Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The US of A

Options
  • 10-03-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to the US in a few weeks for the first time, and I'm just wondering what it's like for veggie food there. I'm trying to be vegan at the moment, I'm assuming that'll go out the window when I get there...

Comments

Where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

www.happycow.net is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Oh yeah, fogot about that site! Ta. I'm going to Florida. I presume it'll be ok, just checking other people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

get ready for massive portions and everything covered in cheese. could rec some great vegan places in new york but don't know any in flordia - isn't there a veggie travel guide online somewhere?

I haven't been to Florida, if you try www.veggieboards.com a local might give you some tips.

• Advertisement

I've been on happycow.net. There's about 7 veggie restaurants, including 1 vegan restaurant, and 1 hotdog stand! So I think I'll survive! Everyone else I'm going with eats meat, so I'm going to end up in 'regular' restaurants. Do typical US restaurants serve decent veggie options?

In more devolped places yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Nature Boy wrote: »
    ... and 1 hotdog stand!
    wow! nice! :D
    Nature Boy wrote: »
    Do typical US restaurants serve decent veggie options?

Hmmm I think Mexican could be worth a try here, although maybe difficult for vegan stuff.

I think with typical restaurants, finding something veggie should be similar to going out over here. Umm I'm sure disneyland should have some veggie stuff lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

As an American vegetarian recently relocated to Cork, I can assure you that if you're going to one of the larger cities in Fla, you'll have no problem finding good vegetarian options when eating out. Vegan options will be harder to come by, however.
    Have a great time, and try to bring some of that sunshine back with you! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hotdog stand, nice! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I found it really hard over there to find vegan food. For eating out, most of the time the only thing I could have on the menu was chips (which can be dodgy as they could be fried in animal fat). But I went to a lot of small towns, when I was in bigger cities it was easier but it still could be hard.

As for general groceries it was a nightmare. Things I can eat over here are not vegan or even vegetarian over there, like baked beans, most of them have meat juices in them. Theres so much cane syrup and hydrogenated oils in american food even if I wasn't vegan/vegitarian I wouldn't want to eat the stuff.

I found fruit and veg to be expensive over there too, its no wonder they eat so unhealthy.

My life line was Trader Joes supermarket, the best food I've ever tasted came from there. They do 'normal' food, theres little or no artifical crap in their food and its not expensive as a health food store/co-op. I stocked up on their canned soya mince chilli, ate it straight from the can, cold, but it still tasted good!

Clif bars are vegan (they come in flavours like Chocolate Brownie and Peanut Toffee Buzz) you can get them pretty much everywhere, they're like an energy bar so they're good for keeping you going. There are some Nature Valley granola bars that are vegan. There are these jelly sweets called Mike and Ike that are vegan too.

If you go out to breakfast be prepared to look at the menu and find theres not one single thing you can eat.

So I found it to be pretty hard but I was on a 3 month road trip when I was there, so I didn't have the opportunity to make up my own food. I mainly survived on canned food and granola bars. Im sure you'll have an easier time!

Although I did have a hard time over there food wise, Its still a great place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I was in Orlando a few years ago and found Sweet Tomatoes to be a great place to eat out for me as a veggie (was not vegan at the time but there are plenty of vegan things)! A massive salad buffet for about $7 all you could fit on the plate.

google it for a list of thier restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

http://www.morethansalad.com/ is helpful when you are looking for veggie restaurants when on the road.

Cool, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

biZrb wrote: »
    Things I can eat over here are not vegan or even vegetarian over there, like baked beans, most of them have meat juices in them.

yuk!

Advertisement