Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday night - Stormy weather - Wintry showers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Yea in the last two minutes it has gotten very windy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm trying to evaluate the risk of snow sticking back home in Louth. What would you say the chances are in south Louth at 150m asl?

Also, how bad would the gusts be for the area??

Edit: I've been making enquiries, it's been described as "stormy". Make what you like out of that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

according to the radio forecast, on radio 1, this is set to last right through the night.

also it says gusts possibly as high as 90 mph. according to the station reports Belmullet recorded a gust of 80 mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭dublinmadyoke

pfkf1 wrote: »
    Extremely windy in south Dublin at the moment easily windier than the last 2 nights, no questions, and the gusts are very severe.

What part of south Dublin are you in? :confused:Sunday night was worse in D14 in my opinion ...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Must sleep . if it gets real bad ill be back, At present the wind is rattling through the trees and howling around the house.

• Advertisement

Twud depend ,I dunno the topography and whether theres higher ground to your northwest.
    If you dont have that ,the height will mean big gusts up there and maybe some light dusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

Near Stillorgan, I think the wind is a good bit stronger than the last 2 nights tonight could be wrong, it certainly more consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Getting pretty rough in Dundalk the last 30-40 min....coming in waves, the sort of wind you can hear whistling in the distance before you get the roar as the gust passes. Definitely cold enough for snow, don't know about sticking...

[edit] House creaked after that last one, and I'm sheltered from the west and NW

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    I noticed that earlier, looks interesting.
    maybe it's a polar low :p

If it's the same second system I was looking at around lunchtime,it has moved a good bit as it was south east of greenland then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Do you think its heading our way?, I have just asked Bren on Two, no response yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Big gusts coming through here now, temp is 2.8c
    I'm getting worried as there are loads of trees in my garden and it's only going to get worse until 4am. Raindops and snowflakes blowing around in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

maybe it's a polar low :p

If it's the same second system I was looking at around lunchtime,it has moved a good bit as it was south east of greenland then.

Estofex have a comment to make on that second wave/low;
    estofex wrote:
    Also in the early Wednesday morning, CVA from the trough sinking SE-ward into central/southern UK can set off convection in high shear area - but this is under weak 2000-4000m lapse rates. More northward near the shortwave trough (possible comma?) deep convection will be able to develop, and steep pressure gradients (but curved isobars) cause severe wind speeds at the mesoscale. Convectively enhanced gusts or an isolated tornado are a possibility, the latter because of >400 m2/s2 SREH.... but actually, CAPE and SREH appear to occur separatedly, reducing this risk.
    http://www.estofex.org/

I know they get excited easily, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Problem is, we're on the NW facing side of a hill. With just the horizon out to the west. And in their glorious wisdom, the ESB have the main wires for the area going over the peak of the hill:rolleyes:

The only word to describe the wind in South Dublin at the moment is wild.

Squeeze is coming in!!!

Storm-1.gif

Gusts of 66mph at Claremorris confirms my own readings, wind getting stronger still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I hit the bed around 11:30/40 and since then the wind has really picked up. It's howling here. Not much precip I think. Anyway, my temp has risen and it's now 4.3 with a dp of 0.6 and they're both climbing. Temp got as low as 3.7 at bedtime and the dp was -1 then so no sneachta for me tonight I think at this rate.

Extremely windy in south Dublin at the moment easily windier than the last 2 nights, no questions, and the gusts are very severe.
    The only word to describe the wind in South Dublin at the moment is wild.

Thats mad cos it fairly calm here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

No sign of it letting up here. The squalls sound vicious. We lost power for half an hour or so.

Not gonna sleep a wink tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Bellmullet fails to report at 0000hrs!! I wonder has it been blown away:eek:

Wind on the increase here with decent gusts..

It is not "calm" in Dublin at the moment for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Getting towards voilent gusts here - winds must be backing NW. The NW and SE of here are most open to winds. :(

• Advertisement

That's going to weaken and become absorbed into the flow as a trough I think. It'll certainly have more gusty winds on it as it comes through Scotland later tomorrow.

That is what Bren just said about secondary low. Scotland, what good is that to us?. Hummph.

Thats mad cos it fairly calm here ...

I'm about a mile from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Seems more consistent tonight alright but it's still to top Sunday night for me too. Certainly picking up,constant howl alright(at a height) but nothing too great at ground level.......so far.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Where are you dublinmadyoke? I am in Dun Laoighre near the sea and its really windy at the moment

First bit of rain coming in now, and still very severe winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it's vicious here now.

~Marky~ wrote: »
    Where are you dublinmadyoke? I am in Dun Laoighre near the sea and its really windy at the moment

Just off Nutgrove Avu... Churchtown Dublin 14. I think perhaps the fact the wind is blowing a different direction tonight it doesn't sound as bad .. i'll stick my head out the window and see.. if I don't post a reply, I will be found someone in the Irish Sea :)

squonk wrote: »
    I hit the bed around 11:30/40 and since then the wind has really picked up. It's howling here. Not much precip I think. Anyway, my temp has risen and it's now 4.3 with a dp of 0.6 and they're both climbing. Temp got as low as 3.7 at bedtime and the dp was -1 then so no sneachta for me tonight I think at this rate.
    That would be the approaching precip thats rising your dp.
    Rain or sleet at low levels alright with stats like that.I'd still be optimistic for artictree and longfield though.
    Not so windy down here at the moment.
    Gusts just above 30mph.
    Air is 4.3c and the dp is -1.1c
    The dp is also rising here.

The precip doesnt look heavy enough on the radar to bring down snow-however the shower in south Dublin looked as light on the radar -yet it was heavy and downdrafted cold air and wet snow with it.
    Ergo I wouldn't completely rule out more wet snow at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Just had a rain shower here. I also opened a window to look out and had it slammed back in my face which set off the alarm so I've just had a call from PhoneWatch now as well! Of course, it was just one of the windows that was open a tad and banged that set off the alarm and not the stupid homeowner going nuts with the prospect of some exciting weather! My God, as I'm writing this the gusts are rising. Another bit and I'll be starting to get worried about the roof and the garden shed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

TAF for Dublin is quite severe

TEMPO 0204 26040G70KT

There usually quite reserved!

Advertisement