Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mystery injury!

• 10-03-2008 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ran in a hill race a bout two-three weeks ago and ever since I have had a slight sharp strain kind of pain (that's the best way I can describe it) in the upper part of my leg. I've stretched every muscle up there - hammers, quads, gluts, groin - but I can't seem to locate the source of the strain. Every time I put weight on my leg or even if I lift my leg off the ground I can feel it. I do know that I get a 'pinch' in the lower left side of the back - not every time but most times - when I do this.

I'm going back to phy therapist this week and he is very good so I am sure it will be sorted in time but just curious to know if anyone has any ideas of what it might be or what it is causing it?

Can't run and it's driving me up the wall!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 banjoplayer

Sounds like a stress fracture.without knowing the full details. If it is painful weight bearing the you need an MRI.Did it come on suddenly?
    Basically rest and get an MRI as soon as you can. Were you going up or down hill at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyrotten123

Sounds like a stress fracture.without knowing the full details. If it is painful weight bearing the you need an MRI.Did it come on suddenly?
    Basically rest and get an MRI as soon as you can. Were you going up or down hill at the time?

It is not too painful but it aggravates it when I run on it. I can feel it there when I walk but it wouldn't be very painful. I was running up and down hills, but I only felt it the following morning

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is a stress fracture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

If you have previously injured another part of your body (maybe a knee) it may mean that you are putting extra pressure on other areas to compensate and thus causing the strain.
    Maybe your just getting old Johnny;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 banjoplayer

a stress fracture is when the bone becomes overstressed and a small crack appears in the bone due to excess stress. they are common in the lower leg or shin bone and in the feet (where they are also called March fractures- from army recruits marching. They also however occur in the femur(thigh bone), Hip (neck of femur and socket) sacrum(at the back) and pubis in the front of the pelvis or myofascial pain (trigger points in a muscle which cause it to spasm)
    Other things it might be would be sacroiliac joint problems or referred pain from the small joints in the back.
    It is important to make sure that it is not a stress fracture as if you keep running on it you can cause the crack to get bigger and turn into a full fracture or break and that is not what you want. Rest is the treatment.
    Best of luck

Advertisement