Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxi Driver Salaries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

So ninty9er you reckon that if you're willing to work un-social hours and weekends then there is a few quid to be had?

Definitely. Or be ready to roll whenever there's rain teaming down in the city centre. If you're willing to work days like Christams Day evening and New Years Eve you could sweep about €60k a year on a 4 day/night week, taking 3/4 of the quieter summer weeks off. I'd suggest a self defence class as well though;)

Airports are always the forgotten goldmine too. Check out flight timetables and have a big (I mean massive) boot. The Yanks tip fairly well;)

My dad was a taxi driver 7-8 years back, but it just wasn't for him. He was using a shared car and got out when he found out what else it was being used for:(:(

Money paid the mortgage and bills when my mam was out of work for a while, but on top of his day job it was just too much of a drain too.

EDIT:

You don't say where you are, but if you're near a 3rd level institution of any sort, then you should get a "work mobile" to give out to students who'll definitely keep you busy from around 11 one or two nights a week. You need a decent, big, though not expensive car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ninty9er wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly say that. If he's working the 12-6 Shift on a Saturday, Sunday and Monday Morning with student nights thrown in, I'd say you could clear €65k a year no bother. a 4-5 minute journey will cost somewhere in the region of €6-€7 at that time of night depending on traffic lights etc.

And you can be sure no taxi driver who knows what he's doing is operating without a fuel card so the fuel costs will be lower than you average punter.
    I know a taxi driver who's been driving 5 years and has never once sat waiting at a rank. Between bookings and people calling him, he's constantly busy. His kids could be waiting for an hour before they see him if they call after a night out on the town. The most money is to be had when there are no taxis to be got. It's about maximising income and minimising expenses (i.e don't be driving around wasting diesel at 2pm on a Monday when nobody wants a taxi, but be sure to be out from around 10pm on Thursday and head to bed at around 7 on Friday morning)

The 'humour' and (to be proposed) 'I know it all' forum ftw.

:rolleyes:

I can only speak for Dublin but in this present climate there's no taxi driver here making anything near that money.

But from reading the 'Taxi Times' it would appear that all area's of the country are similarly effected.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Airports are always the forgotten goldmine too. Check out flight timetables and have a big (I mean massive) boot. The Yanks tip fairly well;)

Again in Dublin.. There are a lot of airport hotels up here now, hardly worth taking the chance these days expecting the big fares.

And Yanks DON'T tip, or hardly ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

There are 2'000 more Taxis in Dublin than New York!

When the downturn comes, taxis will be among the first to be effected.

There are 2'000 more Taxis in Dublin than New York!

When the downturn comes, taxis will be among the first to be effected.

Welcome to two years ago :D

Oh, now bankers aren't stupid people right - I mean they know how to make a buck, right?... Well try ask your bank for a loan to finance a taxi and they'll have security eject your very quickly then they'll fall around the floor laughing.

OP, by all mean's give it a go. But if someone asks you about the business, be honest with them and don't let them leave a secure job to get into the business without some honest answer's, because believe me there's a huge amount of lads bullsh*tting about their earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I work shift, and like to drive, I've just sent in my Tax Clearance Form. Won't be working in the big smoke either, so weekends might be prime pickin's where I am. I'm off 3-4 days a weeks anyway, and like to drive too.

Sure, you need to put in the hours, but you get to choose your own hours.

OP another suggestion if you like to drive and want to earn a few quid..

Deliver curry's, and this is no messing. You'll be busier and make more money at least on Friday nights, then you can go taxing from 1am (when the take away closes).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The other things that strike me is that the amount of hours you feel you will work are simply the amount of hours you are prepared to hang around waiting for business. You could decide to do a 60 hour week but only end up driving for half that time, therefore you cant really calculate the hourly rate without experience of being in the right place at the right time.

No doubt it can be done, but nobody is going to give you that info. You have to invest your own time trying to find out.

Also if doing it part time to supplement your income, you will obviously end up paying alot of it on tax !

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

take a look at the evening herald taxi section any day and see the amount of taxis for sale/rent, this might give a clue as to the state of the industry,

(far off hills are greener, an all that,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Mairt wrote: »
    OP, by all mean's give it a go. But if someone asks you about the business, be honest with them and don't let them leave a secure job to get into the business without some honest answer's, because believe me there's a huge amount of lads bullsh*tting about their earnings.

