Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Mothman wrote: »
    Wasn't me, I'm south of the violent winds, no damage here.

It was me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

getting more and more voilent here in raheny and lashing rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

What's your part of the world Darkman2?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

squonk wrote: »
    What's your part of the world Darkman2?

Not too far from you near Malahide Eastuary......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Anyone out with their kite?

• Advertisement

Going to call it a night here now. Tiredness setting in so unless the roof is blown clean off the house, I'll sleep through anything at this stage!

One final word.. my pressure seems to be on the rise now. That may be from the sensor suite falling off the table earlier or it could be th at we're the other side of the eye, which we should be anyway by now. 982 is what I'm seeing here btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

For all those departing Goodnight :)
    I'll stay up a little longer, I've already slept a bit ;)

mean is staying below 30mph, only a few gusts above 45mph

squonk wrote: »
    One final word.. my pressure seems to be on the rise now. That may be from the sensor suite falling off the table earlier or it could be th at we're the other side of the eye, which we should be anyway by now. 982 is what I'm seeing here btw
    Yes pressure on the rise with me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Probably a think question though are flights still running, like will the Aer Lingus flights from NY still be on route or what?. Imagine flying in that!...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i dont know too much about weather so can anybody point me in the direction of some charts, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Feelgood wrote: »
    Probably a think question though are flights still running, like will the Aer Lingus flights from NY still be on route or what?. Imagine flying in that!...

You'd be well above it, but the flights due in at 5.30am from states could have fun landings. Check the Dublin airport site, there all due in more or less on time, good luck to the pilots.

In the end the max gust at synoptic station was 84mph at Belmullet, same as what Valentia recorded on Monday.

Max gust at Dublin Airport was 69mph, though there was force 9 there for couple hours, and judging by fallen tree reports, there were stronger gusts locally.

Pretty much the places that got the stormy conditions on Monday missed it overnight, and so between both depressions, they got the country covered.

The mean with me since midnight is 27mph, max gust 58mph.

Feelgood wrote: »
    At 37,000ft,the planes from New York would be well above this storm and flying in tailwinds maybe 3 or 4 times as strong as what was felt at Dublin airport ofr Shannon.
    It is normal that they fly in winds that speed,they actually use the N atlantic jetstream to save fuel as it gives them a shorter flight time over here.
    Due to the storms it would have been faster in the last week giving record quick transatlantic crossings for the flights.

Where they have a problem is if theres strong crosswinds when landing.That would probably have been a problem for early flights this morning.

Meanwhile here,max gust at 3am was 51mph from the sheltered by the hills west.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

The remnants of this storm have claimed one significant casualty, todays racing at Cheltenham, there's going to be plenty of Irishmen with time on their hands..........

Mothman wrote: »
    Max gust at Dublin Airport was 69mph, though there was force 9 there for couple hours, and judging by fallen tree reports, there were stronger gusts locally.
    I've had a few fallen tree's here though including some laurels in the grove and I've concluded that they were already weakened by the previous storm.
    Well updated 12z GFS goes for sustained 85 km/hr winds and gusts to 135 km/hr over Dublin at 3am tonight.

In old money, sustained 53mph gusting to 83mph.......

Yikes:eek:
    And GFS was wrong.There wasn't one recorded gust at either 70mph or higher at Dublin airport at the height of the storm
    I expect the period between 2300 and 0500 to see a good number of gusts above 70mph in Dublin Airport and possibly reaching 80mph at times.
    I was doubting that earlier yesterday and it looks like I was right to doubt it.
    I think I mentioned exposed counties in the west and Northwest that would see those kind of gusts.
    The topography of the land track did mellow the effect of the tight isobars if only by about 10 or 15mph or so.
    (My Granny always said self praise is no praise so I'll shut up now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Any sign of this wind fcuking off yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

@BB you have cheered me with your spoiler:D

Well get this, off to bed to catch up on some badly needed sleep only to be kept awake with the wind untill 4am when like a switch was thrown and the wind just stopped.

So this morning checked the console to see the +60mph gust only to find a 43mph gust recorded as the high. No chance WTF:( only to check to see if it had fallen or something and noticed a DUNNES STOREs plastic bag had clung to one of my cups 26foot up,spun around, tangled and somehow snapped off by the force of the wind.I presume so as bag and cup was on the deck this morning, bloody typical:rolleyes:

Was still recording wind speed at a much reduced rate though minus a cup.
    At least i have a spare, cause somehow i knew a bag would get tangled around one of the cups one year in probably the worst storm for years, snap off and under record on the station:rolleyes:.That is worth two:pac::pac: 's.

Anyways, no real damage done around here only a neighbours wheelie bin who lives 8 doors down managed to find its way outside my front garden.Some trees leaning but none snapped nor have i seen branches downed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was the worst of the winter, I have no tools to meaure but it felt stronger than Sunday/Monday.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Peak of the storm in my neck of the woods arrived about 2am - the winds were really howling for at least an hour. Thankfully no missing roof slates just an upturned wheelie bin. Can't imagine what it would have been like in Belmullet or Achill Island though!

• Advertisement

Woke up this morning and wondered why I had updated rain readings because the sensor suite got blown off my picnic table last night. Turns out it got clean blown off and landed upright on the grass! Takes some wind to do that!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very good storm last night here, it was impressive enough to be a storm yet not dangerous enough to cause any damage etc which is the main thing. Now that its mid-March can winter please leave and summer start showing its first signs soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

A few trees down around here, including one on the golf course just behind the house and one in Citywest hotel which hit four cars in the car park!

My max recorded gust was 122km/h which was higher than Sundays/Mondays storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

One final footnote to this weeks series of depressions, I was told this evening that Intel had to suspend production in one of the FAB plants, because the air pressure was too low, below 968 mb they have problems calibrating their equipment.

Advertisement