Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Series

• 10-03-2008 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

I probably haven't included lots of them so feel free to let me know which blindingly obvious ones I've forgotten..

Which of the following is the best series? 57 votes

Dune by Frank Herbert
    0% 0 votes
    DiscWorld by Terry Pratchett
    15% 9 votes
    Middle Earth by J.R.R Tolkien
    22% 13 votes
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov
    35% 20 votes
    Ender's/Shadow saga by Orson Scott Card
    10% 6 votes
    Hitchhiker's Guide... by Douglas Adams
    7% 4 votes
    The Culture by Iain M Banks
    8% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Went for the Ender/Shadow books as they stay good through, and yet the two are very different.
    Dune and Foundation drop sharply in quality after a few books.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I voted for HHGTTG, but I would have voted for Pullman's "His Dark Materials", or Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" if they were there!

Favourite SF maybe the "Rama" books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i voted for ender, but would have voted for hyperion if it had been there. a couple of others less known ones which for me are some of the best are the saga of the exiles series and the galactic milieu trilogy both by julian may

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Has to be The Culture series, although had The Nights Dawn series been there, it would have got my vote, Peter F Hamiltion wrote the best SF series so far with those ones.
    John Birmighams Axis of Time series was great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

If you're talking sci-fi then I'd go with the Gap series, by Stephen Donaldson :) Culture = good too though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Out of the options given I'd say the best 'series' would be Banks' Culture for Use of Weapons alone. But someone already mentioned A Song of Ice and Fire as a glaring omission, along with Hyperion. To add to that:

The Malazan Book of the Fallen
    Prince of Nothing (Not a fan but allot of people are)
    The First Law
    The Dark Tower (Again not much of a fan but should be up there)
    The Book of the New Sun
    Gormenghast

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A huge amount of omissions here - personally believe that there should be a separate poll for "Best Science Fiction" and another for "Best Fantasy" - really believe the two genres are pooled together far too often.

In sci-fi terms, I went for "Dune" - incredible world building and originality there by Herbert, the likes of which I don't believe has been surpassed. I'd also have liked to see the "Gap" series there and Peter F. Hamilton's "Night's Dawn" trilogy.

Fantasy series, I think there are noticeable omissions - Pullman's "Dark Materials" (reading "The Subtle Knife" at the moment), George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire", the closest-to-Tolkein in recent times in Tad William's "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn", Erikson's "Malazan: Books of the Fallen" and Raymond E. Feist's finally-almost-ending "Magician" world saga.

I would discount some of the more recent works ("Prince of Nothing", "The First Law", etc) as they're too recent (and ongoing) to have gotten cult status yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

The list seems to be heavy on the sci-fi side, and light on the fantasy.

I'd also like to have seen Modesitt as an option - both the Recluce series and the Corean chronicles among fantasy, together with his sci-fi works. The other major author you're missing is Eddings.

Hitchhiker's guide started well, and then went downhill, with Mostly Harmless not even fit for toilet paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

you are missing a good few of the best & and a few in there i wouldn't include. anyway here are the ones I would include: Stephen donaldson, both Thomas Covenant and the gap series are excellent. Raymond E. Feist, the series he wrote with Janny Wurts are excellent in Midkemia. Tad Williams Otherland series.
    Some new ones I would include would be the Robin Hobb - Assassin series, are very good. Lots more, but my brain is too tired to think of them:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Am I the only person in the world who likes the Wheel of Time anymore? :(

(I know all the problems with it, yes, there are many, later books suck, and he has a fetish for spanking women etc etc but dear God I've never come across a more complete world, more overall-gripping story (for the characters even more than the actual story) and the characters themselves. Some I hate, or don't think are well-crafted, but generally I think they're stupendous)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Like Brooks early series.

Also a big fan of The DragonLance series'

Best for me is probably Thomas Covenant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

microgirl wrote: »
    Pretty much, yep :)

The rest of us are sticking with it to the bitter end. For what it's worth I think the characters are pretty woeful and don't change very much. They all seem to have one "quirk" - Nynaeve tugging her braids eptiomising this - that Jordan uses over and over again. I could go on into a rant but must stop myself now :)

I think it would be good to make separate polls for SF and Fantasy. Also, The First Law trilogy is completed. And having finished it I can honestly say it is one of the greatest fantasy works I've ever read. No lie.
    The first book is readable, the second book is a marked improvement, the third is ****ing amazing. Put together, phenomenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

World of Tiers by PH Farmer

Book of the New Sun - G Wolfe

Dying Earth - Vance

All good ones not on the list. Of the fantasy on the list only LOTR is any use IMO.

