Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb season

• 10-03-2008 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I saw a gorgeous looking belly of pork dish on Jamie at Home the other day. Could any of you good people tell me when I'd expect to be seeing Rhubarb in tescos? Hope its not miles away!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Irish rhubarb is in now, and it's lovely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Just got a lovely bunch of rhubarb in the local Super valu.

Crumble here i come! yum, more people should try it. It's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Thanks lads I'll have a look at the weekend so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It's in my granny's garden as i speak. Rhubarb tart for tea on friday i think.

If you do get some, may i suggest a simple desert / brunch of french toast with rhubarb.
    Just slice a french roll into sections. Dip them into a mix of egg a little milk & cinnamon (and anything else u like) and fry them briefly on both sides.
    Then serve with warm rhubarb on top.. It's delish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

kev22185 wrote: »
    I saw a gorgeous looking belly of pork dish on Jamie at Home the other day. Could any of you good people tell me when I'd expect to be seeing Rhubarb in tescos? Hope its not miles away!

Kev - I tried this recipe a few weeks ago - couldn't get rhubarb so used apples instead. Anyway, maybe it was just the quality of pork belly I used (my butcher is usually top-notch), but I found the meat not as tender as Jamie said it should be. If I were to do this again - I'd braise the meat for longer on a slightly lower setting before stir frying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Kev - I tried this recipe a few weeks ago - couldn't get rhubarb so used apples instead. Anyway, maybe it was just the quality of pork belly I used (my butcher is usually top-notch), but I found the meat not as tender as Jamie said it should be. If I were to do this again - I'd braise the meat for longer on a slightly lower setting before stir frying it.

I cooked it at the weekend I've done pork belly before so I knew to cook it alot longer in the oven than suggested :). It tasted really good. A bit weird at first because its such an unusual combo but very tasty.

Advertisement