Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UKMO has issued a 'Flash warning of severe weather' for N. Ireland at 17:01.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

GFS 12z synoptic chart for midnight:

Image3.jpg

Looking a bit more widespread. I still expect the strongest gusts tonight to be contained within squalls associated with passing showers, although mean sustained winds look pretty impressive as well.

EDIT:
    Estofex has thunderstorm potential for NW as well:

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2008031206_200803110158_1_stormforecast.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

Comparing 1300-1400z to 1700z image, anyone else think it seems to be spreading out quite a lot? Or is this just my n00by attitude? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Boards is finally back (why is the server so bad?:rolleyes:). Have the worst winds been shifted slightly further south? I think I read that on one of the english forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yes, the strongest gusts are in the squalls. it's incredible to look up into the sky and see the hail being driven along by the wind. i won't be surprised if there is snow at lower levels later on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dave 2008

It has been pretty bad in north kildare/south meath for the last few hours.
    The Dunboyne/Maynooth road was (is??) completely blocked by a fallen tree, had to take a big detour myself to get home around 5.30.

When I got home the windowsill flowers where blown to the ground and the bird feeder toppled.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Aside from the big squalls, temp. has dropped here from a high of 12.4c at midday to 6.4c now with a dewpoint of +1.0c!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Few trees down around here after some freakish gusts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its been quite windy here, certainly more windy than it was on monday, similar conditions to last friday so far, wind hasnt been bad between the showers tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yeah alot of hail showers around now reflecting the drop in temperature. I think there will be snow at low levels tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

lashing here in finglas.With strong gusts,hail and a bit of sleet mixed in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Temp. down to 3.6c at 6.45 - almost 3.0c drop in 1/2 hour. Lull in the winds here at the moment - quite calm.

Squally shower just passed now, and winds have not died down in its wake. The trees out the back are screaming!!! Sky looks mad.

Looks like its moving more to the south at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Looks like its moving more to the south at the moment...
    Yes, comparing the 3-hour forecast on met.ie for both 8pm and 9pm the centre of the low is tracking in a south-east direction.

OK -

Im certain now there will be snow showers tonight. The temperature drop is sharper then expect and some low lying places like Galway are already reporting wet snow. This may get interesting with the wind;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

darkman2 wrote: »
    OK -

Im certain now there will be snow showers tonight. The temperature drop is sharper then expect and some low lying places like Galway are already reporting wet snow. This may get interesting with the wind;)

It was snowing up at the blue light about half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Kippure wrote: »
    It was snowing up at the blue light about half an hour ago.

Now that would be a great place to enjoy a night like tonight :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Which part of Galway is reporting snow Darkman? I am in lowland North Galway and the last shower was just rain and hail.
    Dewpoint is low enough though at 0.3c. Pressure hovering around 980.0 mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sleet/Wet snow in south Laois at 1845hrs. Intense gusts.

• Advertisement

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Which part of Galway is reporting snow Darkman? I am in lowland North Galway and the last shower was just rain and hail.
    Dewpoint is low enough though at 0.3c. Pressure hovering around 980.0 mb.

A poster on NW (Brian McGrath) said there was wet snow in Galway.

Thanks Danno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

i'm quite sure that areas above 100-200 meters will wake up to a nice blanket of snow tomorrow morning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Snowing very heavy now in blessington. Light covering now:)

darkman2 wrote: »
    A poster on NW (Brian McGrath) said there was wet snow in Galway.

Just rang my bro in Galway City and no reports of snow there, so Brian McGrath must be up a hill someplace. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Heavy driving sleet/ wet snow here in County Roscommon now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Very very stormy in Achill tonight.

Lights going on and off all the time won't be long no doubt till we lose power completly.
    Sky tv signal is also gone. Raining very heavy too. joy of joys.

Am I looking at it wrong or is it starting to move a fair bit more to the south than expected?

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb&sat=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snowing in Annamoe too, but too warm for anyhting to settle yet, not particularily heavy.
    Looks like the main showers are further south than forecast, nothing ovr N Ireland which is pretty surprising.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If there is one place I wouldnt like to be tonight it would be Achill!

• Advertisement

Just had a house shaking gust now. I am not even under any squally showers. Storm must be moving in....;)

Edit: Temps actually rising, now 4.3c, up from 3.9c. Although this may be just temporary.

Advertisement