Mairt, I agree that a lot of people are bullsh*tting about their earnings. Thats another reason why I think I should find out for myself. Everyone on here have given me a lot of things to think about, but really you never know exactly how something will work out until you try it for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

I know nobody seems to belive the 400euro a night figure but I do. But to clarify, that was gross not net.

He gave up a 50k (shift work) job after driving part time for 6 months.

He is operating a 7 seater in a good sized town in the midlands that had 7(now 9) other taxis, he is still the only 7 seater.

He got in at the right time, got the right customer base and is full every night of regulars. He's a nice guy and people actually like him.

A 5 minute journey at 3 euros a head is 18 euro ( 3x6=18).

He was saying every night untill 4am he has a 1 hr job list.

And he offered me 250 euro per night to cover his holidays, which of course I declined cause there is no way I'd work for just 250 a night.

A final note.

The last time I was in Dublin Airport the taxi rank had several Lexus Jeeps, Big Mercs and a X5.

How are those drivers paying for those cars if there is no money to be made.

Good drivers/business people make good money.
    Bad drivers/business people make feck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

(CH3)2CHOH wrote: »

He gave up a 50k (shift work) job after driving part time for 6 months.

So now he's down 50k per year
    He is operating a 7 seater in a good sized town in the midlands that had 7(now 9) other taxis, he is still the only 7 seater.

So he has a USP, when someone else puts on another 7 seater, he's got 100% competition

A 5 minute journey at 3 euros a head is 18 euro ( 3x6=18).

That's illegal, you can only charge what's on the meter, night time €4.10 plus call out fee if applicable of €2, approx 5 minutes, maybe €7/€8
    He was saying every night untill 4am he has a 1 hr job list.

So that's 3-4am covered then
    And he offered me 250 euro per night to cover his holidays, which of course I declined cause there is no way I'd work for just 250 a night.

You're right, time off is worth twice time working

A final note.

The last time I was in Dublin Airport the taxi rank had several Lexus Jeeps, Big Mercs and a X5.

How are those drivers paying for those cars if there is no money to be made.

They're mostly double jobbing. Some are in the business years & don't have mortgage payments etc so are able to afford a better car.
    Good drivers/business people make good money.
    Bad drivers/business people make feck all.

Not true I'm afraid. It's a free for all out there. I've been cut up several times by more aggressive drivers crossing in front of me to pick up a fare. You'll scramble for what you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

OP.
    I am driving a taxi 6yrs now.My advice to you is if you have big repayments of any kind then dont give up your guarenteed day job.To those lads whose say that they are making €1000 plus a week they may be telling the truth but I doubt it and even if they are the running costs of the car would probably average over 400 a week (wear and tear,huge fuel costs).The reality ,in Dublin anyway,is that at peak times there will always be 2-3 taxis in front of you and 1 behind you willing to cut your hand off for a fare.Add in the fact that it is nearly impossible to get onto any rank in Dublin so you end up driving around burning fuel.
    DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its a **** job with **** hours and you earn every bloody cent (thats if they pay you.......)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

iMax wrote: »
    So now he's down 50k per year

So he has a USP, when someone else puts on another 7 seater, he's got 100% competition

That's illegal, you can only charge what's on the meter, night time €4.10 plus call out fee if applicable of €2, approx 5 minutes, maybe €7/€8

So that's 3-4am covered then

You're right, time off is worth twice time working

They're mostly double jobbing. Some are in the business years & don't have mortgage payments etc so are able to afford a better car.

Not true I'm afraid. It's a free for all out there. I've been cut up several times by more aggressive drivers crossing in front of me to pick up a fare. You'll scramble for what you can get.

How's he down 50k per year, he gave up one job and now is earning more ???

And if nobody puts in a 7 seater it status quo. It's still working for him ATM

It might be illegal, but people are more than happy to do it.

It's noy 3-4am covered, from 9pm till 4am he has bookings 1 hr in advance.

of course I'm right:rolleyes:

Dosn't matter how they can afford it, they are making the money. So is my mate because he is good at his job. He saw the opening and took it and now he's benifiting from it.

Maybe in Dublin, but as I said, this is an area with only 9 taxi's.

bcmf wrote: »
    OP.
    I am driving a taxi 6yrs now.My advice to you is if you have big repayments of any kind then dont give up your guarenteed day job.To those lads whose say that they are making €1000 plus a week they may be telling the truth but I doubt it and even if they are the running costs of the car would probably average over 400 a week (wear and tear,huge fuel costs).The reality ,in Dublin anyway,is that at peak times there will always be 2-3 taxis in front of you and 1 behind you willing to cut your hand off for a fare.Add in the fact that it is nearly impossible to get onto any rank in Dublin so you end up driving around burning fuel.
    DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its a **** job with **** hours and you earn every bloody cent (thats if they pay you.......)

