Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dog Whisperer

Options
  • 10-03-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

anyone watch this programme where Cesar Milan's shows methods of creating obedient dogs that acknowledge you as a pack leader and they become the followers. I find the show interesting but as I dont own a dog myself I'm interested in people 's opinions on the techniques he uses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

i've used the techniques and they work better than anything i've ever seen before-its just dog psychology rather than dog training, a trained dog can still be a domineering dog, not something you want around kids or dog fearing people. some people think its about hurting the animal but its not at all, its just blocking its mind from negative situations-mostly done by making a noise that the dog associates with discipline. my dogs are a pleasure and are very well behaved..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

meh, i dont know. IMO dog whispering = common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I don't stand with these dominance theory methods at all. One of these days he is going to get into trouble when a dog stands up to him.

Positive reinforcement using rewards for the dog create a much happier bond between dog and owner that can achieve all and more that breaking a dogs spirit can do. Pretty much all these "new" training methods have been around for thousands of years, he is just another person who is dressing a method up and calling it his own.

Dogs do not need to be bullied into doing what their owners want. Yes you should have a firm voice for letting the dog know that you are serious, same as you might for your kids. Dogs will behave in a way that gets them what they want, make it worth the dogs while to do what you want and he will think it's what he wants too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I've never seen it but is it how he bullies the dogs/shouts at them to get them to do what he wants?

personally I think getting the dog to do something and then rewarding it when it does works fine. i.e. "sit" *dog sits* reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't really think he bullies the dogs - he just shows the owners how to block bad behaviour. He seems to be able to get fearful dogs to be more confident as well - so its hardly just about dominance.

Usually the owners are mollycoddling the dogs to an extreme!

• Advertisement

He basically treats them the way the pack would in the wild, he makes viscious dogs friendly and scared dogs confident, this is done by just been calm and assertive, not shouting-thats the opposite of what he preaches! when he is telling the dog of he gives it a tiny prod with his finger which mimicks a bite, no pain, just association with discipline,

he has a pack of about 40 dogs and half are pitbulls and there all the happiest looking dogs and well behaved too, this fella saves dogs from been put to sleep with his methods.

he does not train dogs, he just gets them back to been dogs instead of been confused humanised dogs, these are the dangerous dogs. he also gives affection once the dog is in a calm mind, giving affection when the dog is not calm just reinforces its condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I have viewed it a good few times, not once have i watched him bully or shout at a dog.He seems to have great success with what he does and if he saves a few dogs here and there from being abandoned its great.Im not too fond myself of dog training with treats all the time, its OK i guess initially but i think praise or rewarding with play is a better idea.Anyway, everyone has their own methods as to what works best for them, as long as no unessecary physical force is used its OK with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

While i would not normally quote wiki the folloWing is true
    Critics
    Cesar has several critics. Despite his results, some view his methods as inhumane. Among his methods are quick leash corrections, quick assertive touches, and walks to drain energy. One controversial method he has made popular is the "alpha roll over" where he physically rolls a dog on its back. Animal behavior expert Patricia McConnell writes in her book The Other End of The Leash, "Well-socialized, healthy dogs don't pin other dogs to the ground. . . . Within their social framework, you're acting like a lunatic." (p. 138)

Dr. Nicholas Dodman, the director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine of Tufts University, has said "Cesar Millan's methods are based on flooding and punishment. The results, though immediate, will be only transitory. His methods are misguided, outmoded, in some cases dangerous, and often inhumane. You would not want to be a dog under his sphere of influence. The sad thing is that the public does not recognize the error of his ways." [20] In a February 23, 2006, New York Times article, Dr. Dodman says of Millan's show, "My college thinks it is a travesty. We've written to National Geographic Channel and told them they have put dog training back 20 years."[6]

Jean Donaldson, the San Francisco SPCA Director of The Academy for Dog Trainers states, "Practices such as physically confronting aggressive dogs and using of choke collars for fearful dogs are outrageous by even the most diluted dog training standards. A profession that has been making steady gains in its professionalism, technical sophistication and humane standards has been greatly set back. I have long been deeply troubled by the popularity of Mr. Millan as so many will emulate him. To co-opt a word like whispering for arcane, violent and technically unsound practice is unconscionable." [21]

