Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Getting into metal,recommend some bands

• 10-03-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Ok,I'mn into most forms of rock but only lately i've started listening to some metal and enjoying it.
    At the moment im listening to some stuff like slayer,kreator,cannibal corpse and napalm death.
    I'm enjoying thrash a lot so i'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest similar bands :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

regardless of what people tell you otherwise, make sure you know Metallica's first 3/4 albums. ;) , if you havnt already checked them out.

they arent the most famous metal band for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Carcass are a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sepultura.

Testament.

Anthrax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

I like anthrax and i heard some sepultra which I thought was decent.
    Metallica are alright but I find a lot of their songs really boring.

Edit: just youtubed carcass and they're brilliant! Thanks for that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

Megadeth!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Start off with some Exodus, Destruction and Testament to satisify your thrash needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If you feel anyway inclined towards some stoner, Kyuss are a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Mushy wrote: »
    If you feel anyway inclined towards some stoner, Kyuss are a must.

Kyuss, Unida, Hermano,Slo Burn,
    John Garcia, Stoner Rock God.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

regardless of what people tell you otherwise, make sure you know Metallica's first 3/4 albums. ;) , if you havnt already checked them out.

they arent the most famous metal band for nothing.

Soon as i saw the thread i was gonna say the same, Master of Puppets was the first album i ever bought followed shortly by Kill em all and Ride the Lightning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

1349, Aborted, Akercocke, Alarum, Alcest, The Almighty Punchdrunk, Anaal Nathrakh, Anata, Angelcorpse, Arcturus, At The Drive-In, At The Gates, Atheist, Aurora Borealis, Bal Sagoth, Behemoth, Beneath The Massacre, Between The Buried And Me, Birds Of Prey, Bloodbath, Blotted Science, Blut Aus Nord, Bolt Thrower, Boris, Borknagar, Bossk, Brutal Truth, Burnt By The Sun, Burst, Burzum, Cancer, Capricorns, Car Bomb, Carpathian Forest, Cave In, Cephalic Carnage, Circle Of Dead Children, Coldworker, Control Denied, Converge, Coroner, Cretin, Cronian, Cryptopsy, Cult Of Luna, Cynic, Dark Angel, Darkthrone, Death, Deathspell Omega, Decapitated, Deicide, Devin Townsend, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimmu Borgir, Discordance Axis, Dissection, Don Caballero, Drudkh, Dying Fetus, Earth, Emperor, Enslaved, Entombed, The Fall Of Troy, Fantomas, Fear Factory, Frederik Thordendal's Special Defects, Goatwhore, God Dethroned, Godflesh, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Graveland, Hammers of Misfortune, Harvey Milk, Hate Eternal, The Haunted, High On Fire, Ihsahn, Illogicist, Immolation, Immortal, Impaled, Impaled Nazerene, Impaled Northern Moonforest, Incantation, Isis, Jesu, Kataklysm, Keep of Kalessin, Limbonic Art, Mad Capsule Markets, Malevolent Creation, ManOwaR, Marduk, Mare, Martyr, Mastodon, Mayhem, Melechesh, Melt Banana, Melvins, Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Minsk, Misery Index, Mono, Morbid Angel, Mouth Of The Architect, Mr Bungle, Nasum, Necrophagist, Negura Bunget, Neurosis, Nile, The Ocean, Old Man's Child, Olympos Mons, Opeth, Origin, Pelican, Pestilence, Pig Destroyer, Pissing Razors, Porcupine Tree, Primordial, Prostitute Disfigurement, Psycroptic, Psyopus, Rammstein, Red Sparowes, Refused, Repulsion, Rwake, Scar Symmetry, Scarve Sentenced, Sepultura, Sigh, Sikth, Skinless, Sleep Terror, Spiral Architect, Strapping Young Lad, Suffocation, Symphony X, Ted Maul, Terrorizer, Transmission0, Tusk, Ulver, Unsane, Vader, Vintersorg, Vital Remains, Watchmaker, Watchtower, Winds, Within Temptation

