Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rathnew & Wicklow...

• 10-03-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi there,
    Myself and the missus are moving to Rathnew in the next couple of weeks. We're reasonably familier with the locality from a "passing-thru" POV and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice/info on the following:

What are the good places to eat in Rathnew/Wicklow town?
    Where is the best/nicest pub in Rathnew/Wicklow?
    What are the taxi services like from Wicklow to Rathnew?
    Any other advice?!!

Cheers,
    HH

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

There are a few nice restaurants in Wicklow, pings chinese, jumana indian and there are a couple of italians. A few decent pubs too.

as far as i know there are a few taxi companies in Wicklow town too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Bakery in Wicklow town is really good:)

The forge in Wicklow town isn't a bad pub.

Ashford has 3 good pubs.
    Ashfold House,The Woodpecker and Chester Beattys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

There are a number of nice restaurants in wicklow.
    1 - Vesuvius (located in the centre of the town down by the public car park to the back of supervalu)
    2 - Antonio's Italian(located at the back of Phil Healy's pub)
    3 - Casa Pepe (located at the top of the town opposite Donelli's. Personally I think its overated, but alot of my friends swear by it.
    4 - Rugantino's - Lovely restaurant located down by the quays (few doors up from the Bridge tavern pub)

Nicest pubs? Depends on what you're after. Alot of people like Phil Healy's. But if you're after live music then either the Bridge Tavern or the Leitrim lounge are the way forward. Then again if you like sharing a room with knobheads, Ernies is the place for you :)

Taxis from Wicklow to Rathnew - you shouldn't be charged more than €8. If you are they are chancing their arm. try wicklow cabs or 66100 cabs.

The takeaway chinese in Rathnew is actually quite good. Also if you're after some chipper food the local takeaway in Rathnew (the ROCK) delivers.
    There are a few pubs in Rathnew, personally I like Fitz the best. The other ones aren't really worth mentioning. If you want to get to know local folk you're just as handy heading into wicklow anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HybridHumour

Thanks for the info folks - much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

seaner wrote: »
    There are a number of nice restaurants in wicklow.
    1 - Vesuvius (located in the centre of the town down by the public car park to the back of supervalu)
    2 - Antonio's Italian(located at the back of Phil Healy's pub)
    3 - Casa Pepe (located at the top of the town opposite Donelli's. Personally I think its overated, but alot of my friends swear by it.
    4 - Rugantino's - Lovely restaurant located down by the quays (few doors up from the Bridge tavern pub)

Nicest pubs? Depends on what you're after. Alot of people like Phil Healy's. But if you're after live music then either the Bridge Tavern or the Leitrim lounge are the way forward. Then again if you like sharing a room with knobheads, Ernies is the place for you :)

Taxis from Wicklow to Rathnew - you shouldn't be charged more than €8. If you are they are chancing their arm. try wicklow cabs or 66100 cabs.

The takeaway chinese in Rathnew is actually quite good. Also if you're after some chipper food the local takeaway in Rathnew (the ROCK) delivers.
    There are a few pubs in Rathnew, personally I like Fitz the best. The other ones aren't really worth mentioning. If you want to get to know local folk you're just as handy heading into wicklow anyway .

The girls @ 66100 will sort you out !
    Chipper the rock is the best a lot of the chippers in wicklow have gone down hill!! Best pubs Ernies/Doyles Rathnew/Fitzs Wicklow&Rathnew/ Ans the best Gaa Team is St Pats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 red girl

if you are looking for fab food go to lees Kilcoole 15 mins from Rathnew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 red girl

lees Kilcoole also provide bus home excellent food great craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clarice

Mirza in Rathnew, best take away indian around!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jentomgrant

I agree about Mirza in Rathnew, gorgeous! And the rathnew chinese is way better than any of the Wicklow ones for a take away.
    Red girl, do Lees drop you home as far as Rathnew??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

gcgirl wrote: »
    The girls @ 66100 will sort you out !
    Chipper the rock is the best a lot of the chippers in wicklow have gone down hill!! Best pubs Ernies/Doyles Rathnew/Fitzs Wicklow&Rathnew/ Ans the best Gaa Team is St Pats

As much as it pains me to say it as a GAA man, Doyle's in rathnew is hardly one of the best pubs in the Wicklow/Rathnew area. Its dull, dirty and lets not mention the toilets. Fitz's is the "Soccer" pub in rathnew but is much brighter and cleaner than Doyles. The Rathnew House (or "The Zoo" as its locally know) is best avoided.

