Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big decision, leave work for uni?

Options
  • 10-03-2008 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Well heres the story, during my A levels i dropped out of school after the first year and got a job in an engineering consultants. I started as a junior and have eventually moved up the ladder, im now almost 21. they sent me to college one day a week and im continuing to get extra qualificatiosn. recently i have been promoted in the company to a CAD technician role. really good prospects in this, and the wage is decent also. in the few years ive been in the company i have not at all gained an interest in engineering, and feel really unhappy in the industry )tho the company is brilliant), and i first took up the job, as i had enough of education. now its my biggest regret. for some time now ive been considering leaving the job and going back into education, but studying something i have an interest in, such as history. thing about this, would be i may have to do a year or two in tech doing A levels, before going on to uni. therefore being alot older than the other students, and be worried incase i dont fit in. i was just lookign a few opinions on this and if anyoen out there has been in the same situation.

thanks

Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Third-Level Accommodation to Mature & Non-Traditional Students.

These people may be able to help you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I don't think you need to worry about fitting in.It's not high school. College is the epitome of not having to fit in.No matter what you enjoy doing, be it sports, reading,history, politics,getting drunk ^^,you will always find like minded people at uni.
    Fully immersifying yourself in college life helps also.Staying in college accom helps you get involved in the whole college scene.About the being older part, it's really not a big deal , lots of ppl start college life after 20 due to travelling ,Finding the right course etc.
    Anyways good luck with it

Just to echo what LuckyCharms said, have a look at this thread SMW. You'll see people a good bit older than you going back to college. 21 is not 'too old' at all. It won't matter when you arrive in college, plus you would have the benefit of not being straight out of school and would be a bit more 'mature' than other students.

Just go for it if it's something you'd like. Think of it like this - you're ONLY 21. You have until you're 65 to retire :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 judy07

21 is not too old at all and think of it this way - do you stay in a job just because the money is good even though it is not what you like or want to do. you get married have kids and watch them go to uni always thinking i wish i had done that. or do you follow your heart, sit your a levels and progress to uni doing something you want to do will make you alot happier. if you didnt want to go back you would not keep thinking about it.
    i am 23 and going back to uni, i feel alot more prepared and ready now im more mature and i have contacted the uni most prefer mature students and trust me there are quite a few on any course you choose. there is no such thing as a rich student and if thats all that is bothering you, apply for a grant or work part time there is an option out there to suit everyone!
    best of luck making your decision.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Do it. You could be fully qualified by 28, I'm 33 and insecond year. I wish I had done it earlier. Years pass very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

21 ain't old. One of the courses I was in, the class was split 50-50. 50% were 18-25, 50% were 30-60.

Now, the dealeo is do you want to go back. Think of why you left school, yeah. All that crap hasn't changed all that much. You'll still have lectures, 'cept if you fail your projects, some lecturers don't care.

Best advice, do the basic A levels in the evening. Basic being maths, english, etc, so that you'll have a better understanding of the basics (esp the f**k up which is algebra), before you go into Uni. It'll also get you ready to learn. Finally, if you do the A levels now, by the time you get into Uni, you'll probably be 23. You'll then (please correct me if I'm wrong here) be able to enter as a "mature" student, as opposed to being based on your points.

I think mature student age is 24, I could be wrong also, but a good idea to go in as a mature student, can help with grants etc.

Yup, for most courses you have to be over 23 on the 1st of January in the year you are entering the course. There was something said before about how in NI/UK it's when you're over 21, plus some courses in this country I know I've seen '21' down as 'mature', but generally 23 is the age.

Shows what I know. Go to college, its easier than working, if you dont want to go that day, you dont have to, nobody gives a crap if you are there or not, you have almost 4 months off for summer, 1 at christmas, 2 weeks at easter, if you can swing a grant and do 1 or 2 days work you wont be skint, there are loads of beautiful girls there, you will meet loads of new friends, you can learn something interesting, hopefully you will be well off after you finish, I could go on and on, I love college. Picture yourself in a crap unskilled job at 50, afraid to say boo to your boss in case you get fired and who is going to employ an unskilled 50 year old. All you have to do to pass college is turn up 95% of the time, keep your notes clear and cram like hell come exam time. Thats not the best way to do it but I havent met anybody doing it differently yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OoSKYLINEoO

Well i'm going to BCFE as a "Mature" student at 21 in september, there are a few places around Ireland who take 21 as being mature

• Advertisement
Advertisement