To be brief . ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Morf wrote: »
    1349, Aborted, Akercocke, Alarum, Alcest, The Almighty Punchdrunk, Anaal Nathrakh, Anata, Angelcorpse, Arcturus, At The Drive-In, At The Gates, Atheist, Aurora Borealis, Bal Sagoth, Behemoth, Beneath The Massacre, Between The Buried And Me, Birds Of Prey, Bloodbath, Blotted Science, Blut Aus Nord, Bolt Thrower, Boris, Borknagar, Bossk, Brutal Truth, Burnt By The Sun, Burst, Burzum, Cancer, Capricorns, Car Bomb, Carpathian Forest, Cave In, Cephalic Carnage, Circle Of Dead Children, Coldworker, Control Denied, Converge, Coroner, Cretin, Cronian, Cryptopsy, Cult Of Luna, Cynic, Dark Angel, Darkthrone, Death, Deathspell Omega, Decapitated, Deicide, Devin Townsend, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimmu Borgir, Discordance Axis, Dissection, Don Caballero, Drudkh, Dying Fetus, Earth, Emperor, Enslaved, Entombed, The Fall Of Troy, Fantomas, Fear Factory, Frederik Thordendal's Special Defects, Goatwhore, God Dethroned, Godflesh, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Graveland, Hammers of Misfortune, Harvey Milk, Hate Eternal, The Haunted, High On Fire, Ihsahn, Illogicist, Immolation, Immortal, Impaled, Impaled Nazerene, Impaled Northern Moonforest, Incantation, Isis, Jesu, Kataklysm, Keep of Kalessin, Limbonic Art, Mad Capsule Markets, Malevolent Creation, ManOwaR, Marduk, Mare, Martyr, Mastodon, Mayhem, Melechesh, Melt Banana, Melvins, Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Minsk, Misery Index, Mono, Morbid Angel, Mouth Of The Architect, Mr Bungle, Nasum, Necrophagist, Negura Bunget, Neurosis, Nile, The Ocean, Old Man's Child, Olympos Mons, Opeth, Origin, Pelican, Pestilence, Pig Destroyer, Pissing Razors, Porcupine Tree, Primordial, Prostitute Disfigurement, Psycroptic, Psyopus, Rammstein, Red Sparowes, Refused, Repulsion, Rwake, Scar Symmetry, Scarve Sentenced, Sepultura, Sigh, Sikth, Skinless, Sleep Terror, Spiral Architect, Strapping Young Lad, Suffocation, Symphony X, Ted Maul, Terrorizer, Transmission0, Tusk, Ulver, Unsane, Vader, Vintersorg, Vital Remains, Watchmaker, Watchtower, Winds, Within Temptation

To be brief . ..

The OP is looking for thrash recommendations, if you read further than the thread title ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

OctavarIan wrote: »
    The OP is looking for thrash recommendations, if you read further than the thread title ;)

Half the bands recommended so far aren't thrash either.

1349, Aborted, Akercocke, Alarum, Alcest, The Almighty Punchdrunk, Anaal Nathrakh, Anata, Angelcorpse, Arcturus, At The Drive-In, At The Gates, Atheist, Aurora Borealis, Bal Sagoth, Behemoth, Beneath The Massacre, Between The Buried And Me, Birds Of Prey, Bloodbath, Blotted Science, Blut Aus Nord, Bolt Thrower, Boris, Borknagar, Bossk, Brutal Truth, Burnt By The Sun, Burst, Burzum, Cancer, Capricorns, Car Bomb, Carpathian Forest, Cave In, Cephalic Carnage, Circle Of Dead Children, Coldworker, Control Denied, Converge, Coroner, Cretin, Cronian, Cryptopsy, Cult Of Luna, Cynic, Dark Angel, Darkthrone, Death, Deathspell Omega, Decapitated, Deicide, Devin Townsend, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimmu Borgir, Discordance Axis, Dissection, Don Caballero, Drudkh, Dying Fetus, Earth, Emperor, Enslaved, Entombed, The Fall Of Troy, Fantomas, Fear Factory, Frederik Thordendal's Special Defects, Goatwhore, God Dethroned, Godflesh, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Graveland, Hammers of Misfortune, Harvey Milk, Hate Eternal, The Haunted, High On Fire, Ihsahn, Illogicist, Immolation, Immortal, Impaled, Impaled Nazerene, Impaled Northern Moonforest, Incantation, Isis, Jesu, Kataklysm, Keep of Kalessin, Limbonic Art, Mad Capsule Markets, Malevolent Creation, ManOwaR, Marduk, Mare, Martyr, Mastodon, Mayhem, Melechesh, Melt Banana, Melvins, Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Minsk, Misery Index, Mono, Morbid Angel, Mouth Of The Architect, Mr Bungle, Nasum, Necrophagist, Negura Bunget, Neurosis, Nile, The Ocean, Old Man's Child, Olympos Mons, Opeth, Origin, Pelican, Pestilence, Pig Destroyer, Pissing Razors, Porcupine Tree, Primordial, Prostitute Disfigurement, Psycroptic, Psyopus, Rammstein, Red Sparowes, Refused, Repulsion, Rwake, Scar Symmetry, Scarve, Sentenced, Sepultura, Sigh, Sikth, Skinless, Sleep Terror, Spiral Architect, Strapping Young Lad, Suffocation, Symphony X, Ted Maul, Terrorizer, Transmission0, Tusk, Ulver, Unsane, Vader, Vintersorg, Vital Remains, Watchmaker, Watchtower, Winds, Within Temptation

