooking the frame of the bike to a rotating series of hooks which carries them up onto the track at a 35 degree angle, much like the chairlifts you see in ski resorts.

Once track mounted, the cyclist can navigate the VESBIAN with the added advantage of the 40 metre elevation. Power is supplied to the junction pully systems from two sources; the beams of self satisfaction of cyclists on the VESBIAN, and, through a heat capture filter (not unlike a satellite dish) the anger and frustration of motorists below.

By harnessing the opposing charge of cyclist and motorist, and channeling the counter-forces into an insulated cable housed in the VESBIAN track, perpetual motion of the pullies at each junction can be maintained.

The VESBIAN will light up at night, by simply having two cyclists high-five each other as they pass each other on the VESBIAN track. The sound and friction will activate neon strip lighting above and below the VESBIAN. The light from the neon will cure hemorrhoids.

To exit the VESBIAN (not that you'd want to), simply attach the frame to the pully system for a gentle 35 degree descent, where you will be deposited into a special section of the junction to which all other road users have to yield.

I have secured a meeting with the Department of Transport and Environment in order to discuss the viability of including the late entry of VESBIAN into the Transport 21 plan. I envisage that the VESBIAN will be financed by placing a levy on short haul flights and imported organic fruit.

Any questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

unionman wrote: »
    Any questions?

Yeah, what have you taken, how much, and where can I buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Cycle lanes will become a thing of the past once I patent the VESBIAN. The VESBIAN is a revolutionary design in city transport, and stands for Velo Enabled Sky Bridge & Interlinking Air Network.

The VESBIAN comprises of a two-way elevated track suspended on 40 meter pylons placed at every junction within the Dublin area (inside the M50 orbit). Cyclists access the VESBIAN by hooking the frame of the bike to a rotating series of hooks which carries them up onto the track at a 35 degree angle, much like the chairlifts you see in ski resorts.

Once track mounted, the cyclist can navigate the VESBIAN with the added advantage of the 40 metre elevation. Power is supplied to the junction pully systems from two sources; the beams of self satisfaction of cyclists on the VESBIAN, and, through a heat capture filter (not unlike a satellite dish) the anger and frustration of motorists below.

By harnessing the opposing charge of cyclist and motorist, and channeling the counter-forces into an insulated cable housed in the VESBIAN track, perpetual motion of the pullies at each junction can be maintained.

The VESBIAN will light up at night, by simply having two cyclists high-five each other as they pass each other on the VESBIAN track. The sound and friction will activate neon strip lighting above and below the VESBIAN. The light from the neon will cure hemorrhoids.

To exit the VESBIAN (not that you'd want to), simply attach the frame to the pully system for a gentle 35 degree descent, where you will be deposited into a special section of the junction to which all other road users have to yield.

I have secured a meeting with the Department of Transport and Environment in order to discuss the viability of including the late entry of VESBIAN into the Transport 21 plan. I envisage that the VESBIAN will be financed by placing a levy on short haul flights and imported organic fruit.

Any questions?

lol, slow day at work?

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    lol, slow day at work?

A day off...and this is how I chose to spend it (!). :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I have secured a meeting with the Department of Transport and Environment in order to discuss the viability of including the late entry of VESBIAN into the Transport 21 plan.

Is the Department aware that you're only joking:eek:

oobydooby wrote: »
    Is the Department aware that you're only joking:eek:

A spokesman for the Department of Environment and Transport was unavailable for comment.

Advertisement