Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship Interview/Assessment Tips

• 10-03-2008 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey all.

First time poster but long time admirer. ;)

I just got a phone call arranging my preliminary interview for an Army Cadetship and decided to begin the research process in earnest.....

I have no military background or any family ties with the Defence Forces and thought here might be a good place to start looking for some more info on the Cadetship process and indeed what life is like as junior officer.

I have combed the www.military.ie website over the last few weeks as well as searching this forum for info but neverthelss I remain to have many many questions.........Perhaps there are a few current Cadets or junior officers on the forum that could help? You all seem like a decent bunch.....

I'm sure there will be plenty of others getting a call about interviews over the next few days so maybe us wannabe Cadets can post our questions here and get a little help from a few of the more experienced lads........

So......
    I'll get the ball rolling...;

1. What sort of questions will one be asked in the prelim interview? Is it similar to an interview for a job in the private sector? Anything different etc?

2. What day- to -day duties would a newly commissioned officer have? The website ain't great for this and I'm sure it's going to be a question that comes up.- So, what are the boring hum-drum things that a Second Lieutenant or Lieutenant mite have to do?

3. Upon commissioning what length of contract does a Lieutenant sign?

4. How long would it take for a Lieutenant to get an opportunity to go overseas?

That should do it............for now.

A lot of these questions presume someone getting the Cadetship, surviving the Cadetship and then being commissioned, I know.........and believe me I am far from confident of that- But nonetheless I think it's good to know what one's (trying) to get themself into!

Thanks lads..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

http://www.military.ie/careers/booklets/CadetBook2008Eng.pdfall those questions are answered in the brochure thats on the website,it gives heading on which you will be asked

1:Planning and Organising
    2: Decision making & Problem solving
    3:Information Handling
    4:Working with others
    5:Communication etc etc etc

Check the link out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Cadet?

Yeah, I've read that brochure a few times over now. As I said, unfortunately it doesn't give a lot of info on the life of a junior officer and doesn't answer specific questions as to how long a contract normally runs for and what are the real day-to-day duties of an officer etc......

Thanks for the help so far though lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Best of luck with the interview, mine is soon too ;)

I was lucky enough to get talking to an officer who gave me some good advice on the interview (He had been on the selection committee before).

Some things:

Know the basic structure of the brigades
    Roles of the Defence Forces

Be able to display a couple of the competencies - i.e talk about your college/work/sport examples.
    Keep talking, make them interrupt, mention anything at all you think is relevant, i.e sell yourself.

A couple of questions he said that can throw people off are "Why do you want to join the Defence Forces" and "What do you think a normal working day entails" so practice some answers for that.

Oh and the number one thing he said was have confidence! Don't show any nervousness at all. Their logic he said is that if you can't merely talk to someone for 20 minutes about things how could you be relied upon to make decisions as a platoon commmander.

You won't be grilled too badly in this interview, they really just want to see that you've thought about your decision and that you're confident and show some enthusiasm for the job (by researching on military.ie etc)

The real grilling comes if you get to final interview apparently.

I'm not sure about No. 2 so if anyone can help there that would be great for me too.

For 3. I was told it's the standard 5 year contract.*
    4. If you're commissioned as a 1st Lt. you should be eligible straight away.*

*I was told this at a careers fair by a Lieutenant so the reality may be some what different.

Best of luck mate.

tribulus wrote: »
    Best of luck with the interview, mine is soon too ;)

I was lucky enough to get talking to an officer who gave me some good advice on the interview (He had been on the selection committee before).

Some things:

Know the basic structure of the brigades
    Roles of the Defence Forces

Be able to display a couple of the competencies - i.e talk about your college/work/sport examples.
    Keep talking, make them interrupt, mention anything at all you think is relevant, i.e sell yourself.

A couple of questions he said that can throw people off are "Why do you want to join the Defence Forces" and "What do you think a normal working day entails" so practice some answers for that.