I highlighted the Thrash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 noelob

Evile are a pretty good up and coming thrash band they kinda sound like early slayer stuff, saw them supporting Machinehead last year in the Ambassador.

Have a look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_thrash_metal_bands

if you've even vaguely heard of any of those bands look them up on youTube and see what you think.

Some other class bands you should consider are:
    Possessed, Venom (Thrash)
    In Flames, Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity, Children of Bodom, Carcass (Melodic Death Metal)
    Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Lamb of God (Thrash / Metalcore)
    Cavalera Conspiracy, Gojira, Death (Death / Thrash)
    Exhorder, Throwdown (Groove)
    Fear Factory (Industrial)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Morf wrote: »
    Half the bands recommended so far aren't thrash either.

1349, Aborted, Akercocke, Alarum, Alcest, The Almighty Punchdrunk, Anaal Nathrakh, Anata, Angelcorpse, Arcturus, At The Drive-In, At The Gates, Atheist, Aurora Borealis, Bal Sagoth, Behemoth, Beneath The Massacre, Between The Buried And Me, Birds Of Prey, Bloodbath, Blotted Science, Blut Aus Nord, Bolt Thrower, Boris, Borknagar, Bossk, Brutal Truth, Burnt By The Sun, Burst, Burzum, Cancer, Capricorns, Car Bomb, Carpathian Forest, Cave In, Cephalic Carnage, Circle Of Dead Children, Coldworker, Control Denied, Converge, Coroner, Cretin, Cronian, Cryptopsy, Cult Of Luna, Cynic, Dark Angel, Darkthrone, Death, Deathspell Omega, Decapitated, Deicide, Devin Townsend, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dimmu Borgir, Discordance Axis, Dissection, Don Caballero, Drudkh, Dying Fetus, Earth, Emperor, Enslaved, Entombed, The Fall Of Troy, Fantomas, Fear Factory, Frederik Thordendal's Special Defects, Goatwhore, God Dethroned, Godflesh, Gojira, Gorgoroth, Graveland, Hammers of Misfortune, Harvey Milk, Hate Eternal, The Haunted, High On Fire, Ihsahn, Illogicist, Immolation, Immortal, Impaled, Impaled Nazerene, Impaled Northern Moonforest, Incantation, Isis, Jesu, Kataklysm, Keep of Kalessin, Limbonic Art, Mad Capsule Markets, Malevolent Creation, ManOwaR, Marduk, Mare, Martyr, Mastodon, Mayhem, Melechesh, Melt Banana, Melvins, Mercyful Fate, Meshuggah, Minsk, Misery Index, Mono, Morbid Angel, Mouth Of The Architect, Mr Bungle, Nasum, Necrophagist, Negura Bunget, Neurosis, Nile, The Ocean, Old Man's Child, Olympos Mons, Opeth, Origin, Pelican, Pestilence, Pig Destroyer, Pissing Razors, Porcupine Tree, Primordial, Prostitute Disfigurement, Psycroptic, Psyopus, Rammstein, Red Sparowes, Refused, Repulsion, Rwake, Scar Symmetry, Scarve, Sentenced, Sepultura, Sigh, Sikth, Skinless, Sleep Terror, Spiral Architect, Strapping Young Lad, Suffocation, Symphony X, Ted Maul, Terrorizer, Transmission0, Tusk, Ulver, Unsane, Vader, Vintersorg, Vital Remains, Watchmaker, Watchtower, Winds, Within Temptation

