Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand Alfa GT

Options
  • 10-03-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Have decided to buy a 2006/2005 Alfa GT. My preference is for the JTD however I would go for the 1.8 petrol if the right deal was to be had

Leaving aside the expected Alfa bashing, does anyone know of anything to look out for ie same timing belt life time as 147/156 etc?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Nothing really, they are about as reliable as any other car these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Deffinitely go for the diesel. We had a petrol 156 here, now a GT 1.9D and its a lovely car.

One thing to be aware of is that on a GT if you need to change any of the front bulbs you have to remove the wheels, the underguard and the entire front bumper before you then remove the headlights.

It looks to be about 2 hours work, which seems absolutely crazy, but its true !

Other than the usual T/Belt/Tensioner/Variator problems and the fact that the big end bearings can go...........no problems !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Timing belt etc. interval on the JTD is 5 years/72k miles.

1.8 doesn't seem to be overly popular-you might get some more info from www.alfaowner.com

Check for wear on front tires. Listen for rattles etc., especially from boot.

Despite what some might say, this is not a car that can 'comfortably' accomodate 4 adults, let alone 2 adults and a few children. Rear space certainly appears less than what was in my 147.

Fuel economy on the JTD touted as being 42-45 MPG. Not nearly my experience so far-more like 37/38, and that is on a route where I'm not stuck in traffic.

Still, I love it so far. Diesel doesn't sound the best on starting and at low revs, but the power at higher gears is impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

stunning car. I love the front grill on that model.
    If you can afford it you may also be able to get a 159 for similar money second hand. THey would probably have a slightly better resale value and IMHO look nicer. Either way you will be getting a great car.

MercMad wrote: »
    One thing to be aware of is that on a GT if you need to change any of the front bulbs you have to remove the wheels, the underguard and the entire front bumper before you then remove the headlights.

Isn't this only the case for the xenon bulbs?

And if not, there is a workaround mentioned somewhere on the Alfaowner forum that saves time and effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Isn't this only the case for the xenon bulbs?

And if not, there is a workaround mentioned somewhere on the Alfaowner forum that saves time and effort.

.......ooooh I dont know about that, but this car DOES have Xenons, however it is just the standard headlight H7 bulb we want to change. It certainly doesn't look like there is any room in there !

Any links ??

If you have Xenons, then I think you are fooked due to space issues. Halogens seem to be less hassle.

Some info in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

stunning car. I love the front grill on that model.
    If you can afford it you may also be able to get a 159 for similar money second hand. THey would probably have a slightly better resale value and IMHO look nicer. Either way you will be getting a great car.

159 better resale than a gt,

doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

MercMad wrote: »

It looks to be about 2 hours work, which seems absolutely crazy, but its true !

Nah, no probs (if a little tight on space) for the non-xenon headlights.

Pop the 2 retaining clips, 1 to the left and 1 to the right.. off comes the back weatherproof panel and access to the bulbs and wiring.

Just be careful to locate the bulbs snug against the back of the headlight and also to make certain that the back weatherproof panel is re-seated correctly as there is a rubber seal right around the outside edge to keep things dry/clean. Back on with the 2 retainer clips, hey presto.

If your lucky or have small hands you might get away with no knuckle wounds :)

Have decided to buy a 2006/2005 Alfa GT. My preference is for the JTD however I would go for the 1.8 petrol if the right deal was to be had

Having owned and driven both models (19000 KM's approx in each), I can safely say that the JTDm kicks the ars€ off the 1.8 T Spark model - it wins hands down in every category except cold morning start ups ;)

Once the diesel is started, however, it's actually fairly quiet IMO inside and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cyrus wrote: »
    159 better resale than a gt,

doubt it
    Was just going to say the same thing
    ciarsd wrote: »
    Having owned and driven both models (19000 KM's approx in each), I can safely say that the JTDm kicks the ars€ off the 1.8 T Spark model - it wins hands down in every category except cold morning start ups ;)

Once the diesel is started, however, it's actually fairly quiet IMO inside and out.

If anyone knows, ciarsd will know. Get the diesel over the 1.8 petrol. I should know. Just come from a 1.8 petrol 156, even though I loved the car and kept it for 8yrs, I just bought ciarsd's GT 1.9 JTDm (sorry Ciaran, I know it still hurts ;)) and the engine is superb.

If you do go for one, try to get as best spec as possible, leather, Bose

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If anyone knows, ciarsd will know. Get the diesel over the 1.8 petrol. I should know. Just come from a 1.8 petrol 156, even though I loved the car and kept it for 8yrs, I just bought ciarsd's GT 1.9 JTDm (sorry Ciaran, I know it still hurts ;)) and the engine is superb.

If you do go for one, try to get as best spec as possible, leather, Bose

Still licking my wounds and cannot decide on what to replace it with.. :o

Delighted it went to a worthy home though Lex - I'm sure it'll continue to be 'babied' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ciarsd wrote: »
    Delighted it went to a worthy home though Lex - I'm sure it'll continue to be 'babied' :cool:

can't say I can say the same about my 156. Feel like bringing a sponge & bucket into work some day

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Well I did it, have my 2005 JTD since Friday and haven't stopped smiling

Actually looking forward to driving to work tomorrow

Well I did it, have my 2005 JTD since Friday and haven't stopped smiling

Actually looking forward to driving to work tomorrow

Cool-got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Hi all

New to this forum!

But have been thinking about changing my 156 (2001 1.8l 65k miles) for either a 1.9JTD GT or 1.9JTD 159. Probably a 2006 or 2007 model... haven't managed to get out for a test drive yet? Any recommendations on a good garage to go to in the Dublin area?

Also I'm a big lad... 6ft 5.... any problems with space in the GT? 156 is perfect size so assume 159 will be ok for me...!?

Cheers for any advice..!

Stu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

159 will deffo not be a problem.
    My mate who is about 6'2" and in the early 20's regarding weight was able to comfortably fit in a GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

I bought mine in Donohue's on the Kylemore Road. Found them to be more professional then the other dealers I visited and weren't just trying to flog me the first car I looked at. Got the best trade in aswell for the old 147

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alfa Romeo dealers are generally poor for after sales & servicing.

If you are in Dublin then Gerry Cambell of Ti Autos is the only one who is highly recommended to look after your Alfa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

Thanks for the info lads... will go and get myself a test drive and try to find the right replacement for the 156!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement