Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options
  • 10-03-2008 1:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Its interesting that whilst the media went on in such a rediculous fashion about last nights storm (and have got their fingers burnt) a more damaging period of wind tomorrow night is likely - and we will hear nothing about it!

Anyway Tuesday night will be cold and very windy with some wintry showers. I think winds will be stronger on Tuesday night then they were at any time last night (esspecially over the Northern half of the country) which could lead to more disruption with fallen branches and trees and that sort of thing. With low temperatures some of the showers will fall as hail, sleet and snow.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn421.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Éireann seem a lot less concerned about Tuesday night than they did with last night's event:
    Cold with westerly winds strengthening further Tuesday evening and possibly becoming stormy again on Tuesday night in western and northern areas mainly with heavy showers at times and some may be wintry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it won't be anything to tell your grandkids about but we do quite well out of these scenarios in terms of gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'll believe it when I see it. BOOOURNS! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Here's how the latest ECMWF run handles this potential:

11.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if that comes off as projected, would it be engaging in hyperbole to suggest gusts of up to 70 mph inland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

darkman2 wrote: »
    Its interesting that whilst the media went on in such a rediculous fashion about last nights storm (and have got their fingers burnt) a more damaging period of wind tomorrow night is likely - and we will hear nothing about it!

Anyway Tuesday night will be cold and very windy with some wintry showers. I think winds will be stronger on Tuesday night then they were at any time last night (esspecially over the Northern half of the country) which could lead to more disruption with fallen branches and trees and that sort of thing. With low temperatures some of the showers will fall as hail, sleet and snow.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn421.png

If you saw all the snow around wicklow this afternoon, think of what will be up there after this system passes through. Camera at the ready.

Kippure wrote: »
    If you saw all the snow around wicklow this afternoon, think of what will be up there after this system passes through. Camera at the ready.
    Yup the snow came down to about 300metres.
    It looks like a good cover right across the south of the county above that level from my view here.
    It's probably melting fast though except up on lug.

It looks like a good cover right across the south of the county above that level from my view here.

That wind really whipped up some drifts. Couple of cars got stuck this morning, however the middle part of the road is clear. Lots of slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Seriously ouch for much of Ireland from this thing, looks like a spell of 6/9 hours of intense winds.

gfs-0-39-3h.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It will come down to the lowest levels tomorrow night with heavy showers and very cold air embedded on the latest runs. Should not accumulate but expect some flakes.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn362.png

• Advertisement

We are looking at gust potential across Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster of between 140-150km/hr overnight Tuesday, so potential for gusts to 90mph.

Widespread gusts from 100-120km/hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bah! As usual Dublin gets hardly any bad weather! ;)

Confab wrote: »

Dublin coudl be one of the worst affected counties in this, it's in and around North Leinster..... i'm expecting gusts to 130km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rushbrook

Confab wrote: »

not sure I agree with u there about Dublin not getting any bad weather .. last nights "anticlimax" cost me a wooden fence which now looks like decking on my garden and a satellite dish which needs to be seriously re-aligned , though on the plus side I now have italian tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

It was like sleeping in a tumble dryer last night living right on the coast as I do, it’s cost me some roof tiles and a new sand dune had appeared in my garden!:eek:

This storm is going to be a beast.

UKM has really upped the anti with its 12z Fax chart update.

Some severe weather.

This is for midnight Tuesday

PPVG89.png

A difference of 36 millibars between the south coast of Ireland and the North coast :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

From the UK Met -
    UK Met

Following the very windy conditions experienced across the south of the UK through Monday the Met Office is expecting unsettled conditions to continue with more severe gales to affect the UK later this week.

Forecasters at the UK's national weather service have issued an early warning of severe gales with potentially damaging gusts forecast for late Tuesday and into Wednesday.

High winds with gusts of 60 to 70 m.p.h., and perhaps 80 m.p.h. gusts over exposed coasts and hills. Areas most at risk of this spell of severe weather are likely to be north Wales, the Midlands, Northern Ireland and northern England.

