Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Getting into metal,recommend some bands

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Who the hell is listing dodgy euro goth cheest stuff? :confused:

"within temptation, epica.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

As I've arrived late to this thread, I'll offer some recommendations which may be slightly left of field. Léan has already done a sterling job of giving an overview of the thrash scene.

Amon Amarth - Versus the World - Death In Fire

Catchy death metal, with a heavy emphasis on melody. An ideal entry band.

Artillery - By Inheritance - By Inheritance

Rather technical thrash from Denmark. Soaring vocals may make or break the band for you.

Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark - Enter the Eternal Fire

Bathory - Blood on Ice - Gods of Thunder of Wind and of Rain

I'm kicking myself for leaving out Bathory. One from the early era and one from the Viking metal era.

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion - Circle of the Tyrants

One of the most important metal bands ever. This is essential.

Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity - Casket Garden

One of the stalwarts of Swedish death metal. Along with bands such as Entombed, Grave and Unleashed, Dismember created dodsmetal. This track is off one of their groovier albums.

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican - Desecrator

The band that Pantera copied/paid homage to from Cowboys From Hell onwards.

Demolition Hammer - Tortured Existence - Infectious Hospital Waste

One of the most consistently overlooked thrash bands and also one of my favourites. If this is to your taste, you should look for Demolition Hammer's Epidemic of Violence and Morbid Saint's Specrum of Death.

Destroyer 666 - Cold Steel...For An Iron Age - Black City

Blackened thrash. The vocals may or may not be to your liking, but the riffs are solid as hell.

Heathen - Breaking the Silence - Pray for Death

More underrated thrash from the 80's. I urge you to give this a listen. They have recently reformed and their 2005 demo is, I believe, available from their myspace site.

Venom - Welcome to Hell - In League With Satan

Another vitally important band. No fan of metal worth his salt should be without Venom.

Perhaps once you've taken in the bands in this thread, the OP might return for a more specific set of recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

if you want some cheese (good cheese:p) check out Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. also if you want some heavy lyrics and guitar playing check out Faith + 1:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Definitely check out Dark Angel. Probably the pinnacle of 1980s San Fra Bay Area thrash metal. :pac:

Also, early Meshuggah for some more progressive thrash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

murderdolls know how to rock! joey j from slipknot on guitar, he knows how to play!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

murderdolls know how to rock! joey j from slipknot on guitar, he knows how to play!!
    While they are well worth a listen, I wouldn't describe them as metal.

Personally I think you can't go far wrong with some In Flames and Machine Head ;). Here are a couple of videos to whet your appetite.

In Flames - Come Clarity (live)

Machine Head - Aesthetics of Hate (live)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Pick up rust in peace by megadeth, one of thrashes crown jewels.

malice_ wrote: »
    While they are well worth a listen, I wouldn't describe them as metal. (murderdolls)

while they may not be HEAVY metal, i would still describe them as metal, metallica were described as metal (which they are) the murderdolls have some heavier songs.... they are at the bare minimum hard rock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

metallica were described as metal (which they are) the murderdolls have some heavier songs.... they are at the bare minimum hard rock!
    :confused: Leaving aside their work since the Black album, are you seriously telling me that Murderdolls have heavier songs than Metallica?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BSBchris

As Blood Runs Black - My fears have become Phobias
    Suffocation - Abomination Reborn
    All Shall Perish - Eradication
    Youtube them for the moment dude!

Also search myspace for 'Annotations Of An Autopsy' and 'Job For a Cowboy' for some more killer tunes!!

They'll set ya in the right direction

Also megadeths Rust In Piece is best thrash album in my opinion, and i really dont like metallica haha

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    :confused: Leaving aside their work since the Black album, are you seriously telling me that Murderdolls have heavier songs than Metallica?

work since the black album?! thats like half their repetoir, ye 'tallicas earlier stuff is heavier, but the dolls have some pretty thrashy stuff (note: i am in no way saying they are thrash metal......i just couldnt think of a better adjective)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deimne

At the moment im listening to some stuff like slayer,kreator,cannibal corpse and napalm death.
    I'm enjoying thrash a lot so i'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest similar bands :)

i've had a quick flick through this thread and dont see any mention of live gigs and irish bands; based in dublin meself so get to see a variety and I am loving it - suggest you tag along to the nearest local band gigs if you haven't already.
    probably the most 'adored' irish thrash band - mass extinction - fantastic live band.
    quite a bit of a fuss around gamma bomb at the moment too.
    if you want to hear some 'local' death - overoth and nephridium.

personal irish faves include mael mordha and old season - alot more melodic than what you've mentioned - great bands for a sing along.

oh, how could i almost forget - the most successful irish metal band at the moment - Primordial. i was never into their recorded work but was blown away by their show in the former TBMC last january. definitely use inspiration from traditional melodies and beats but they use that inspiration in a whole new way. same could be said for mael mordha and old season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deimne

and guitar playing check out Faith + 1:D
    saw faith with mael mordha a couple of months ago and was BLOWN AWAY - picked up one of the cds and was sorely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shels_Gar

Ok,I'mn into most forms of rock but only lately i've started listening to some metal and enjoying it.
    At the moment im listening to some stuff like slayer,kreator,cannibal corpse and napalm death.
    I'm enjoying thrash a lot so i'd appreciate it if anyone could suggest similar bands :)

Try Evile, Testament, Dublin Death Patrol and Municipal Waste.

You should also check out the Irish scene, there's alot of awesome bands doing the rounds at the moment like Primordial, Mourning Beloveth, Coldwar, Ascendancy, Gambit, Mass Extinction, Condemned, Triggerman, Graveyard Dirt, For Ruin, Scald, Scavenger, Pogrom, Gama Bomb, Abaddon Incarnate, Old Season, Mael Mordha, Primal Dawn, Waylander, Era Vulgaris and Masters Memorial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Opeth, just because they're easy to listen to when you're just getting into metal for the first time. And because they're brilliant. Then lots of Bathory, my personal favourite probably, just cos I love them!

EDIT: In fact lots of Bathory, just saw that you're into thrash!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Pantera are a must.
    Down
    Sepultura
    Slayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Dunno if they have been mentioned(cant be arsed checking back)but the Haunted are kick ass Scandanavian thrash.
    Best album IMO is One Kill Wonder but they are all good heavy albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Shels_Gar

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Dunno if they have been mentioned(cant be arsed checking back)but the Haunted are kick ass Scandanavian thrash.
    Best album IMO is One Kill Wonder but they are all good heavy albums.

The first three albums are awesome but everything since has been total crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The sooner you listen to 'Slaughter of the Soul' by At The Gates, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Shels_Gar wrote: »
    The first three albums are awesome but everything since has been total crap....

Agreed.While the dead eye and revolver have some cool tracks overall the 2 albums are weak enough compared to the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

+1 for Judas Priest, Manowar and Iron Maiden. Classic stuff. :)

Advertisement