I highlighted the Thrash

Since when are Mercyful Fate thrash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Thanks for all the replies guys,really appreciate it.
    When I mentioned thrash I was just giving you something to work from,all suggestions are greatly appreciated:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zaister

whatever happened to the christian metal bands like stryper and archangel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Misanthropy

I highly recommend Rust in Peace by Megadeth, one of the best thrash albums that you can find ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Decapitated for all your death metal needs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I highly recommend Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence for top notch thrash, brilliant riffs the whole way through, catchy as hell at times, great drumming and a touch of the deathy stuff. Fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

If you're just getting into metal, I really recommend listening to some power metal. Some suggestions - Lost Horizon (the best band EVER! You can hear clips of them in the media section of their website: www.oncelosthorizon.com), Manowar, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, and Stormwarrior, who rock so hard I named myself after them. I also HIGHLY recommend Children of Bodom's first 3 albums. Oh yeah, and Wintersun.

Glam metal rocks too: Europe, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Skid Row, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wolfie474

This might not entirely meet the brief, but look into some Dream Theater. Theyre pretty amazing, though not exactly metal...more progressive than anything i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I think you'd enjoy Epica as well, their new stuff is pretty heavy and awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

If you're listening to Kreator and liking thrash then there's a load of class Teutonic Thrash bands to check out.

Destruction
    Morbid Saint
    Holy Moses
    Living Death
    Razor
    Exhumer
    Sodom

Similarly the Bay Area bands too.
    Testament
    Forbidden
    Anthrax
    Laaz Rockit
    D.R.I. (Thrash/Punk Crossover, one of the first Crossover bands)
    OverKill
    EvilDead
    Sacred Reich
    Detente
    Heathen
    Vio-Lence
    Blind Illusion
    Nasty Savage
    Toxik
    Death Angel
    Dark Angel
    Cryptic Slaughter (Crossover)

More Technical stuff like
    Watchtower (although the vocals realllly aren't everybodies cup of tea)
    Coroner
    Vovoid
    Sadus

The British Wave of thrash worth a look at, a lot of the early stuff you can really hear the punk/Heavy metal influence

Xentrix
    Onslaught
    Acid Reign
    Arcane
    Artillary
    D.A.M.

New Wave of stuff is really worth while too especially the Irish bands, check out their myspaces :)
    Mass Extinction
    Flatline
    Nuclear Reign
    Gama Bomb
    Evile
    Municipal Waste (not that new, but anyways)
    Lich King
    Warmoth
    Mutant
    Pityful Reign
    SSS

Off the top of my head, that should get you going anyways :) Since you're liking Cannibal Corpse too then check out Rigor Mortis. Very early Death Thrash from Texas i think. Cool stuff. Oh and Tankard for fun :)

Hope that helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 extraflavour

try a bit of mudvayne! if your getting into metal theyre a great metal band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

Dude, Pantera! Vulgar display of power is a must for any metal fan. Rock in Peace Dimebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Annihilator
    Morbid Angel
    Testament
    Municipal Waste
    Death
    King Diamond

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Morbid Angel... Not thrash metal, but definately one of the best out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Believer
    Progressive Thrash/Death Metal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Nuclear assault, nephilim, early metallica (Kill 'em all /ride the lightning / master of puppets etc), xyclon, slipknots last album (subliminal verses), Deicide, Storm troopers of death, Megadeth - rust in peace,

i don't know why people are listing dodgy euro goth cheesy stuff when the man wants metal.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

i don't know why people are listing dodgy euro goth cheesy stuff when the man wants metal.....

Who the hell is listing dodgy euro goth cheest stuff? :confused:

Advertisement