Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD installing XP

• 10-03-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm trying to put XP on a machine that currently has win 2000. It has a decent spec, (P4, 1gb ram ) When I chose to to a full installation from the setup disc it asked me to convert HDD to NTFS. I said go ahead. I ended up with a bsod. Now when I boot it gives me the option of booting to Win 2000 which it will do fine or booting to XP setup which will crash out again with a bsod.

The HDD in question is a SCSI drive. Would this make a difference?

any suppestions?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

sounds like xp hasn't got the required drivers for your hard drive. you will need to get these from the manufacturers website, copy them onto floppy disk, then press f6 when prompted during the xp setup and install the drivers from there......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

IIRC , there's a prompt to hit one of the F keys when XP Setup is loading to instal SCSI drivers . Did you get that far past formatting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yep, it's F6 as quaidox said.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

I dont think it even got that far but I'll check it out.

thanks for the suggestions. I'll let ye know how it went

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget you need a license for XP on that machine
    you can use the existing OEM one if it came with XP or Vista Business

• Advertisement

when I F6 to install the scsi driver it asks me to put the manufacturer disc into drive a.

Ive only downloaded the drivers from dell onto a cd. I havent got any manufacturer discs. also I dont think I have a floppy to put in drive a, can this be changed?

is there a way around this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

when I F6 to install the scsi driver it asks me to put the manufacturer disc into drive a.

Ive only downloaded the drivers from dell onto a cd. I havent got any manufacturer discs. also I dont think I have a floppy to put in drive a, can this be changed?

There are other ways around it, but floppy drive is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Unless you want to build a slipstreamed installer CD (i.e. an install CD that packages the necessary drivers), then I'm afraid you'd better look at getting a floppy drive in place. Either internal or a USB one should do the job

bah!
    what a pain in the ass

thanks folks!

Advertisement