Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sales Scam, Warning

Options
  • 10-03-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi There, i just wanted to warn anyone who has recently put an ad online for the sale of their car, you may get a call from someone who claims to be from a UK based company, offering you the chance to get the full asking price for your car, that they have a database of potential buyers, and all you have to do is give them money. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE MONEY, i read on carsireland.ie that this is actually a scam. And no buyers have ever materialised. I got a call from this company and could hear how people may get caught out with this they are very pushy on the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Yea I work for the Auto Trader and we warn our customers about the same thing. Have heard of a few people getting caught out by it. It is a scam so stay well away.

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

haha only the 1,000,000,000 tread warning about this....

how do people even fall for this tripe :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Breaking news...

1125930218_5bbb823975.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Its an old one alright, just give them sh*t hang up on the c***s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Pesky kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

alo1587 wrote: »
    hang up on the c***s
    Just put the phone aside while you 'search' for your credit card. Come back 30 mins later and hang up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭buachaillbeoir

is it a legit company or what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do something like what Bluehair did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

S.I.R wrote: »

That might be true that its the umpteenth warning, but its that one person who hasn't heard of the scams and hands over money that keep them going. I'll admit when I sold my first car privately I got the call too, and them being so pushy, I could understand how easy it might be for someone to get duped by these people. Fortunately I had read a thread like this one in this forum and it made sue I wasn't falling for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Ive a couple of adds placed at the moment and specifically stated no canvassers or agents please and low and behold i havnt recieved a call from them.

Its possible when they see that in an add they know your well aware of what there doing and dont bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea I work for the Auto Trader and we warn our customers about the same thing. Have heard of a few people getting caught out by it. It is a scam so stay well away.

Adam

its a pity autotrader wouldn't stiffen up their trader identification and warn people that in the past they have carried ads from gangs self identifying themselves as traders only for punters to turn up and be robbed at gunpoint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

N8 wrote: »
    its a pity autotrader wouldn't stiffen up their trader identification and warn people that in the past they have carried ads from gangs self identifying themselves as traders only for punters to turn up and be robbed at gunpoint ;)

does anyone know is this still going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

S.I.R wrote: »

So its the 1,000,000 thread I've never heard of this befor & I'm probably not the only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Tiff

Ok this is really bugging me, just had another scam by email this time, from someone claiming that they want to buy my car, they will send me €5000 more than the price and that i have to deduct that and send it to a shipping company. obviously i'm not going to do that, but it really bugs me that there are people out there doing this. I had no idea about these scams before. There may be someone who this message will inform even though theres seems to be many who've heard this before. be warned the shipping scam and dealer scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In fairness guys, we may have heard of this one and seen lots of threads on it, but not everyone lives on the internet like us so fair play to the OP for taking the time to register and post regardless.

Welcome to Boards Tiff.

Advertisement