Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm in Blanchardstown corporate park and I'm wondering to myself why I drove the motorbike into work today. It's vicious out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's getting windy around the country already....

Gust of 58mph at Belmullet, 54mph at Dublin Airport, 59mph at Shannon Airport and in the south a gust of 44mph in Rosslare and 62mph at Marathon.

Very strong gusts here at the moment - its hitting already?!
    Not really.
    What you are feeling are squals associated with passing showers.
    We had a 42mph gust here in one a half hour ago.
    Nice downdraft of hail in it too.

Looks impressive here in this pic taken at 15:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I'm in Blanchardstown also and it's looking very feckin hairy outside! :pac:

• Advertisement

It's getting windy around the country already....

Gust of 58mph at Belmullet, 54mph at Dublin Airport, 59mph at Shannon Airport and in the south a gust of 44mph in Rosslare and 62mph at Marathon.
    Actually the last gust I saw in Dublin airport was 66mph in a shower.
    Belmullet almost 70mph

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

My mean is very low and gusts are results as downdrafts from the showers.All is calm out there now as the showers pass.
    Winds from the storm should pick up in the early evening hitting the W and NW first.

Edit:see BB got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks impressive here in this pic taken at 15:00.

God that's deadly! Have to keep an eye on that site in future. Monday's storm would have rocked at that resolution :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Been very windy here all day, about the same as Sun night, perhaps 10 % less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

It's nice and bright with a blue sky here at the moment so it was just due to the squalls obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very gusty here at the moment.

I see Dublin AP is at 45mph gusting to 60mph - do you guys think, 1) this is just associated with a squall, 2) this is just the start of worse to come, or, 3) the forcast winds are arriving approx. 9/12 hours early, i.e. will not get much more than this???

It looks like the storm centre is moving in slighty more south than predicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Damn, just went out to move bins to safe location etc and 2 fivers blew out my pocket.

By my reckoning they should be heading somewhere between Naas and Roscrea, if anyone in this area finds 2 fivers, (or 1 as they may have seperated) PM me and I'll give you the details to send them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looking interesting.

If you look at the latest satellite loop you can see the speed of the clouds zipping under the low.

Worst swathe of winds through southern Ulster, Connacht and Northern Leinster.

Looks like its gonna be hairy tonight from 9pm
    > 5am

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very gusty here at the moment.

I see Dublin AP is at 45mph gusting to 60mph - do you guys think, 1) this is just associated with a squall, 2) this is just the start of worse to come, or, 3) the forcast winds are arriving approx. 9/12 hours early, i.e. will not get much more than this???

It looks like the storm centre is moving in slighty more south than predicted?

The winds now are mainly just squalls. You can see in this sat loop the storm is still off to the NW of Ireland. The worst is to come later this evening through till the early hours of Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Heaven's opened up here in Dundalk a few minutes ago, was driving through it and could hardly see on front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ch750536 wrote: »
    Damn, just went out to move bins to safe location etc and 2 fivers blew out my pocket.

By my reckoning they should be heading somewhere between Naas and Roscrea, if anyone in this area finds 2 fivers, (or 1 as they may have seperated) PM me and I'll give you the details to send them to.

I found a five just out side the Raheen industrial Estate not less than five minutes ago. I'll keep an eye out for the other one.

BTW gust of 102 kmph recorded at Shannon, it is not very nice out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Probably not the best day for nervous flyers to be in one of those wee Aer Arran planes! :eek:

Winds gathering strength here, squall going through now which is bending some very big trees like they're drinking straws, sleety rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I just found 2 20c coins, a fifty cent & a few coppers.

Yessssssss........there's been some change in the weather.

(I'll get me coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

big b wrote: »
    Probably not the best day for nervous flyers to be in one of those wee Aer Arran planes! :eek:

Winds gathering strength here, squall going through now which is bending some very big trees like they're drinking straws, sleety rain.
    The vomit comets, its even turbulent on quiet days in them planes.

Calmer now in between the showers which are beefy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

In last couple of hours there has been some quite strong gusts(certainly stronger than anything in the last few days), especially before the showers. Noticed one branch down on my road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

very gusty in Sth Dublin at the moment, with rain quite heavy when it comes.

Well updated 12z GFS goes for sustained 85 km/hr winds and gusts to 135 km/hr over Dublin at 3am tonight.

In old money, sustained 53mph gusting to 83mph.......

Yikes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

down a fence and now 10e it's not been a great week sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Snowbie wrote: »
    The vomit comets, its even turbulent on quiet days in them planes.

Calmer now in between the showers which are beefy at times.

Strange tbh, in Malahide it hasn't rained in hours yet there's some massive gusts, at a guess I'd say as strong as Sunday's. Possibly a little higher, but then on Sunday there wasn't a pile of green bins out for collection to blow over (and I just saw at least one sliding sideways down the street).

Does look like the heavens are about to open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

m4 buoy recorded 71mph gust already. Here we just had a heavy hail shower with some mental gusts mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Im out here in Dublin airport major gusts outside the office!! Drive safe everyone!!

Squalls getting stronger here.

Wind increasing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

DubArk wrote: »
    Im out here in Dublin airport major gusts outside the office!! Drive safe everyone!!

On that note, I'm worried about the M1 bridge over the estuary where the crosswind signs are - anything too slab sided could easiely have a nasty accident in these conditions, wonder if they've ever closed it?

I think I remember the M50 bridge being closed about a year ago for the same reason, either that or something happened on it.

Edit: Outside is blue skies and bright sunshine to the west, apocalyptic blackness to the east. Definitely squalls, with some light drizzle only for the minute. Clouds in the west look fairly high up too, ~4-5kft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Big gusts in showers just there that make you stop when you walk against it for a moment, so agree its squalls, they ease off a good bit when showers pass and sun then comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I agree that most of the strong gusts up to now are just shower squalls. The real stuff will be after dark. The showers will turn heavier and merge across the Northern half of the country and sleet and snow is likely at times. Altogether a pretty problem especially on hills.

Advertisement