Oh and the number one thing he said was have confidence! Don't show any nervousness at all. Their logic he said is that if you can't merely talk to someone for 20 minutes about things how could you be relied upon to make decisions as a platoon commmander.

You won't be grilled too badly in this interview, they really just want to see that you've thought about your decision and that you're confident and show some enthusiasm for the job (by researching on military.ie etc)

The real grilling comes if you get to final interview apparently.

I'm not sure about No. 2 so if anyone can help there that would be great for me too.

For 3. I was told it's the standard 5 year contract.*
    4. If you're commissioned as a 1st Lt. you should be eligible straight away.*

*I was told this at a careers fair by a Lieutenant so the reality may be some what different.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers Tribulus- great help.

All very important things you mentioned......

5 years? That's great. I had heard possibly 10? Anyone able to clear this up? I will be a graduate if that makes any difference.....

Also, if any officers or former officers could tell what a normal day may consist of for a junior officer I think myself and Tribulus would be very grateful........

Cheers- and best of luck to you too mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Cadet? wrote: »
    Cheers Tribulus- great help.

All very important things you mentioned......

5 years? That's great. I had heard possibly 10? Anyone able to clear this up? I will be a graduate if that makes any difference.....

Also, if any officers or former officers could tell what a normal day may consist of for a junior officer I think myself and Tribulus would be very grateful........

Cheers- and best of luck to you too mate.

my fathers friend is a captain and i was talking to him about it and he said they tend to swing towards people with degrees as they dont have to put them through college but they do take on schoole leavers i.e finished the LC

also i was told that it was a 12 year contract but thats if they send you to college i think.

the day to day jobs consist of a lot of paper work and making sure jobs are being done in the barracks etc etc and while over seas you can gather what they do there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hey all.

1. What sort of questions will one be asked in the prelim interview? Is it similar to an interview for a job in the private sector? Anything different etc?

2. What day- to -day duties would a newly commissioned officer have? The website ain't great for this and I'm sure it's going to be a question that comes up.- So, what are the boring hum-drum things that a Second Lieutenant or Lieutenant mite have to do?

3. Upon commissioning what length of contract does a Lieutenant sign?

4. How long would it take for a Lieutenant to get an opportunity to go overseas?

Questions should be on the line of what pressurised situations have you been in before and how you handled them, what leadership abilities you have ie. have you ever captained your football team(YES you have! ;))
    your hobbies, which are running, swimming, cycling, hill walking etc ok :)
    why you want to be in the army and they will ask how much you know about it so know a little bit like the numbers or personel and a bit of history will impress in the interview.

just make sure your cleanly shaven, wear a suit, cleaned and ironed and have an impecible CV with you and sit up straight, look them in the eye and be confident but not arrogant.

generally the lieuy's will be knocking round the barracks doing some paperwork but they spend a decent bit of time on the ground too, theres also a good possibility being in control of a recruit platoon when your a 2nd lieutenant, then they usually disappear through the school year to do their degrees and they are back around the holidays, they would generally be doing a few courses too so youd be busy enough.

hrm...not sure about that one but if you dont like it you can always buy yourself out, not too expensive depending on the courses you have done.

well when i was overseas all the lieuy's were 2 pippers, as in full lieutenants not 2nd lt's and they were in the army a few years so it could take a little bit of time depending on unit etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Showtime!12

Heya Everyone!
    This all seems like great advice. I was just wondering how long you have until your interview? I am still waiting to hear back from them and will have to arrange travel from the UAE and im hoping i wont get the sack from my current teaching job which should be ok as long as I get enough notice!
    Please let me know how long you were given,
    Kind regards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I've been through it a couple of times; did pretty well last time, was close but just not close enough. PM me and i'll try to help you, if I can rememebr all I was taught beforehand.

Hey Showtime!12,

Well, I got my interview arranged yesterday and it's for tomorrow two weeks.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

I was given 11 days notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If your a graduate upon joining the cadets, how long are you expected to stay with the army?

