Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT, What County Reg Do I Get

Options
  • 10-03-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Trying to get through to VRO office for ages, so thought it would be 100 times faster to get an answer here.

I am about to pay VRT, is it possible to pay in Dublin and get a Dublin Reg number, even though i dont have an address in Dublin.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would assume you get the county you reside in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Your address dictates the number given !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Grinderman wrote: »
    I am about to pay VRT, is it possible to pay in Dublin and get a Dublin Reg number, even though i dont have an address in Dublin.
    Thanks

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Grinderman

Thats pretty crap, I am a mature student in Cork. Just bought the Car and am now going back to Dublin in June, inflicted with a cork reg for the rest of my life (joke)
    Really crap that im paying 3,500 tak and i cant even pick the county that i want.
    What a bunch of CUN*S in the VRO, i got an answer on the phone after about 30 calls.
    When eventually!, VRT is abolished in the year 4008 all the useless ****s will be on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Having a Dublin reg in Cork is worse than having an L plate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ISOT

Grinderman wrote: »
    Trying to get through to VRO office for ages, so thought it would be 100 times faster to get an answer here.

Thanks

mate of mine from mayo gets all his (new) cars with a dublin reg by using a relative's address - you must know someone in Dublin whose address you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

GB15 wrote: »
    Having a Dublin reg in Cork is worse than having an L plate :D

hey! leave the Limerick heads out of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ISOT wrote: »
    mate of mine from mayo gets all his (new) cars with a dublin reg by using a relative's address - you must know someone in Dublin whose address you can use.

Ditto. Cars seem to sell better with a dublin reg so use someones dublin address. There is no check that you actually live there but the reg cert gets sent to that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

quarryman wrote: »
    hey! leave the Limerick heads out of this!
    I think he meant the red sticky ones on the white background;);)

Never had too much hassle in Cork with an L reg

Ditto. Cars seem to sell better with a dublin reg so use someones dublin address. There is no check that you actually live there but the reg cert gets sent to that address.

AFAIK, you can change the address when taxing the car, so the reg will go to your own address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Just give them an english address for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can change the address when taxing the car, so the reg will go to your own address.
    But doesn't the vehicle have to be registered first? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

But doesn't the vehicle have to be registered first? :confused:

Yep thats right.

I didn't say that you could tax the car before it was registered.
    Cars seem to sell better with a dublin reg so use someones dublin address. There is no check that you actually live there but the reg cert gets sent to that address.

If you want the reg to be sent to your own address and not the address at which you have registered the car, then you can do a change of address when taxing the car-you only need the reg number and PIN to tax the car online-you don't need the actual cert. That's the case for imports anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I think the point was that the OP wanted a D plate; not a C plate.

Bloody culchies, coming up here, taking our reg numbers...

(I'm a Dub on a C reg, BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Reg the car to an address in Dublin (of someone you know) in your name. When they get the VLC through in the post, fill out the change of address on the back to your Cork address. This way you get a "D" reg and don't add any owners.

Obviously you need to know someone in Dublin first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

+1

That is the only way to do it. I will taking advantage of that myself when I get a new car.

Advertisement