Oh, the Amber books - Zelazny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Like Brooks early series.

Also a big fan of The DragonLance series'

Best for me is probably Thomas Covenant.

I enjoyed the Thomas Covenant chronicles the first time I read it. Second time round, I found it really dragged. Becuase I vaguely knew the plot, I got frustrated with the amount of description, and the gaps between anything happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

seagull wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Thomas Covenant chronicles the first time I read it. Second time round, I found it really dragged. Becuase I vaguely knew the plot, I got frustrated with the amount of description, and the gaps between anything happening.

I've been struggling to read it the first time.
    One of the very few books I couldn't finish and had to leave down. Nothing ever happens in it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sandor wrote: »
    Out
    The Dark Tower (Again not much of a fan but should be up there)

NO NO NO NO NO

God no

can't be arsed writing why not out again
    linky to my reasons

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53615905&postcount=130

NO NO NO NO NO

God no

can't be arsed writing why not out again
    linky to my reasons

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53615905&postcount=130

Just read your link, and I know, I know. Hush now. :D
    Like I said I'm not a fan, but many people love it. I couldn't tell you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

microgirl wrote: »

(I know all the problems with it, yes, there are many, later books suck, and he has a fetish for spanking women etc etc but dear God I've never come across a more complete world, more overall-gripping story (for the characters even more than the actual story) and the characters themselves. Some I hate, or don't think are well-crafted, but generally I think they're stupendous)

I LOVE the Wheel Of Time, I didnt think any of the books in the series sucked or were boring! ..his attention to details in story telling is gripping and the method and the depth of the world's historical information is truely amazing. I was really sad for his passing...I look forward to "A Memory Of Light" (due fall 2009) I'm thinking of going through the entire series all over again to get into the right mood for when "Memory" is released. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

seagull wrote: »

i know exactly how you feel , i recently reread the first and second chronicles as i wanted to read the final chronicles and found it heavy enough going , i have read the first book of the final chronicles and it was a hard read as well , but i suppose if the second third and fourth books are put in front of me i will read those as well . I voted for the foundation series more out of nostalgia than any thing else as Isaac Asimov was the first sci-fi author i read and still love , if it was just fantasy it would have to be Terry Pratchett's discworld as i have read and reread all of his books numerous times

• Advertisement

Voted dune, but man I love peter hamilton's trilogy.

Katharine Kerr's series for fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I would also add Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy and Erikson's Malazan book of the Fallen. That's a few new sci-fi I'll have to see about getting. There are too many fantasy series for me to have a definitive list. But I'll be looking for more recommendations.:)

I'm praying G.R.R. Martin doesn't go the way of Jordan (writing style that is, his latest is a bit worrying). I'm all for establishing the setting but c'mon..500 pages of filler.

While I have enjoyed Eddings (Belgariad, Malloreon) I feel his writing can be a bit on the simplistic side (The Dreamers was terrible).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lumix

i would have added the wheel of time.it's a bit long and not finished yet but it is still one of the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lumix

Mr Crystal wrote: »
    I agree. I liked it a lot. Hopefully the final book will be good even though hes not writing it.
    With Robert Jordan not writing it there is always going to be mixed veiws. lets hope he does it some sort of justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

mcgovern wrote: »
    I've been struggling to read it the first time.
    One of the very few books I couldn't finish and had to leave down. Nothing ever happens in it :(

I let it go also. Perhaps didn't given it enough of a chance I couldn't get into it and found his life as a leper more interesting then the other realm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

have to say i love the Jim Butcher's ongoing Dresden Files.. also fantasy a big fan of SE but my first love was Feist. Disliked Dune and Discworld to the point where i couldnt even finish the books i tried to read from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I just started Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch. Like the book. Does anyone know if the series is worth continuing? Its a good book but its not the kind of book I cant put down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

fitz0 wrote: »
    I just started Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch. Like the book. Does anyone know if the series is worth continuing? Its a good book but its not the kind of book I cant put down.

It certainly doesn't get worse. In each book of the trilogy, I thought some stories were stronger/weaker than others...but overall it holds together pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

If you havent already you should check out Hugh Cooks Chronicles of an Age of Darkness..........
    Absolutely unbelievably good.Brilliant style,deadly world,hilarious.(Big fan:pac:)10 books,set in the same world but you can read them alone too.
    Go on treat yourself:D
    Peter F Hamiltons Nightsdawn was amazing and the first two of his Greg Mandell novels were good but I've read the series he wrote afterwards and it was god awful.
    Patrick Tilley's The Amtrak Wars are incredibly entertaining too.
    (I think you should discriminate between scifi and fantasy <in the poll at least>)

Advertisement