Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KCC Forum

Options
  • 10-03-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

:mad:Hi. Is there anyone there from the KCC Site Forum. Went to it this afternoon and it has been taken off. I was only on the site this morning and didn't see anything that would warrant this.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

They used some lame excuses for taking it off like libelous while at the same time they are not responsible for the content of postings. They banned 5 users in the last two weeks for using bad language and having an argument with a poster. The bannings were a bit OTT. The latest postings were to do with the proposed new town centre in Celbridge and info re. planning notices. You would not expect this to cause them to take the forum off the air but who knows???

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

There was an alternative forum set up on some time back but I don't remember the details - does anyone have it?

it's at this link - http://campbells.proboards52.com/index.cgi

Here might be a better place for getting a bit of airplay on more serious local matters and over there for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Joe Public wrote: »
    They used some lame excuses for taking it off like libelous while at the same time they are not responsible for the content of postings. They banned 5 users in the last two weeks for using bad language and having an argument with a poster. The bannings were a bit OTT. The latest postings were to do with the proposed new town centre in Celbridge and info re. planning notices. You would not expect this to cause them to take the forum off the air but who knows???

Did anyone see any of the posts this morning? I certainly didn't see anything over the weekend that would warrant closing all the fora! I think it's an absolute shame. All the information on planning etc. is in the public domain anyway, particularly on the KCC planning enquiry websites for public viewing. The public are entitled to see all of it, and it is extremely important that they do! We cannot sit idly by while developers carve up our town without any meaningful consultation with local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

That forum was ruined by a moderator who was entrusted with a level of power that was waaaay above his intelligence level.

I think its closure is for the best as it has opened peoples eyes to both this forum and the one mentioned by Joe above where real debate is allowed.

Now, anybody for a rant about Tesco..........?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

Hey guys. Thanks for the link, found the site. I think nearly all the original members are on there.:o It looks like a good forum.

Do you think they waited until after kildare.ie won the LAMA Award for "Best Use of External Communications"? While KCC are basking in the glory of this prestigious Award, they have taken away the entire online communication from the residents of all the towns in Co. Kildare by removing the discussion forums. There is something not quite right about this!

The Local Authority Members’ Association (LAMA) represents elected councillors nationwide. They play a pivotal role in local government, being charged with representing their constituents in local issues, providing leadership within the community and being responsible for the provision of local services. Cited from connect

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I see it's belatedly made KFM news today http://www.kfmradio.com/new/news.php?articleid=000010724

• Registered Users Posts: 23 April08

It also made page 12 in this weeks local paper!!!!

They also took away the forum archives, would the forum contributors have some rights over these?

• Advertisement

I would highly doubt it, what rights would you assume?

BuffyBot, you might be a little biased - lol. What about intellectual rights and sweat and tears that went into the postings. What about freedom of information?

Biased, how?

I'm pretty sure when users signed up to the forums, you signed up to a T&C that most likely has a nice round get out clause that says they can pull the service when and where they like, and they can do what they want with what anyone posted. It's pretty standard.

As for FOI..well I don't really see this falling under it, but you'ld need an expert to confirm it.

The biased bit - you being a forum moderator I wouldn't expect you to speak badly of others in a similar position.

Re. T&C, I couldn't tell you what they were but I don't recall ( a Bertieism ) any nice,catch all, get out clauses.

FOI covers General right of access to information held by public authorities but then again County Councils have their own ways around things which makes them a bit unique in these situations.

Joe Public wrote: »
    The biased bit - you being a forum moderator I wouldn't expect you to speak badly of others in a similar position.

Eh, right. Must be our memberships of the "Forum Moderators of Ireland" Union that does it. Moderators on this site barely agree with each other 50% of the time - never mind other sites. We're not paid, we don't all know each other. I think you're seeing connections where there are none. I've never been on KCC's forum so I know diddly-squat about who did what to whom over there, and care even less.
    Re. T&C, I couldn't tell you what they were but I don't recall ( a Bertieism ) any nice,catch all, get out clauses.

Doesn't mean they weren't there. I'd be surprised if there wasn't one, though. Most sites will have something similar.
    FOI covers General right of access to information held by public authorities but then again County Councils have their own ways around things which makes them a bit unique in these situations.

Again though, you would need expert advice as to whether or not some forum postings fall under FOI. I doubt it, from my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭remoh

The Raven. wrote: »
    Do you think they waited until after kildare.ie won the LAMA Award for "Best Use of External Communications"? While KCC are basking in the glory of this prestigious Award, they have taken away the entire online communication from the residents of all the towns in Co. Kildare by removing the discussion forums. There is something not quite right about this!

The Local Authority Members’ Association (LAMA) represents elected councillors nationwide. They play a pivotal role in local government, being charged with representing their constituents in local issues, providing leadership within the community and being responsible for the provision of local services. Cited from connect

I think you will find that kildare.ie is not run by KCC, its run by kildare community network, although funded by KCC, so kildare.ie and the KCC are two different websites

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

well who needs the KCC forum when we have:

www.campbells.proboards52.com

and now the new one

www.kildareforum.com

:D:D:D

remoh wrote: »
    I think you will find that kildare.ie is not run by KCC, its run by kildare community network, although funded by KCC, so kildare.ie and the KCC are two different websites

KCC are board members of the Community Network. Check the website:

http://kildare.ie/aboutus/aboutus-beginning.asp

Check the following website also:

http://archives.tcm.ie/kildarenationalist/2007/11/22/story26681.asp

Advertisement