Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's a girl to do??

• 10-03-2008 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi , I've been reading up on the boards for quite a while and learned loads and laughed lots......

Anyway here's my story. I am single and early 30's, i am self employed and work alone. Most of my friends are married and the few that are single are spread out far and wide. My social life is nearly non existant and thats what is starting to bother me. One week is melting into the next and before you know we are staring christmas down the throat again. I don't want this to sound desperate and i don't feel like i am but i am trying to find ways to expand my social life and get out and meet more people. I go abroad quite a bit and travel solo .... it doesn't bother me but it'd be nice to have something on alternate weekends at home.

I am very often let down by people i make plans with to go out. I LOVE rugby and am a season ticket holder for Leinster....... but i go on my own to most of the matches coz i don't know anyone else. I have occasionally bought tickets for a friend to come but have had them cancel twice and i'm losing my patience with it.

So is anyone else out there in the same boat........... does anyone have any suggestions (with the exception of on line dating). I am not looking for a great big love story just some new friends.... male or female........... and then who know's what is round the corner..........

So........ let me know what you think...... pretty please!!!:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 foxy01

I'm pretty much in the same boat - alot of friends have settled down, or are settling down.
    I don't have any suggestions as such, but just to let you know someone else is in pretty much same situation!

Why not go to the ladies lounge and BGRH meeting.....if you can stand the hugs, it might be a good way to meet new people.

I'm a great believer in having a group of younger friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

why not join some group,hobby go down your local community centre or look in the paper for something new to do,make some new friends,and show the old ones what theyre missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What about joining a womens adult rugby team?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

What about tag rugby? thats supposed to be great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

ellebelle, I'd say there are lots and lots of people out there who feel exactly the same.

I think you really have to push yourself outside your comfort zone and do things where you will meet people. Yes, I know its said so often that its a bit of a cliche but join a club of some sort. Volunteer your time with a charity. Take up an evening course. If you start doing all these things you'll find that eventually you will build up a new circle of friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Why not go to the ladies lounge and BGRH meeting.....if you can stand the hugs, it might be a good way to meet new people.

+1 The meet ups are a great way to make new friends. Plus there are a few rugby fans who go so you might even find people to go to leinster matches with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Okay, i may be way off the mark but did you post in PI a little while ago?

As i recall there was a lot of advice there. Just wondering if it was you and how it has been going since?

Also, don't knock the online element. I don't see why you would look to people you don't know on line for this kind of advice, but not for a bit of fun!

As said already, the ladies round here are High Class indeed, so going along to one of the meet ups would guarantee some fun and friends i think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

There's a LL meet-up thread in here where we post dates for evenings out from coffee to the pictures to almighty sessions. Its a great way of meeting new people and the girls are great. It is predominantly Dublin based tho.

There are loads of forums on boards and i'm sure alot of them have meet ups based on their interest. There's a book club in the Literature forum too. you might think that meeting people off the net a tad strange but all you need is a bit of courage and you can meet some really great people.

If the net is not for you, then tag rugby, evening classes could be the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ellebelle

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.

I will defo look up the LL meet ups. As for playing rugby............ my dad always wanted me to be a prop (now i sound like he-woman or how ever you spell it). Dublin is not a problem for me as I don't live that far away an am usually up there for work related reasons at least once a week. Someone to meet up with at the rugby games would be fantastic....

Dargan - sorry i don't know what PI is and i've never posted on this site before yesterday..... so i don't think that was me.

I'm absolutley not knocking on line stuff - its just its not for me (as in on-line dating sites).

How many people do you usually get at the meet ups?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

It depends. There's 5/6 of us going for coffee tonight. About 8 of us went to cinema a few weeks back.

24 of us went on the beer last Friday night although it was a combined effort of LL and BGRH posters.

I'm a huge rugby fan myself along with a mate of mine, (oh and so is Cathooo) although we can rarely source tickets but we get together to shout at a tv screen if you ever fancy it.

ellebelle wrote: »
    Dargan - sorry i don't know what PI is and i've never posted on this site before yesterday..... so i don't think that was me.

No worries! What stood out to me was the Leinster season ticket. This other lass was in the same prediciment, season ticket holder....i thought "what are the odds"?

At least you know someone else is the in same boat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Go to Leinsterfans.com

They are a bunch of Leinster mad rugby supporters who always seem to be arranging nights out and trips to games away.

I'm a Munster supporter so I obviously see them as my mortal enemy but they seem like a sound bunch. could do worse than grab them for a pint after Munster beat leinster in April. (touch wood etc)

Go to Leinsterfans.com

They are a bunch of Leinster mad rugby supporters who always seem to be arranging nights out and trips to games away.

I'm a Munster supporter so I obviously see them as my mortal enemy but they seem like a sound bunch. could do worse than grab them for a pint after Munster beat leinster in April. (touch wood etc)

Very good idea actually!

Me, i'm a hybrid, born in Leinster, currently live there, but spent enough years in Limerick freezing my nuts off in Thomond to qualify apparently.

Was out looking at the new stadium over the weekend.

She's a beauty!

AmazotheamazingGo to Leinsterfans.com

ahem ahem cough cough.............we'll seeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Actually have extra ticket for that game and i'm going to be very careful about who gets it......

sorry i don't know how to do the quote thing!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Dragan wrote: »
    No worries! What stood out to me was the Leinster season ticket. This other lass was in the same prediciment, season ticket holder....i thought "what are the odds"?

At least you know someone else is the in same boat!!

Oh think that was me. I sold my leinster season ticket for a new pair of boots though. :)

And Im still single. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

We'll see how the result goes, but I would hope you'll be securely ensconced in the Leinsterfans groupings by then either way.

I know they've arranged trips to all the provincial home games this season and as far as i know, are always looking for new recruits to the cause.

Dragan, never speak of your place of birth again. You've chosen the right path.

Lux23 - you sold your tickets for a pair of boots!!! Thats so funny!! I hope they are prada or some brand like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ellebelle wrote: »
    Lux23 - you sold your tickets for a pair of boots!!! Thats so funny!! I hope they are prada or some brand like that....

Not quite. I wasn't getting use of the ticket so it was really a waste. I haven't worn the boots yet either though.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement