Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Apartment rental in the UK

Options
  • 10-03-2008 4:26pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place for this!

Myself and 3 others were in Liverpool last week for the West Ham game. We booked into a serviced apartment for the night. We had to pick up the keys at the rental companies office and then get a taxi to the apartment. Before leaving we were told we would have to return the keys to the office when we were leaving. As our flight was at 6:30AM I asked how we would get in (letter boxes were within a locked area) to drop them off and was told that security would be there to let us in. Anyway, we got a taxi from the City Centre to their offices at around 5:10AM to drop off the keys. No security there. Rang the number that was on the door. No answer. Rang the rental company, no answer obviously, not even an answer phone. Walked around the building and still no sign of anyone to let us in etc. Getting late at this stage and the taxi was still waiting to bring us to the Airport so we decided best thing would be to bring the keys with us and post them back straight away. Pain in the ass but it was the only option short of burying them somewhere. Since this the rental company have threatened to charge my card for the expense of changing the locks. What are your thoughts on this? Who is in the wrong here? We did sign something to say we would be charged if we lost the keys. We didn't lose them. We were unable to return them. Anyone any idea of our legal standing on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Send the keys back to them by registered post. If they charge your card contact your card issuer and insist on a chargeback.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Already sent them back by Courier post the day we got back and sent them the tracking number. The keys didn't arrive on Friday morning so then they threatened to charge the card. I argued with them and they agreed to wait till today to see if they arrived. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The UK has Saturday delivery so they could have received them then.

Advertisement