Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd connection problem

Options
  • 10-03-2008 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Not sure if this should go here or the Broadband forum, so if its in the wrong place apologies. Anyhow on to the problem.

Ive been with IBB for about a year and the connection has been working fine, Im running the POE box into a Linksys WRT54GS v5.1 which is wired to one pc and wirelessly connected to four others. I noticed on Friday morning that the connection had dropped, this does happen occasionally but usually a router reset takes care of the problem. I reset the router and the connection worked for a few seconds and then dropped again. This continued for a while, so finally I did a hard reset of the router, re-entered the settings and tried again. Still the same problem, it works for a few seconds and then times out.

Figuring there was something wrong with the connection I tried a direct connection from the pc (running WinXp pro sp2) to the POE box, same thing again, the connection works for a few seconds and then times out and requires the network connection to be reset or the poe box to be powercycled.

Over the course of the weekend I tried out another two routers (another WRT54GS and a D-LINK) as well as directly connection it to another pc, same thing in all situations - connects for a few seconds and then dies.

This morning I contacted IBB's technical support and despite outlining the above procedure I spent (literally) an hour on the phone to some chap in tech support trying to connect via the linksys, then trying to connect via pc1 - at that point he told me that as he could connect fine to the radio that it was a problem with my router or pc. So I told him I had another router and pc, so we then went through the process of testing on the second linksys and the second pc. Still no joy, he was still maintaining that some cosmic event on friday morning had ****ed all my hardware and the service was fine.

Eventually he agreed that he would send out a new POE box (but not by courier because seemingly IBB's couriers cant find "country addresses"), Im hoping that will fix the problem. But just in case Ive missed something has anyone encountered a similar problem an if so any suggestions on how they fixed it?

Advertisement