Nick Grahame, Chief Forecaster at the Met Office said: "We are forecasting another swathe of severe gales to affect parts of the UK, although the focus further north compared to the severe weather on Monday.

"With this spell of strong winds the Met Office is predicting further disruption to transport and power supplies, as well as the potential of damage to buildings and trees."

People are advised to stay in touch with the latest weather forecast and warnings on the Met Office website, and tune into local radio and TV.

Doesn't look like much of an event for those of us in the southern half of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doesn't look like much of an event for those of us in the southern half of the country.

Surely your having an 'event' at the moment - not sure how south you are ? but it looks really bad over Cork, Kerry and Limerick at the moment?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Surely your having an 'event' at the moment - not sure how south you are ? but it looks really bad over Cork, Kerry and Limerick at the moment?

Waterford... It's wet and blustery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I got maybe 3 hours of light sleep with the storm last night, was like the apocalypse had arrived outside, not looking forward to tomorrow night if a repeat is on the cards.
    That said driving by the snowy mountains on the way home this evening was pretty cool :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    That said driving by the snowy mountains on the way home this evening was pretty cool :)
    Yeah they looked pure icelandic.
    All that was missing were the geysers,the volcanoe's and gushing steam :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Longfield wrote: »
    I got maybe 3 hours of light sleep with the storm last night, was like the apocalypse had arrived outside, not looking forward to tomorrow night if a repeat is on the cards.

Whats the deal with last night, so many boardsies from the south-west, west but also Dublin & Wicklow reporting vicious loud winds from last night, yet we in Meath had a few gales, nothing more than 20 to 30mph if even that, only way we cud hear the wind was to step outside:). Did the wind blow really bad from the west and then suddenly stop skiping from Louth, through Meath, into Kildare etc and then suddenly get really bad again around Dublin & Wicklow?? I can understand the high winds in the west but why did Dublin and Wickow get really bad winds when counties bordering had hardly anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Gonzo wrote: »
    Whats the deal with last night, so many boardsies from the south-west, west but also Dublin & Wicklow reporting vicious loud winds from last night, yet we in Meath had a few gales, nothing more than 20 to 30mph if even that, only way we cud hear the wind was to step outside:). Did the wind blow really bad from the west and then suddenly stop skiping from Louth, through Meath, into Kildare etc and then suddenly get really bad again around Dublin & Wicklow?? I can understand the high winds in the west but why did Dublin and Wickow get really bad winds when counties bordering had hardly anything.

I couldn't agree more. Nothing more then the odd gust of wind last night for me in Dublin 15. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »

I agree, we had absolutely nothing lastnight. There were days lastweek when it was far windier. I dont understand how dublin got bad winds?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Obviously, I would suggest, something to do with the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, the wind direction and funnelling of the wind? The strong winds seemed to hug the east coast and most the Wicklow boardsies, afaik, live in the eastern half of Wicklow?

The wind here was pretty bad (but not exceptional I would say). Although I did record my highest wind speed, 43.1mph, since I got my weather station last July - note that I still have not put up my anemometer properly, so windspeeds were probably higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I live at 204 metres elevation in a valley between Scarr mountain and a local hill (dunno if it even has a name).
    Believe me, it was apocalyptic here last night - a wind thats almost straight north or south seems to be very strong here, also you really have to experience it to believe how loud a full gale sounds beside a evergreen forest, the noise through the tress is absolutely massive.
    Wind has gone northerly here and has really gotten up again, I'm going to be very short of sleep come Wednesday morning I think.

Also see this picture posted earlier to see why us south easterners in particular experienced some pretty rough conditions last night.

aa.gif

Anyhow, enough of my crying, hope you all get some howling gales in the next couple of nights so as not to be left out :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind would not blow as strong over land due to friction from elevated area's, hills, trees buildings and general ground itself.There are too many obstacles slowing the wind right down.
    At significant height, the wind tends to be stronger than at sea level due to lower atmospheric pressure.

Around the coasts it is far windier as there is no friction over the water.

Advertisement