Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dormer window leak

• 10-03-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

hi all

i have a leak on one of my dormer windows (have 2) it appears to be comming in at bottom of window now it is all sealed with lead flashings and lead mate silicone i cant see where it can be getting in the dormer is plastered.

cant ask roofer as he is long gone and i dont want him back near the place i asked another roofer and he cant see anything wrong on a quick look apart from taking the window out again is there anything i could check.

thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

impossible to tell.

hire an architectural technician to investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

the window should have been placed on a lead TRAY dpc .

i.e. before the window was installed the lead should extend fully below the window cill and be turned up on all sides to form a 3 dimensional TRAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

afaik that was done we reckon the might have damaged the lead fitting the window i will be doing some ringing in the morning to see what i can find out.

funny thing is the other window is as dry as a whistle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BoylerMan

Fatboymsport,
    I had the exact same problem recently (Dec) when our windows were fitted. One dormer (north facing) was perfect. the other which is south facing and perhaps more exposed was leaking along the bottom trim. In fact it was coming in above the pvc cill that the window frame sits on. The installer couldn't figure it out at first as he remembers bedding it in well. In the end the window man took the unit out and re-bedded it. Now it is totally dry...

One good thing about all this wet weather is that it will show up any leaks. The window issue was minor compared to the Chimney leak problem we had. Ended up taking off the slates, stoneworks and re-doing the lead flashing. Never trust anyone when it comes to flashing a chimney. Make sure you see for yourself that it is done right before anything is built on the lead ! :(

Advertisement