Dr. Ian Dunbar, Director of the Center for Applied Animal Behavior in Berkeley says, "He has nice dog skills, but from a scientific point of view, what he says is, well ... different," says Dunbar. "Heaven forbid if anyone else tries his methods, because a lot of what he does is not without danger." [22]

On September 6, 2006, the American Humane Association issued a press release condemning Millan's tactics as "inhumane, outdated, and improper" and called on the National Geographic Channel to cease airing the program immediately. [23]

In October 2006, the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants wrote a letter to the National Geographic Channel regarding concerns "that the program may lead children to engage in unsafe behaviors." The Association called for a change in the program's rating of TV-G. [24]

Well as they say at the start of each show ... "Dont try these techniques at home without the guidance of a professional".

Do you not think the above post is a bit OTT Killme00? It makes it sound as if he is an animal abuser!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ckarsenal

i wonder how much extra work goes into the dogs which is not shown on air. Surely you cant change an aggressive dog just like that overnight. He eems to preach the exact same techniques for all dogs on the show i.e never let them walk in front, never let them leave house first etc. This is obviously repeated over a number of weeks for it to have any effect on the dogs.
    If only i could use the same techniques for my cat at home :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

MsFifers wrote: »
    Do you not think the above post is a bit OTT Killme00? It makes it sound as if he is an animal abuser!

I wont argue the whys and wherefores of his techniques but if you are going to praise him you should be aware of what his peers think of him. This could be jealousy but alot of what they say makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

The guy is on a power trip - look at the the intro to the programme, it's laughable!

Cowzerp-you never answered my question about my westie attacking the telly (see previous post). I asked you for details...how would the great Cesar cope with it? A choke chain perhaps?

My fella thinks an alpha roll is play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭tonym

my westie went mad at the tv i tried on of ceacers technics and it worked i think that he has a great understanding of dogs there is an english women name escapes me she has the same sort of ideas and it works if a dog thinks alpha roll is play ur not doing it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

I don't stand with these dominance theory methods at all. One of these days he is going to get into trouble when a dog stands up to him.

Positive reinforcement using rewards for the dog create a much happier bond between dog and owner that can achieve all and more that breaking a dogs spirit can do. Pretty much all these "new" training methods have been around for thousands of years, he is just another person who is dressing a method up and calling it his own.

Dogs do not need to be bullied into doing what their owners want. Yes you should have a firm voice for letting the dog know that you are serious, same as you might for your kids. Dogs will behave in a way that gets them what they want, make it worth the dogs while to do what you want and he will think it's what he wants too.
    I've watched him a good few times and not once have I seen him bully a dog and never ever raised his voice.
    There was one episode where he brought two dogs into his pack where one was always aggressive and hence the reason the woman came on the show. Within a few minutes he snarled and started biting/fighting with one of Cesar's dogs. You're told to never put your hand in between fighting dogs but how he managed them was amazing. He literally tapped then on the side of the neck, between the top of the shoulder and just below the ear, and both dogs stopped right away. It was crazy. He explained how he pointed his hand so that his thumb and fingers mimicked a dogs mouth and how this would be used by a pack leader and that's the reason they stopped. Again he didn't raise his voice nor was his touch remotely forceful or painful to the dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Goffie wrote: »
    The guy is on a power trip - look at the the intro to the programme, it's laughable!

Cowzerp-you never answered my question about my westie attacking the telly (see previous post). I asked you for details...how would the great Cesar cope with it? A choke chain perhaps?

Power trip cause of the intro? Haven't seen much American Tv have you? That's Americans being Americans tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I think he is brilliant and record the programme everyday.I really do think he know dogs.

