Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think we should change the title of the thread from very strong winds to Severe Storm, i am actually worried some people might overlook this, the 18z paints an even severer picture.

Every chance of gusts above 80mph through the capital tomorrow nigt and Wednesday evening.

Scary stuff

Makes me question whether we should actually be looking for something like this..

gfs-0-33-3h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Eek, that IS a proper storm, no buts about it.
    I agree WC, changing the title.
    I've unimaginatively changed the title to "severe storm discussion", am open to suggestions, that chart really is THAT bad I think real damage could be done.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Just checked out dew points for tomorrow night, close to zero around midnight in much of the country - so gale force winds and showers and freezing dew points, going to be interesting in showers which will be flying accross the country.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So compared to last night, how bad will this be?

Looks like it could be pretty rough for the northern half of the country.
    Gale or severe gale force winds, heavy rain, low dew points, could be pretty bad.
    In the southern half, gales with ocassional showers, most frequent in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Met Eireann say on their website that Casement experiences stronger winds than the rest of Dublin when the wind is from the SW due to it's proximity to the mountains and I attest to that being just up the road, recorded a gust of 111 km/h last night and had to nail some bits of the shed back on!

When the wind is W/NW, like it will be tomorrow it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

just looking at the news (UK) looks like it dropped south last night, but lots of warnings about tomorrow night, saying even into southern Scotland

Some nice wave footage there tonight from the south of England

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Longfield wrote: »
    Looks like it could be pretty rough for the northern half of the country.
    Gale or severe gale force winds, heavy rain, low dew points, could be pretty bad.
    In the southern half, gales with ocassional showers, most frequent in the west.

Worse than last night so? XCWeather's wind prediction for EIDW peaks out at 45mph sustained at around 3am Wednesday. I'm tempted to believe from what I've heard here that that may be a little optimistic?

nemonoid wrote: »
    Met Eireann say on their website that Casement experiences stronger winds than the rest of Dublin when the wind is from the SW due to it's proximity to the mountains and I attest to that being just up the road, recorded a gust of 111 km/h last night and had to nail some bits of the shed back on!

When the wind is W/NW, like it will be tomorrow it doesn't seem to be nearly as bad out here.

Yes Dublin Airport and my location are very esposed to W, WNW winds, which are expected tomorrow!

Could be damage done tomorrow in the city, a few more runs to go though so it's course might alter slightly.

As in how it compares to todays storm, well for Dublin it will be a helluva lot worse. We hit 55mph last night? Tomorrow we'll hit 75mph maybe even more.

Seriously ouch for much of Ireland from this thing, looks like a spell of 6/9 hours of intense winds.

gfs-0-39-3h.png

What do the colours mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I was going over the speeds and trying to rate how much worse ~80mph was than 53-55mph. "Helluva lot" sounds like my answer :D

I wouldn't mind but the power here tends to be a bit unstable at the best of times let alone when every ESB pole for miles is on its side.
    What do the colours mean?
    Dunno what units that scale is in...I've been looking at the barometer readings, tighter the isobars are packed as a general rule means more wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

We could be talking more squall than storm away from Ulster. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i notice some people are being more cicrumspect about this one:p

Longfield wrote: »
    Just checked out dew points for tomorrow night, close to zero around midnight in much of the country - so gale force winds and showers and freezing dew points, going to be interesting in showers which will be flying accross the country.
    Remember yours and artictree's dewpoint will be lower than whats programmed in the nwp's because you are on high ground nestled in between even higher mountains.

Regarding last nights storm,I came across a couple of tree's down this morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gfs-0-24.png

Looks a little more to the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Tonights storm looks alot worse then mondays. Do people actually realise that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

i think some people are all 'stormed out' kippure and just dont want to know about it.
    It looks a belter allright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Damomanye wrote: »
    i think some people are all 'stormed out' kippure and just dont want to know about it.
    It looks a belter allright.

Indeed - and the media I suspect will lie low...after what they predicted for Monday really was an overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Personally I'm looking forward to it but I'm being cautious after what happened Monday. Also, Met Eireann aren't pegging it as anything overly dramtic. Windy alright but the temps they're forecasting don't seem to turn this into the blizzard fest that was being mentioned on the board here earlier. I'd like a good hail whiteout really just as a consolation! I'm sure though that once temps drop a bit and the wind rises that there will be plenty of posters back into the fray!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Kippure wrote: »
    Tonights storm looks alot worse then mondays. Do people actually realise that yet?

oh no ,not again , ive had enough , before i go to work tell me my loc is out of the firing line this time , anyone , what's the latest.