Thanks bcmf. What would you reckon about keeping the guaranteed day job and taxi-ing at weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ballooba wrote: »
    And for all the giving out the taxi drivers do, they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't making money.

Yeah just like the lads in BurgerKing and MacDonalds.......

I know a Taxi driver who is making 1200+ euro per weekend. He's only doing Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

He's lying, for those nights alone he should be on at least 1800+, trust me I'm a taxi driver and I know

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who commented. I was actually thinking of getting a SPSV licence and buying a new car (not brand new, just new to me) as I am currently driving a 1.2 hatchback.

I've been doing an office job for the past 2 years and I'm honestly getting fed up of being stuck in the same place all day every day.

I enjoy driving a lot and would even just 'go for a drive' in the evenings or at weekends when i'm not up to anything else. Just thought I might aswell make some money while i'm out and about.

I've gotten the application form, and am awaiting a Tax Clearance Cert from Revenue to complete the application. I was toying with the idea of doing some part-time evening / weekend work to get a feel for it and see if its worth my while. I would obviously stay in the 9 to 5 PAYE job aswell just in case it turns out not to be my thing, or if there turns out to be no money in it at all.

But I'm now getting the impression that its an industry in decline....

I've been looking at different Taxi-specific forums and websites and the general opinion from them all seems to be leaning towards this belief.

However, having a mortgage to pay starting this year, any extra income would be a big plus. Does anyone think that I'm crazy or could I actually make a go of it?

Honest opinion ( ignore my posts about takings except for the zero to fifty ) if you just need money for helping out the mortgage, get a job behind a bar at least when they leave you won't be the one driving the pukers home...

gaz wac wrote: »
    Hi Steve,

Id say go for it !! My bro in law was like you, sitting around doing nothing at the weekends / evening, after 9 to 5 so he got a plate, extra cash comes in very handy for child care, broken washing machine, extra spending money etc!!

And then you wonder why the full time taxi drivers are complaining.....

Hi Spook_ie,

Don't think i'd be a good bar man. Thanks for the suggestion tho! Someone else mentioned delivering curry/pizzas. Thats not a bad idea. that'd be cash in hand type of work too and could provide the extra income. the thing about taxi driving though for me is the fact that you can be your own boss. i mean, you're not out driving at the moment if you're posting here, so that must be a decision you've made not to go out. Maybe you prefer night work etc. But you get to decide for yourself when you go out or stay in. it just feels like more freedom.

I have to admit tho, since I've started thinking about this, I've been paying close attention to other taxis on the roads whenever I'm out and about - and there are a hell of a lot of them on the roads.

Think i might do some research, take a trip into town tonight or tomorrow night if i'm not going out and cruise around for a while. See just how many taxis there are at night time too.

• Advertisement

Well you don't say where you are, but be aware that the next two weekends are Bank Holidays so the bias will be towards a good weekend in Dublin, suggest if you're going to try and judge it have a look at some of the mid month weekends when no ones been paid yet as compared to the 1st weekend of the month, and the reason I'm on, because I only work nights as the traffic is just too mental and there is a night time rate between 8pm and 8 am that helps towards making a living. ( edit ) I'm also taking some time out to moderate www.dublintaxi.net ( end edit )

Being honest I enjoy taxiing, I make a living, I pay income tax, I get a holiday once a year, I worry when the car makes strange noises, I worry where the cost of replacing the car is going to come from ( I don't owe a bean on this one ), I worry about hitting the target ( financial ) every week, I don't have a large mortgage, If I take a weekend off I'm always playing catch up for the next 4/6 weeks, I worry if I'm feeling under the weather ( If I don't work, I dig into funds/credit card to feed/clothe the kids , SODs Law Part I says that if your taxi is going to breakdown it will be on a bank holiday Friday, SODs Law Part II says that it'll cost you twice as much as you expected whenever you NCT/maintain the taxi and SODs Law part III says that if you do have a very good week the wife will find an unexpected bill for you to pay, but at the end of it I am my own boss

I'm in Dublin, Northside.

