Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell in bedroom with ensuite

Options
  • 10-03-2008 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I'm hoping somene can help with this - I'm at my wit's end.

OH is constantly complaining about the the 'stink' from the master bedroom - the one with the tiny ensuite - and refuses to sleep in it. I have noticed a strong sort of musty smell in the room if the windows are not open, but he's very sensitive to smells.

I've scrubbed everywhere, put in plug in air freshners and we're getting new carpet down soon and a new bed.

Could this smell be anything to do with the plumbing? I have no clue about plumbing and its mysteries...

I honestly cant trace where this smell is coming from. The carpet is down since 1995 so long overdue for a change.

Any suggestions would be very welcome...before a divorce is on the cards!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

What's the ventilation like ? Do you have a carpet in the ensuite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

What sort of floor covering is in the ensuite? It is possible you have a leak (no pun intended) in the ensuite which is finding it's way under the carpet in the bedroom. This happened to me when the joint at the back of the toilet bowl became detached and every time the toilet was flushed a small drop of water would trickle down and under the lino, took me months to find it. Or if the ensuite is not used the smell may be coming from stagnant water in the traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Sounds like possibly your shower or sink trap is letting fowl air back up. Fill your sink a put some water down the shower. If the ensuite is warm then possibly water in the trap is evaporating. There was a thread similar to this a few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

is it a sewage smell or a rotting smell.

traps .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Check that there is water in the traps as already suggested and also check the seals on the outlet pipe from the toilet. I could be leaking air as opposed to water, and that air won't be pleasant on the nose!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bignose

I've come across a similar problim which may be yours. The waste pipe from toilet was not vented. This is the pipe that rises above the gutter.
    When flushing the toilet the water trap in the toilet bowl allowes the foul air to pass into the room

Advertisement