Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausage making kit?

Options
  • 10-03-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I'm going to have a go at making my own Sausages.
    I've found a few kits that include a mincer and bits n bobs to get started.
    Uk companies start at around €40 + p&p but does anyone know where I can buy in Ireland and any recommendations on mincers? I'm looking at a manual one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I got my mincer from England, but only because I was getting the casings and other bits and pieces. I'm sure you should pick up a manual mincer in any kitchen shop, but I couldn't source the casings in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Moulinex mincer comes with sausage making kit - these are excellent machines, very sturdy but a bit noisy.

Nisbets.ie are supplying in Ireland. They are a huge catering equipment supplier and will undercut the high street everytime. I have used Nisbets in the UK for years without any hassle.

Nisbets.ie Hand mincer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ask your butcher for casings - I don't know if you can freeze them though!

olaola wrote: »
    Ask your butcher for casings - I don't know if you can freeze them though!

Freezing makes them brittle - most casings are sold heavily salted and will keep for months in the fridge. They need to be washed out with running water for 15 minutes or more to ensure all the saltiness is removed.

I used some hog casings last night - bought them back in July last year. I ate the sausages and have had no side effects at all. As for the fifteen minutes of washing - that's impractical. I ran water through the short length I was using but found that the end disappeared down the plughole. Started with a fresh bit, ran some water through it, with the plug firmly in place - left it to sit in the water for 20 minutes before washing through again just before using.

Stuffing the casings was interesting - two people required if using a hand operated stuffer. Anyone have a tip on avoiding air pockets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Hog casings are a little tougher, so you can afford to stuff them a bit more. I then run the whole length of sausage through my fingers to even out the thickness before linking. This should help with the air pockets. You could always pin-prick any remaining air pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 AJ Vosse

Thanks for all the above info... now, anyone in the North Kildare/ South Meath area with a machine to spare? Please... I have the casings... I have the meat availible... all I need is the tool for the job. Thanks, :)

<Mod edit: Blog link snipped. Read the charter.>

• Registered Users Posts: 47 steveod

I got a meat grinder from Argos for about €40. It was the Anthony Worrol Thompson brand. Had it for about 2 years and use it to grind meat for sausages. It does the job pretty well, and is the best value for money one on the market. If you start looking at the proper chefs meat grinders your talking a few hundred euros.

By the way, I have real trouble getting my hands on some natural casings. Any idea where I muight buy these (none of my butchers use natural, only synthetic)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've bought natural casings from these people without fuss or bother

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info... I'm afraid Santi has passed me by on the suggestion of one of the machines you've mentioned :)
    I need to follow-up on the lead... I'm getting to the stage where making my own 'boerewors' is a must! (Boerewors, South African traditional beef based sausage... ) Good stuff!
    Anyway, you and yours have a great Christmas... I'll drop you a line in the new year when I get the machine... ;)

Cheers,
    AJ
    <Blog link snipped>

• Advertisement

I've bought natural casings from these people without fuss or bother

Thanks for the link... this looks a wothwhile site! :)

Have yourself a great Christmas!

<Blog link snipped>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

AJ, please read the charter before posting here again. If you continue to post your blog link, you will be banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Faith wrote: »
    AJ, please read the charter before posting here again. If you continue to post your blog link, you will be banned.
    i just read it,:confused:mabe some could explain to me what rule was broke,either by pm or posting here..... ta in advance:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

i just read it,:confused:mabe some could explain to me what rule was broke,either by pm or posting here..... ta in advance:)
    Shabadu wrote: »
    NO ADVERTISING - contact an admin if you wish to ply your wares. Site wide ban if not.

NO SPAM - we are not interested in your revolutionary weight loss tablets. This includes blog links! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SPAM YOUR BLOG!

There we go. Spamming blog links is forbidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Faith wrote: »
    Spamming blog links is forbidden.
    no problem,at the time i glanced over their blog and saw you had one also so i couldnt tell the difference to be honest.

cheers

Advertisement