12 years?

Hey Kickoutthejams,

From what I've learned over the last few days is that there is no 'minimum' contract. However, if they do send you to college you have to do three years for every year in college. Maybe this is where idea of a 12 year contract stems from??? 3x4 ???

I've heard that even when under contract it is possible to "buy" your way out. Doesn't really sound too appealing though does it.........

I've heard that even when under contract it is possible to "buy" your way out. Doesn't really sound too appealing though does it.........

try say that when your in the army, sick of it and have years left on your contract;)

king-stew wrote: »
    try say that when your in the army, sick of it and have years left on your contract;)

Ah I understand king-stew......just the term itself "buy out" is a bit unappealing- didn't mean any offence at all. Sorry if you thought that. I have the greatest respect for anyone who did any stint in the army or DF, at whatever rank and for how ever long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭twinytwo

why would be sick of it.. u no what ur getting urself intyo before u join up?

why would one get sick of it.... i mean you no what ur getting yourself into before u sign up

twinytwo wrote: »
    why would one get sick of it.... i mean you no what ur getting yourself into before u sign up

if you say so...

after all you'd know yes??

if you say so...

after all you'd know yes??

well feel free to point out why ur tired of it?

well have you ever left your family, friends etc for 6 months???

there were many reason i got tired of the army, ive posted them all before and im way too lazy to do it again

• Advertisement

well have you ever left your family, friends etc for 6 months???

there were many reason i got tired of the army, ive posted them all before and im way too lazy to do it again

No but i will soon enough

recruit training doesnt count mate:)

your not halfway across the globe!

recruit training doesnt count mate:)

your not halfway across the globe!

no i aint in the army yet... and i no this isnt the same but i have a 6 month work placement in LA

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daveyj

Just did the first interview today. First day they're on as far as I am aware. So here's the inside info for anyone taking the interview over the next 6-8 weeks.
    Before I get into that, in response to user "Showtime!12", they phone you up and have a chat about when you can attend so you can steer it to a time that suits to a certain extent. Then when you agree the date and time with the officer on the phone he/she will send you a confirmation letter outlining said details and giving a checklist of what you should bring with you which on mine was Leaving-Cert results, college results, birth certficate (passport for non-nationals), and 2 passport photo's for your file.
    Anyway, I was only asked on 4 of the competencies. Obviously anyone reading this will be aware of the 9 competencies which are required by an army officer, but the 4 they hone in on for the preliminary interview are; #Planning and organising, #Decision making and problem solving, #Leadership and supervising and #Personal motivation and discipline. I asked one of the senior officers on the panel why, and he said because the other competencies will reveal themselves anyway. eg. #Communication will show during the interview process as you can either talk or not!. #Working with others, #Physical capacity, #Resilience and #information handling will be tested/seen during the Assessment Phase of the competition which is held in the Curragh Camp (see page 5 of the Cadet Handbook 2008 on military.ie)
    I feel comfortable writing this as I was told this immediately prior to entering the interview room so anyone taking the interviews will be informed likewise. I was asked about 6 other questions during the interview process but i don't feel it would be right to post them here. The reason being is that they may differ depending on the candidate, in which case i don't want to lead anyone falsly in their preperation. Alternatively they could be identical in which case it would give those who read this an unfair advantage over those who don't. All i will say is that they were very typical questions of any job interview, along the tack of "why you for this job", but not that literally!
    I went to Carr Communications in Dublin and did the interview preperation course which i strongly recommend to anyone undergoing an interview process. It was 250 euro for 2 hours but well worth the outlay.
    I wish everyone the best of luck so long as you don't get a spot ahead of me! Just relax and be engaging in the interview. The interview panel are a sound bunch.
    Cheers. D.

The very same as myself. Interviewers were great to be fair, quite relaxed about everything, even cracking a coupe of jokes!

Advertisement