Goffie wrote: »

Your fella thinks he is the alpha full stop, this is potentially dangerous and causes bad behaviour such as attacking tele's, these are the type of domineering dogs that attack kids an all-start letting the dog know who's alpha and the behaviour will stop (watch the show to see how humanely)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I think he is very good ,he knows dogs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

i watch it & sometimes it seems to good to be true,the fact that within 2 mins he can control a dog! I was on another forum on another website & the people thier reckoned that he used electric shocks wit the dogs & that they wouldnt show this on tv! they reckon that when he says psst that this gives the impression to the dog of the electric buzz from the collar & frightens the s**t of them! when i try to use psst wit my dog or any dog they just look at me like im mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

tonym wrote: »
    there is an english women name escapes me she has the same sort of ideas and it works if a dog thinks alpha roll is play ur not doing it properly

Victoria Stilwell ("It's Me Or The Dog") is the one you mean I think.
    I much prefer her approach, it's the same kinda thing as Cesar but she seems a lot less agressive in her manner. I don't like watching Cesar especially when he pins the dogs to the ground in that alpha roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

mydarkstar wrote: »
    Victoria Stilwell ("It's Me Or The Dog") is the one you mean I think.
    I much prefer her approach, it's the same kinda thing as Cesar but she seems a lot less agressive in her manner. I don't like watching Cesar especially when he pins the dogs to the ground in that alpha roll.

or do you mean jan fennell the dog listener?

Cesar is good, alot of its sensationalised for tv using all these terms over and over again as some kind of mantra trademark, but alot of what he does mimics what dogs do naturally to each other, although I dont agree with his use of choke chains.

just look d,at this & tell me if you stil have same opinion that cesar is goodhttp://www.seattledogs.com/seattledogsdiscussionarchive_1_Cesar.htm,

just look d,at this & tell me if you stil have same opinion that cesar is good http://www.seattledogs.com/seattledogsdiscussionarchive_1_Cesar.htm,

The thing about the Cesar critics is - I really don't recognise the show from their descriptions of it.

I only saw him put a shock collar on a dog once in the show - and it was for a dog on a farm that kept trying to attack the tractor tyres when it was moving. I don't like the idea of shock collars, but I could see the rational for using one in that case, as the dog had already been run over by the tractor and every other training method had failed to keep the dog at a safe distance.

I've only seen him use the alpha roll on dogs that are nipping, biting or intimidating their owners and others. The only time I've seen him put a dog on a treadmill is if it lives in an area where its too hot to bring a dog for a walk.

I don't know - it seems v. harsh criticism of him - but then again if that case about the dog being injured at his Centre is true then its all a bit scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

lakes wrote: »
    I was on another forum on another website & the people thier reckoned that he used electric shocks wit the dogs & that they wouldnt show this on tv! they reckon that when he says psst that this gives the impression to the dog of the electric buzz from the collar & frightens the s**t of them!
    Speculation of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

I cant imagine a dog 'standing up' to anyone, its a very funny image though! they could have a little placard with a protest message...:p

seriously though, i think its true pack/leader behaviour that he carries out with the dogs he works on, he rarely uses shock collars or choke chains and he doesnt over-use treats or praise which is good i think. 'dominance theory methods' - dominance is what the dog would receive in a pack, its not necessarily a negative idea, and at the end of the day, the owner really should be the 'dominant' leader over their dog. Its more respect than anything else, people treat their dogs too much like humans and then they walk all over them. love and care is one thing but doggy clothes?- now that freaks me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

he rarely uses shock collars or choke chains

He nearly always uses prong collars on the larger breeds.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Some dogs need the dominance aproach. My Dad's friend breeds boxers and one of his guys who is obviously not neutered tried to pin him against the wall in his kitchen. Before that he never used dominance training with any of his other dogs but with Keizer he had to. He is fine now but if he had not taken the dominant aproach when the first incident happened, that dog would have tried to walk all over him. Dogs are like people, they're all very different and respond to training based on their own personalities.
    I do not agree with putting dogs on threadmills to tire them out though. Stop being lazy and go to the park with your dog!!

cotton wrote: »
    He nearly always uses prong collars on the larger breeds.:confused:

Actually he states that he uses the method that the owner uses so that the training is the same as when he is not there, he does not decide what the owner uses, and the treadmill thing is only if people cant walk the dogs, he always reccomends real walking as the best tool to bring a dog back to nature!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I know he states that but if you look closely, a lot of the dogs start off with a lead or harness & end up with a prong collar on them. I watch him purely to see how many times this happens (prong collars are an absolute hate of mine) & it's a lot.

Advertisement