• Advertisement

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=eu&sat=ir

Looking like a fine system already, this one is going to crack into us with a bang.

Were talking widespread gusts to 80mph with gusts to 70mph even inland.

Areas worst affected will be Ulster, Connacht and Northern areas of Leinster, from North Wicklow northwards..

Luckily the worst will occur overnight but still i expect some disruption to power etc..

Also the risk of snowfall with low temps and heavy precip about.

Overall not a night to be hitting the town or anything like that!

Should all kick off in the west from around 1800 and be at its worst in Dublin around 3am tomorrow morn.

No severe weather warning issued by Met Éireann anyway...

The Irish Independent has this...
    Much of the country escaped the worst of yesterday's gales because Ireland was almost directly in the calm eye of the storm.

The eye was unusually wide, according to Met Eireann, and encompassed most of the country, ensuring that most strong winds had passed over by the time people were out of bed.

But they warned that another storm will pass over Ireland late tonight and early tomorrow morning.

The latest storm may lead to worse conditions and could cause damage and travel chaos because the eye will veer towards Scotland rather than Ireland.

I agree with the location of the strong winds.
    They are a tad more south and maybe even more so when the time comes only slightly.
    I'm actually expecting my peak wind speed to be equalled or at least near equalled if the wind is westerly.
    North westerly won't do it as the hills will act as a shelter belt.
    Dublin is quite exposed but in a North westerly even with isobars this tight,you have to remember that the land track topography will come into play slowing some of the strongest winds there.
    Thats probably why the Met aren't as worried about this storm vis a vis Eastern urban areas.

Now if I was in sligo... or Bundoran...

As for snow,thats likely to be above 900ft again like monday morning if at all.

122kumx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dublin is quite exposed but in a North westerly even with isobars this tight,you have to remember that the land track topography will come into play slowing some of the strongest winds there.
    Thats probably why the Met aren't as worried about this storm vis a vis Eastern urban areas.

Very true BB, the topography should play its part in slowing winds down a tad but look at the gradient, it is much tighter than sundays/mondays event. I be expecting to equal the gusts experienced by the SSE onshore winds which are friction free but had a wider gradient.

Kippure wrote: »

It certainly looks a lot worse for those in northern areas.

And here's a nice pic of the developing storm taken at 09:00

15cmx4y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

On met.ie now - also sent out to local authorities.
    Weather Warning

Issued at 11 March 2008 - 11:40
    Warning of Severe Weather
    General : A storm depression of c. 960 hPa , will pass to the north of Ireland overnight and move in over Scotland. A swathe of gale force westerly winds will affect Ireland with severe gusts in many places. The winds will be strongest over Ulster, Connacht and the northern half of Leinster.

Warning :Southwest to west winds will increase 30 to 45 knots (55 to 85 km/h) this evening and will gust 60 to 65 knots (110 to 120 km/h) overnight and for a time on Wednesday.
    But in exposed parts of Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster winds are likely to gust as high as 80 knots (150 km/h).
    Seas in excess of 10 metres will affect Atlantic coasts.
    There will be some heavy and prolonged showers over Ulster and Connacht, and some will be thundery and wintry.

Valid from 11/1800 to 12/1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Sea area forecast winds
    Met.ie wrote:
    Southwest gales this afternoon, with strong gale to storm force westerly winds developing this evening and tonight on all Irish coastal waters and on the Irish Sea. Winds will reach violent storm force 11 at times overnight on coasts from Erris Head to Fair Head to Howth Head and on the Irish Sea north of Anglesey.
    Issued at 12:00 on 11-Mar-2008

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Pressure revised downwards I notice. At 11:55 last night they forecast the drpression to be circa 970mb. This is a good development :D

• Advertisement

Yes looks like the Met are catching up on what could be a really disrupting storm.

Widespread gusts of 70mph and upto 90mph in exposed areas.

This is a proper storm :eek:

Advertisement