As for Wicklow, Ernie's at the top of the town is quite nice, music on the weekends. TaSe's is best avoided.The Marinor, haven't had much experience with it but it seems to be a bit of a gamblers pub, with Howards bookies beside it alot of people back their horses in Howards and then retire to the Marinor to watch them. Phil Healy's is a busy spot on the weekends, but personally I dont like it due to the lack of music. Next up along the street is Fitz's. Havent spent much time in there myself so I cant comment on it. The only thing I know about "The Forge" is it has a Night Club upstairs, thats the limit of my knowledge. Silvers night club is the other side of the street from the forge. People seem to have a favourite night club either silvers or the forge. I've been in both, I've seen fights in both so I think there's little to choose between them. The Bridge Tavern is the place to go for live music, there's live music on there every night. I haven't drank much in the Leitrim Lounge, its a little bit out of the way.

As for GAA, I'm a Rathnew man, and as we showed in the Championship the best team is Rathnew. We also have the better underage set up. Training for The Young ones (under 12's, Under 10's, Under 8's and below) is at 11am on a Saturday morning in the Pitch. Ask for Clifford n the first morning.

For food, The Rock is the best chipper in Wicklow/Rathnew. For my money, Ping's is the best Chineese. For good food try The Steakhouse, at the top of the town in Wicklow, Chester Beattys in Ashford, Casa Pepe (Good food but slooooow service).

Taxi's run the whole time, try 66100 or Wicklow cabs.

Hope this Helped
    Regards
    Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Sorry for digging up this thread but just to let you know of my experience of dining out in Wicklow.

Last night we went to Serpicos (the Italian restaurant in the SuperValu carpark).

First of all, we were shown to our table by an extremely rude man who threw the menus down on the table. A waitress (pleasant it has to be said) took our orders for drinks, starters and mains. The drinks took a very long time to come and we were almost finished our drinks by the time our food arrived.

When our food arrived, our main courses were brought to us at the same time as our starters. My partner's garlic bread was burnt, and still served up as if it was fine. I had ordered pasta in a creamy salmon sauce which was cold by the time I had finished my insalata caprese. Well I didn't really finish my salad as I was conscious of my pasta going cold and congealed in front of me.

Of course it was too cold to eat by the time I got to it and even though I only had a couple of bites of the pasta, the man (same rude man that showed us to our table) didn't even ask was there anything wrong with it.

In addition, my father had a pizza with salmon on it which he felt was a bit past its best.

None of us felt well after eating a starter and mains with no time between and felt as if the whole thing was rushed and uncomfortable. We had been looking foward to good Italian coffee but decided to just pay the bill without tipping and went to Phil Healys for a drink instead.

I have never come across being served a starter and main course at the same time; it's totally unprofessional. What should have been a nice meal out was effectively ruined.

I had been in Serpicos a couple of times in the past and also got takeaway pizzas from it but in my estimation the restaurant has really gone downhill and I will never set foot in the place again.

The owner wasn't present and we didn't feel there was much point in saying anything to either the rude man or the waitress. €68.10 was an expensive lesson but I've learned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sHnaCk

Dining in Wicklow Town for our family has always been hit and miss! Usually expensive and dodgy service. Like they are doing YOU a favour!

however... we always find ourselves returning to the same place.

The only place we have ever been happy with - and the kids like it too which is always handy (I have 3!) - is Casapepe. The service at casapepe is sometimes slow but in their defense they are usually jammers. Fantastic atmosphere, great pizza and pasta, the steaks are good but not great and the fish dishes are perfect. The prices are reasonable too.

hmmm... I think we may have to go there tonite! LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

sHnaCk wrote: »
    Dining in Wicklow Town for our family has always been hit and miss! Usually expensive and dodgy service. Like they are doing YOU a favour!

however... we always find ourselves returning to the same place.

The only place we have ever been happy with - and the kids like it too which is always handy (I have 3!) - is Casapepe. The service at casapepe is sometimes slow but in their defense they are usually jammers. Fantastic atmosphere, great pizza and pasta, the steaks are good but not great and the fish dishes are perfect. The prices are reasonable too.

hmmm... I think we may have to go there tonite! LOL

I agree. Service is usually slow but if you go there with the intention of staying for the night, that's exactly what happens. They'll just leave you sit there until you want to go really. I love the atmosphere in this restaurant.

