Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

message board using dreamweaver

Options
  • 10-03-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi

i am a student designing a website as part of a project.

how do i create a message board/forum on my site using dreamweaver.

or is there a tutorial i could download for free.

regards

vincent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

vincent1 wrote: »
    hi

i am a student designing a website as part of a project.

how do i create a message board/forum on my site using dreamweaver.

or is there a tutorial i could download for free.

regards

vincent.

You wouldn't. You would use somthing like phpBB

• Registered Users Posts: 25 vincent1

thank you workaccount for your reply.

i should have explained myself better.

i am creating a website with dreamweaver and want to include a messsge board to upload their comments as one of my web pages.

i am testing my site on a local server called apache tomcat, offline. Is it still possible to use php BB with apache and can i do it without being live.

i am only pulling bits of info from various sources and i am not fully clear on what i need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you have Apache/MySQL and PHP installed then you should be ok.

If you only have Apache installed, you would be better off just downloading WAMP (http://www.wampserver.com/en/) or EasyPHP (http://sourceforge.net/projects/quickeasyphp/)

With one installation in these, you'll have your whole server environment set up.

phpBB is very easy to install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Just a side-note. pbpBB is very easy to install, but it's a pig to skin, if you've never done that before .I'm speaking about phpBB2 - and I don't think the recent phpBB3 changed that.

So if you need the discussion board to integrate into the overall look and feel of your website, you may have some trouble. If on the other hand, you're happy just to use the default skin or a free phpBB template it is a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Apache Tomcat is a Java Application Server and will not run php files. Apache itself however should be installed (Tomcat needs apache to work) and with a php module it can run php.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Where are all these students coming from that need to build websites if they're not actually studying a web related course? Or, if they are studying a web related course, how are they so uninformed? Attend your lectures ffs! :rolleyes:

On topic, Dreamweaver can't do d1ck apart from design, at least not in any manner worth talking about. Take the above advice and download phpBB, and wamp or xampp (google these), unless you are obligated to use Tomcat?

Advertisement