Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

As Joe Swanson would say... BRING IT ON!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It will be interesting to see how high the gusts are in Belumllet.
    Although, i think Malin head may just record the highest gusts out of this.

Anyway this won't last long but of course it doesn't have to cause structural damage. I expect this will last about five - six hours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Been fairly calm here in Connemara this am, even a bit of blue sky for 5 minutes.
    About 20 minutes ago, whilst overcast & breezy, there was about 2 minutes of extremely strong gusts, my guess about 50kts. Blowing a steady 30-odd knots now, cloud broken/scattered at about 1000ft, full cover at about 3000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Here you can see it developing at 12:00 :

108iik8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Kippure wrote: »
    Tonights storm looks alot worse then mondays. Do people actually realise that yet?

I realised that 3 days ago..;)

Here is latest ECMWF's chart for midnight tonight. Looking breezy over Northern half of country:

Wenstorm.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

From the UK Met -

Tonight will be stormy with widespread westerly gales which will give violent gusts of between 110 and 150 km/h - highest gusts will affect exposed parts of Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster. Squally showers will be heaviest and most frequent in the north and northwest, with falls of hail, sleet and hill snow at times. Lowest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees with frost in sheltered areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

just got the forecast on the bbc . it said gusts in excess of 80 mph across Northern Ireland. I told you Paddy 1 the last one was just a dress rehearsal for the main event:p

It will be interesting to see how high the gusts are in Belumllet.
    Although, i think Malin head may just record the highest gusts out of this.

Anyway this won't last long but of course it doesn't have to cause structural damage. I expect this will last about five - six hours here.
    You'll feel this one more than the last one.
    What will wedge this apart from the last one is that most people will feel high gusts away from the far south.
    I remain unconvinced that there will be frequent gusts above 70 mph in Dublin though.
    There will be some gusts to that level or higher but gusts in or about 50 or 60mph will be more common than the 70's or 80's I think.They'll be more common up the west coast from Galway through Mayo,Sligo,Donegal,Derry,Antrim and those sort of areas.

In short elsewhere,it will be very windy but not a hurricane.

See theres my Michael Fish moment-though hopefully not.

Incidently,just because the sea area forecast for the Irish sea north of Anglesea is violent storm 11 - it doesn't follow that you will get that on the coast-you would have to be a few miles out in the Irish sea to start experiencing that ie away from the lee of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Some decent gusts here in County Roscommon in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wind picking up here already.. consistent gusts into the 40kts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Incidently,just because the sea area forecast for the Irish sea north of Anglesea is violent storm 11 - it doesn't follow that you will get that on the coast-you would have to be a few miles out in the Irish sea to start experiencing that ie away from the lee of the land.

There should be a big difference between the M2 buoy and Dublin airport even though there moreorless on the same latitude. M2 buoy is located approx 26miles east of DAP. Will watch this later to see how much the windspeed is slowed due to topography overland at the airport.

Pretty violent shower just passed through here with sudden squall, winds still gusty post shower. This could be good. 978.4 mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

In the last five minutes it has gotten very windy and started to rain in South Dublin..It was sunny and mild out about 30 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Progged winds for tonight:

Midnight:
    18.png

3am:
    21.png

I wouldn't rule out some pretty strong winds affecting most of the northern half BB, as there is a tight gradient progged to cross the northeastern area around the time period above.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Agreed Marky

Looks like the bad weather is moving in over the city as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

Just had a heavy shower here in finglas. It got very windy with strong gusts.

Snowbie wrote: »
    There should be a big difference between the M2 buoy and Dublin airport even though there moreorless on the same latitude. M2 buoy is located approx 26miles east of DAP. Will watch this later to see how much the windspeed is slowed due to topography overland at the airport.
    My sea faring advice is coming out in me.
    I know that on the East coast if the wind has any sort of a westerly element to it,you can safely sail within a few miles of the coast.You would be insane to go too far out though as you lose the lee and worse you hit the bigger waves.
    I'd imagine the strongest wind on the Irish sea though and the ones mentioned in the sea area warning (ie the sustained 11) are more likely to be in the East of the area closer to the GB coast.
    Put it to you this way,if I were to be paid a random sum of say 100 million Euro (which would be roughly my non negotiable price in these conditions) and given a choice to sail in either Dublin Bay or Liverpool Bay at the height of this storm,I'd be picking Dublin Bay :pac::pac::pac:

Squall of hail/sleet just went through there.

Winds now getting very serious here with approach of shower, worse than anything on sunday night. Sky now black.

• Advertisement

Incidently Isn't there a well known topographical funnel effect for south west and west winds in the Dublin area? Does that apply to NW winds also? I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Squall of hail/sleet just went through there.

Saw that shower fly by me. Just had a bit of rain here. Upper temps down to -6 tonight and the dew points will be condusive to sleet/snow in the southern half of the country. Dont be supprised to see some flakes;)

http://www.meteociel.com/ukmo/run/UW24-7.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

getting fairly hairy here in the midlands!
    feeling CCCccccccold with the readout in my jeep saying 8degrees and 970 on the Barometer.
    Nasty showers passing by too.

so, tonights the main event ehhhh, batten down the hatches.......:pac: (dont know why i'm using this pacman smilie) LOL

can anyone tell me, will wed and thurs night be ok weather wise as i may want to catch a ferry to the uk - will the sea's be ok by then?

thanks,

NIF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Its really warm here in south Dublin and the rain has stopped now :D

You can see from this map that Dublin is much more exposed to W and NW winds than S or SW winds

285px-Topography_Ireland.jpg

Winds have lulled again, but snowflakes in the rain despite temperature of 6.1c.

You can see from this map that Dublin is much more exposed to W and NW winds than S or SW winds

285px-Topography_Ireland.jpg
    <sarcasm>Wow.
    Is that Ireland? <sarcasm>
    I never mentioned southerlies.
    Of course Dublin is not exposed to southerlies.
    That map doesnt explain funnel winds over Dublin though WC.
    The two highest gusts recorded at Dublin airport were W or WSW and a result of the funnel effect enhancing the windflow locally in a storm.
    They weren't northwesterlies.

Now question is,will Dublins highest gusts tonight also come from that direction prior to the swing Northwest.

WC if you are expecting frequent gusts in Dublin over 70 or 80 mph, you must be expecting records to be broken.
    I don't think they will but they might,there is potential with funneling.

I googled this for you to read whilst you are waiting for the winds to speed up later ;)

I expect the period between 2300 and 0500 to see a good number of gusts above 70mph in Dublin Airport and possibly reaching 80mph at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Jaysus it's horrible outside now in Clondalkin. Was just out for a few minutes. Delighted to be back in. Gusty Wind and rain. Getting stoked about tonight now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Very strong gusts here at the moment - its hitting already?!

Advertisement