Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VW Golf GT 6 speed 1.6

Options
  • 10-03-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

Anyone have one of these? What are they like? I'm thinking of buying one and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone have one of these? What are they like? I'm thinking of buying one and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks...

I would avoid this engine. It appears to be the old 1.6 litre 8 valve unit that has been around since the early 1990s and only has 102bhp. I'm amazed VW are still flogging this dead horse these days.

Go for the 1.4 TSi GT Sport instead, it is a much more modern engine, comes with 122bhp, 140bhp or 170bhp, more powerful and economical than the old 1.6 lump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Lower VRT and road tax come as standard on the much more modern 1.4 TSI 122 bhp, as well as 20 extra bhp, and something like 50 extra lb ft, as well as 5 mpg better economy.

Hold off till July, and get the 1.4 TSI 122 bhp engine then(and avail of the lower tax etc too, details available in the link in my sig). It's better in every way possible to the 1.6 8 valve engine you were considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The 140 and 170 increse in both VRT and road tax post july. Just took delivery of my 140 GT sport and wow what a car absolutly love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Autocar said last week of the 1.4 tsi engine (in a tiguan) , that below 2000rpm it had the power of a kitchen blender.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Big difference between a 1.4 tsi engine driving a tiguan and a golf.
    The tiguan being a SUV it must be a fair bit heavier.

I had regular non tsi 1.4 golf up until recently and I never had a problem with its power at low revs, it was when it came to overtaking cars at speeds in excess of 80kph it became a pile of sh1t.

The turbocharger in the tsi should solve this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

The OP MUST mean the 1.4 anyway as theres no new 1.6 gt. Buy before july though as mentioned above. Also the 140 or 170 should have more than enough power for you. I own a 170 and its such a great car to drive and has no problem pulling away from the majority of cars.

According to carzone.ie there is a 1.6 GT. The VW Ireland website is seriously outdated though. It doesn't show any GT varients at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

There is a relatively new 1.6 FSI engine, and I reckon it must be the one the op is referring to. Comes with 115bhp.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-performance.aspx?RT=627&ED=50788&U=0

Doesn't seem a bad car but i'd still go for the 1.4 GT Sport though.

1.6 FSi is no more afaik. It was replaced by the 1.4 TSi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Yeah there is no 1.6 TSI due to "fuel emmissions restrictions" I was told by 1 dealer!

I'm thinking of going for the 1.4 TSI (140 BHP) model. Am I right in saying that the engine is both turbo charged and super charged or do these mean the same thing?!

Also, what is the gearbox like on these it it the usual "baulky" VW gearbox or have they improved things?

• Advertisement

The supercharge is on low down revs and turbo charge on the higher revs to give power at any revs. Read somewhere that 90% of the power is available at 1250rpm. Second gear is definitely fun! Hard to find a 140 though in the country (when I was looking anyway) so I went for a 170. The 140 will be an order. Make sure you get the armrest!.. its a completely different centre console and looks ugly without it.

I like the gearbox quite a lot but I wasn't a fan of the shortshifter type gearknob that comes standard in the golfs so fitted a gti 30th edition gearknob..much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Am I right in saying that the engine is both turbo charged and super charged or do these mean the same thing?!

Yes you get both,super charger runs till around 3,500rpm afiak, then the turbo takes over so won't won't feel any turbo lag. Seriously thinking about getting one myself and before this new tax malarkey kicks in. From what I can see it'll be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Where did you get your hands on the gti 30th edition gearknob, i have a 140bhp tsi golf.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    su_dios wrote: »
    The supercharge is on low down revs and turbo charge on the higher revs to give power at any revs. Read somewhere that 90% of the power is available at 1250rpm. Second gear is definitely fun! Hard to find a 140 though in the country (when I was looking anyway) so I went for a 170. The 140 will be an order. Make sure you get the armrest!.. its a completely different centre console and looks ugly without it.

I like the gearbox quite a lot but I wasn't a fan of the shortshifter type gearknob that comes standard in the golfs so fitted a gti 30th edition gearknob..much better!

Fischermotorsport.de and takes under 2mins to fit! Nice touch and golfball look to it

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

su_dios wrote: »
    Fischermotorsport.de and takes under 2mins to fit! Nice touch and golfball look to it

Thanks a million, i appreciate it.
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kev_mcevoy_7

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would avoid this engine. It appears to be the old 1.6 litre 8 valve unit that has been around since the early 1990s and only has 102bhp. I'm amazed VW are still flogging this dead horse these days.

To be politicaly correct
    There is no 1.6 GT sport...its 1.4 petrol @122, 140 and 170 BHP or
    1.9 TDI @105BHP OR...
    2.0 @140 and 170 BHP..

But if its the normal Golf 1.6 8 valve petrol or the 1.4 80 BHP.....they can be troublesome from time to time.....

Advertisement