Point taken about the next 2 weekends being mad busy with the amount of people out and about. Appreciate the honesty also about the worries associated with driving. I'm also aware that there are probably loads and loads of lads around my age who are thinking along the same lines as I was. "drive a taxi, easy money" - however I now have some insight as to how tough it can be for the most part. (Also, when I rang revenue about a tax clearance Cert the girl on the phone asked if it was for applying for a SPSV licence. Must be getting loads of requests.) But I'm still willing to give it a go and (not blowing my own trumpet or anthing) I've never been one to shy away from hard work.

I enjoy making an effort, putting in 100% no matter what it is that I do, and I reckon I could treat this not just as a bit of handy extra cash but as a job/business, and research/plan the best times to go out, the best way to deal with customers, the most cost effective way to run the car etc. etc.

But I'd still prefer to take it up part time first to get a feel for it.

Hope i'm making sense and not just waffling!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

From experience in Limerick, I'd say head up to the student bar at DCU on a tuesday, wednesday or thursday night around 10:30/11:00 if you're northside and see how many taxis are hanging around there. If there's a lot, they're not there becasue they're expecting business to be slow, and if there aren't do a bit of market research and find out if there's a niche there to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Spook_ie wrote: »
    SODs Law part III says that if you do have a very good week the wife will find an unexpected bill for you to pay

Not limited to taxidrivers wives i'm afraid.

Very honest post, well siad

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I know a few taxi drivers and one in particular does make very good money but he's been a taxi driver for years, has a huge list of regular clients who phone him directly rather than go through an office, works about 60+ hours a week including 5 nights through until 4-5am Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun..

Im sure the money is there to be made, but as someone said, if you put in the hours, know the area and industry then you'll make the money. Just be wise with it when you do as there will be very quiet periods as often as there will be busy periods.

Keep the costs as low as possible, keep the car well maintained to reduce possible downtime and put in the hours..

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

hi 99er if its so good how come you have not given up collage to go taxieing, de uncle would give you a car very right, make a big moxie, then retire and become a t.d. or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Thanks bcmf. What would you reckon about keeping the guaranteed day job and taxi-ing at weekends?

As a full time driver you really dont want my honest answer to that

From Spook
    Being honest I enjoy taxiing, I make a living, I pay income tax, I get a holiday once a year, I worry when the car makes strange noises, I worry where the cost of replacing the car is going to come from ( I don't owe a bean on this one ), I worry about hitting the target ( financial ) every week, I don't have a large mortgage, If I take a weekend off I'm always playing catch up for the next 4/6 weeks, I worry if I'm feeling under the weather ( If I don't work, I dig into funds/credit card to feed/clothe the kids , SODs Law Part I says that if your taxi is going to breakdown it will be on a bank holiday Friday, SODs Law Part II says that it'll cost you twice as much as you expected whenever you NCT/maintain the taxi and SODs Law part III says that if you do have a very good week the wife will find an unexpected bill for you to pay, but at the end of it I am my own boss

Nail.Head.Hammer
    14-03-2008 14:41

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Andystoran

I know a Taxi driver in Limerick who has been driving 6 months. He makes 1000 a week working 4 long shifts. He seems to take the odd saturday night off but then makes up for it by working a longer week the next week.
    I know that he makes the money for certain because i see it every week.

Hes really enjoying it but smilarly he is worried about his car and getting sick etc.

I have graduated from collage 3 years ago and im not making much money. Im considering driving at weekends at the moment. Its possible to Make 350E on a saturday night. He makes this every saturday night. I think he works for about 14 hours.

This only the experience of 1 driver. His phone is constantly ringing...

Andystoran wrote: »
    I know a Taxi driver in Limerick who has been driving 6 months. He makes 1000 a week working 4 long shifts. He seems to take the odd saturday night off but then makes up for it by working a longer week the next week.
    I know that he makes the money for certain because i see it every week.

Hes really enjoying it but smilarly he is worried about his car and getting sick etc.

I have graduated from collage 3 years ago and im not making much money. Im considering driving at weekends at the moment. Its possible to Make 350E on a saturday night. He makes this every saturday night. I think he works for about 14 hours.

This only the experience of 1 driver. His phone is constantly ringing...

Point 1 Working 14 hours a shift is both illegal and dangerous
    Point 2 The figures you quote are ( I assume ) gross, if they are nett I'm coming to Limerick

• Advertisement

Well, i took a little drive around Dublin City Centre last Saturday night (29/03/08). I have to say, I don't think I've ever seen as many taxis in one place. It was like rush hour traffic, only it was all taxis. Maybe this isn't the thing to get into. Looks like the market is flooded.

Advertisement