Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burning vinyl to CD via mixer query

• 10-03-2008 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Hopefully somebody may be able to help with this.

My home set-up consists of two KAM turntables and two separate CD players plugged into a two line mixer, which is in turn plugged into my amplifier.
    Both lines on the mixer each have two inputs [a switch flicks between each one] with a turntable and CD player connected to each line.
    The volume button on the amplifier is permanently set in the same position [about 40%] while the volume for what I am listening to is controlled via the mixer.

When I was burning vinyl to my standalone CD recorder the strength of the recording level was controlled via the mixer i.e to produce a signal between -0.3db and 0db required the levels to be up at the top.

The standalone CD recorder has now given up the ghost.

I am planning on connecting my laptop to my system and using an editing program like Wavelab or Audacity.

My query relates to the connections.
    I understand that usually the turntable is connected directly to a PC/laptop.
    However because my turntables are routed through the mixer [and I want to keep them like this] should the mixer then be connected to the laptop? If so, which way should it be done?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Gen:FX

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    My query relates to the connections.
    I understand that usually the turntable is connected directly to a PC/laptop.
    However because my turntables are routed through the mixer [and I want to keep them like this] should the mixer then be connected to the laptop? If so, which way should it be done? Thanks
    If your laptop has a 'Line-Input' your ok. Simply use a 'phono to jack' lead from your 'Rec / Line-Out' on the mixer to the 'Line-Input' on the laptop. - Some laptops dont have a line-in only a 'Mic-In' - this wont work, it will only produce 'Mono' Audio. - You'll need to buy a pcmcia audio card. (see here) http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=10769&campid=20445
    hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

check out skkatter's explanations here, pretty comprehensive

http://www.skkatter.net/

Advertisement