Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Chipped windscreen from truck

Options
  • 10-03-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

On the way home on Friday I was behind a truck. There was some bits falling off the truck from time to time. I then noticed a fairly big stone, maybe the size of a golf ball falling off the truck. It hit the ground the bounced onto my windscreen leaving a small-ish hole with cracks about three inches long coming from it.

Is the company who owns the truck responsible for this or is it one of those things that nobody persues?

I have the reg of the truck and company name.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd chase them. If it were a pebble thrown up by a wheel then i'd let it go, but shedding stones from the load is another thing altogether. This is just my personal stance on the matter, though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Fauldy Banny

But will they not claim that it could have been a stone thrown up by a wheel, then where would I stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I suspect that both the company and their insurers will take the view that you were driving too close. It is incredibly difficult to apportion blame in these cases but it is still worrth a try. If you have fully compo with windscreen cover you can get your screen replaced without loss of NCB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I really don't know. Why not call your insurance company and ask them? I'm sure they've dealt with this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I am pretty sure that the driver is obliged to have a cover for any loose load that may present a danger if it falls out. I thought that things like gravel, stones, sand or even rubbish had to have a tarp or other cover on them to prevent exactly this sort of thing happening. I have just done a quick google and didn't find anything though so I might be wrong.

Other than that it does sound like a safe distance was being kept - if the OP was far enough back that a lump came off teh trailer, hit the road and had time to bounce up to windscreen height again then he can't have been too close.

You've nothing to lose by giving them a tinkle and being polite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

andrewh5 wrote: »
    I suspect that both the company and their insurers will take the view that you were driving too close. It is incredibly difficult to apportion blame in these cases but it is still worrth a try. If you have fully compo with windscreen cover you can get your screen replaced without loss of NCB etc.

Funnily enough i was wondering the same thing today on my way to work, i came to the conclusion that the insurers have that policy to avoid cases like this one!

Advertisement