Al's Diner (under the mall and about 2 mins from Casa Pepe, owned by same people) do a take away version of the same pasta's/pizzas you get at Casa Pepe. You can also order unofficial take away from Casa Pepe if you know what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sugarpants

I think there is a very bad attitude with regard to pubs and restaurents in rathnew wicklow. I moved to rathnew 2 years ago and I really miss the restaurents and pubs in Dublin.

Pubs especially make no effort to encourage new customers especially in rathnew, in fact I would be afraid to enter them. they seem to be stuck in a timewarp, they are dirty, unpleasant and extremely unwelcoming places. Maybe thats the way they like them in rathnew, keep the dubs out. Cop on to yourself rathnew, clean up your act. Smell the coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

But if the owners are making enough money then why change?
    Plus you dont want to alienate their existing customer base?

And beside, every single property brochure printed for all those Rathnew housing estates refered to them as being in Wicklow town & minutes from Dublin.

So once your minutes from dublin you can head to the pubs there! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

red girl wrote: »
    if you are looking for fab food go to lees Kilcoole 15 mins from Rathnew

food good in there no way i ate there few times service slow and food very average....

That is exactly the attitude I am talking about. Go somewhere else. dont worry I have.

Is there anyonw out there who hates living in rathnew/wicklow just as much as I do.

I know there is a hugh difference among local people between rathnew and wicklow. I dont get the difference they are both dumps as far as I am concerned.
    The housing estates are very badly kept, in fact you can almost tell from the gardens whether the occupants are wicklow or non wicklow.
    I think this government have a lot to answer for, I feel like a prisoner living in a place I hate and thanks to them I have no hope of moving in the near future as I have a mortgage.
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Indeed sugarpants the government have a lot to answer for holding that gun to your head like that forcing you to get that mortgage :rolleyes:

I purchased in the town in 2006, I know I am in considerable negative equity now. I dont blame anyone but myself.

Wicklow town isn't perfect, but its not without its appeal either.
    That could explain why so many dubliners moved here in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

sugarpants wrote: »
    Is there anyonw out there who hates living in rathnew/wicklow just as much as I do.

I know there is a hugh difference among local people between rathnew and wicklow. I dont get the difference they are both dumps as far as I am concerned.
    The housing estates are very badly kept, in fact you can almost tell from the gardens whether the occupants are wicklow or non wicklow.
    I think this government have a lot to answer for, I feel like a prisoner living in a place I hate and thanks to them I have no hope of moving in the near future as I have a mortgage.
    Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same.

Did the government bring you to area show you a house force you to buy? No!

Get over it, maybe if you tried making a few friends go for a few walks in the wicklow hills and started enjoying life a little bit more instead of moaning about the situation you got yourself into you would enjoy life!

Think about it there are alot worse places to live in Ireland so stop moaning and start living your life...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Logic_123

Sugar pants - I can definitley empathise, 5 hour a day commutes definitely taking their toll :(, Spank Inferno - admire your positive approach.

Indeed sugarpants the government have a lot to answer for holding that gun to your head like that forcing you to get that mortgage :rolleyes:

I purchased in the town in 2006, I know I am in considerable negative equity now. I dont blame anyone but myself.

Wicklow town isn't perfect, but its not without its appeal either.
    That could explain why so many dubliners moved here in the first place.
    You are in considerable negative equity and you blame noone but yourself, are you serious, ever listen to the news or pick up a paper. also the reason so many dublin people chose wicklow is quite simply because its cheaper than dublin and for no other reason, I can only assume that you come from some other dump yourself since you think wicklow is not without its appeal.:D

Logic_123 wrote: »
    Sugar pants - I can definitley empathise, 5 hour a day commutes definitely taking their toll :(, Spank Inferno - admire your positive approach.

#who said anything about commuting:rolleyes:

Did the government bring you to area show you a house force you to buy? No!

Get over it, maybe if you tried making a few friends go for a few walks in the wicklow hills and started enjoying life a little bit more instead of moaning about the situation you got yourself into you would enjoy life!

Think about it there are alot worse places to live in Ireland so stop moaning and start living your life...
    No you [expletive removed], the government did not bring me to the area, they were however responsible for mismanaging the wealth of this country which eventually caused the property collapse, whcih eventually led us all into negative equity and the inability to resell our houses, thus forcing us to move on with our lives, incidentially, going for a few walks in the wicklow hills is not my idea of enjoying myself, we're not all clodhoppers, you idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sugarpants banned from Wicklow forums for 3 weeks

this thread is 2 years old and nothing has been gained by resurrecting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement