Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best TV channel to watch football on?

• 10-03-2008 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

RTE are always entertaining, but their constant analysis of the team in general rather than the actual match itself annoys me. But Souness was a great addition. As for commentators a George Hamilton/Jim Beglin duo is still one of the best.

BBC are very good for anything other than England matches, aka whenever Ian Wright isn't on the tele. Their lack of ads is always great for showing highlights of any previous matches, but a few of them still wear their three-lion tinted glasses. Their commentators are one of the worst though. John Motson always talks like he's confused, Lawro tries to funny every 30 seconds (although he's not so bad on Football Focus) and the other guy whom I cant remember the name tries too hard. Hell he'd try to make Middlesbrough vs Fulham sound epic.

Setanta I try to avoid like the plague. Even though I like someone who speaks their mind theirs just something about Pat Dolan that really grinds my gears. Like I said, only viewed when I've no other option. Some of their commentators aren't too bad though

TV3 are useless. No good commentators, no good analysis, always a fairly crap picture.

Sky are probably my no.1 preference. The Tyler/Gray act during matches are brilliant, and they really talk sense. Some of the managerial pundits like Mark Hughes or Ruud Guillet aren't bad either and its always good to see Jeff Stelling or that Scottish guy from SSN taking over for a match of two. If it wasn't for Jamie ****in Redknapp they'd easily be the best around

Opinions?

PS: Mods, any chance of a poll?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I generally like Sky & ITV. If a match is on RTE & another channel, I will always watch the other channel. I find the pundits to be overly negative and they dont actually have much football knowledge in regards to player names and foreign teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

deise59 wrote: »
    , but a few of them still wear their three-lion tinted glasses.

To be fair RTE always wear their green tinted glasses when Ireland play and if England play, Dunphy etc come across anti English just for the sake of it.

Agree with you re Setanta, hate it when we are on Setanta, still like MOTD though Hansen and especially Lawro drive me :mad:

Love MOTD 2, love when Keown and Dixon are pundits.

Like score interactive on a Saturday on bbc1 from 14:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I'll watch on RTE with the sound turned down and 5 live turned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sky are the best for the production side of it, especially the HD. Andy Grey is very boring and dated at this stage, don't like him.

The picture quality is shocking from Setanta, really low bit rate.

Its hard to beat RTE on European nights for the entertainment value albeit they lack some football knowledge.

I cant stand the BBC, I cant even watch MOTD anymore. Lineker and grinning chums are just bad. Bring back dessie :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

RTE > all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think RTE are the most entertaining in terms of analysis. The combo of Duphy, Giles and Brady makes for good viewing and while I might not necessarily agree with what they say, I admire the fact that they are brutally honest and put their arses on the line with their opinions. Souness tends to do this when on RTE too. I also really like the Hamilton/Beglin commentary team, although besides George I'm not too keen on most of the other commentators. Houghton isn't a great replacement for Beglin imo.

BBC are poor for analysis I feel. Hansen was someone I used to respect a lot but I think he's been anglicised too much and by that I mean he joins in the pro-English brigade's deluded nonsense like claiming it could be England's year every fecking year. (McEnroe does this for Wimbledon incidentally) Ian Wright is an embarrassment as are Shearer, Dixon et. al with their fence-sitting, generic views. "If they play to the best of their ability they can get a result today." No, really? Geez I never thought of that! I'm less critical of their commentary team as I find Lawro quite funny at times. Remember the Croatia game? "Say something, Mark." "Can't". As for Motson, while I feel he's no longer as good as he once was, he is still a commentating legend and while I do get annoyed by his OTT reactions to situations - "My goodness, England have won a corner Mark!" - I find him OK enough. The other ones I really dislike however, especially the former Robot Wars guy (Jonathan Pearce I think his name is) who absolutely does my head in.

ITV's analysis is woeful. Much worse than BBC's. Andy Townsend I respected as a player but as a pundit he comes across like a robot spouting his programmed responses. Why has Craig Doyle joined their team now also? Bloody hell, might as well bring in Dermot O'Leary. I find their commentary teams less irritating. I've liked Clive Tyldesley ever since he made mention of the fact that Adrian Mutu (playing for Chelsea at the time) had the distinction of having a surname like that of a Pokemon ('Mewtwo'). For that he will always be a legend in my book, plus of course his 1999 CL final commentary too. "And Solksjaer has won it!" I'll probably get stick for this but I don't mind David Pleat much either. Hey, so what he seems like a nice guy. :D

Setanta? It has Pat Dolan. Nuff said. Thumbs down for that alone. It also has the Sky Sports reject who used to do the Ireland games and who speaks to viewers like they are infants. I avoid this like the plague. Commentators there are also poor. Probably the worst of the lot although they are relative newcomers.

TV3's analysis is as weak as Setanta's in my opinion and they've been around long enough now. The only thing I enjoy about their coverage is that it gives ample material for the Apres Match lads to poke fun at.

Sky Sports I would say are the most professional of the lot. When they go to show clips of the game, the clips actually get played on time. :) Thier analysis can be hit or miss depending on who the have in their studio. Jamie Redknapp goes to the Lee Dixon school of stating the obvious but sometimes they can have well-informed guests. I do find Richard Keys a smarmy git with his constant peering into the camera (why do Sky and Setanta hosts have to keep looking into the camera anyway? Pisses me off) As for their commentary teams they are excellent and they have perhaps the best depth of all the commentary teams. I quite like them all, in particular Gray and Tyler which I'd say is Britain's best duo (wouldn't rank them above our own George and Jim though). Sky have the style and often do excellent video packages and interview segments. I would say they are the more polished of the channels but with a few negative aspects here and there.

Overall I think RTE would be my number 1 preference. For international matches they tend to have the best line-up with Brady, Giles and Dunphy (and Bill the legned himself 'okey doke') plus George Hamilton and Jim Beglin on commentary. Add into that a decent Apres Match skit and some Dunphy outrage and you've got yourself a winning combo.

If you could bottle Sky's presentation skills, and acquire some of their commentators to bolster RTE's depth, then I reckon you'd have the perfect channel for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTÉ but their refusal to show any Arsenal games in the Champions League means I don't watch their coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

RTE.....'Nuff said.

A wonderfully articulated post there Soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Channel Five: Football Italia.

Eye candy, ftw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

RTE, no question.

The envy of the football world!

Best pundits, worst commentators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I think RTE are the most entertaining in terms of analysis. The combo of Duphy, Giles and Brady makes for good viewing and while I might not necessarily agree with what they say, I admire the fact that they are brutally honest and put their arses on the line with their opinions. Souness tends to do this when on RTE too. I also really like the Hamilton/Beglin commentary team, although besides George I'm not too keen on most of the other commentators. Houghton isn't a great replacement for Beglin imo.

BBC are poor for analysis I feel. Hansen was someone I used to respect a lot but I think he's been anglicised too much and by that I mean he joins in the pro-English brigade's deluded nonsense like claiming it could be England's year every fecking year. (McEnroe does this for Wimbledon incidentally) Ian Wright is an embarrassment as are Shearer, Dixon et. al with their fence-sitting, generic views. "If they play to the best of their ability they can get a result today." No, really? Geez I never thought of that! I'm less critical of their commentary team as I find Lawro quite funny at times. Remember the Croatia game? "Say something, Mark." "Can't". As for Motson, while I feel he's no longer as good as he once was, he is still a commentating legend and while I do get annoyed by his OTT reactions to situations - "My goodness, England have won a corner Mark!" - I find him OK enough. The other ones I really dislike however, especially the former Robot Wars guy (Jonathan Pearce I think his name is) who absolutely does my head in.

ITV's analysis is woeful. Much worse than BBC's. Andy Townsend I respected as a player but as a pundit he comes across like a robot spouting his programmed responses. Why has Craig Doyle joined their team now also? Bloody hell, might as well bring in Dermot O'Leary. I find their commentary teams less irritating. I've liked Clive Tyldesley ever since he made mention of the fact that Adrian Mutu (playing for Chelsea at the time) had the distinction of having a surname like that of a Pokemon ('Mewtwo'). For that he will always be a legend in my book, plus of course his 1999 CL final commentary too. "And Solksjaer has won it!" I'll probably get stick for this but I don't mind David Pleat much either. Hey, so what he seems like a nice guy. :D

Setanta? It has Pat Dolan. Nuff said. Thumbs down for that alone. It also has the Sky Sports reject who used to do the Ireland games and who speaks to viewers like they are infants. I avoid this like the plague. Commentators there are also poor. Probably the worst of the lot although they are relative newcomers.

TV3's analysis is as weak as Setanta's in my opinion and they've been around long enough now. The only thing I enjoy about their coverage is that it gives ample material for the Apres Match lads to poke fun at.

Sky Sports I would say are the most professional of the lot. When they go to show clips of the game, the clips actually get played on time. :) Thier analysis can be hit or miss depending on who the have in their studio. Jamie Redknapp goes to the Lee Dixon school of stating the obvious but sometimes they can have well-informed guests. I do find Richard Keys a smarmy git with his constant peering into the camera (why do Sky and Setanta hosts have to keep looking into the camera anyway? Pisses me off) As for their commentary teams they are excellent and they have perhaps the best depth of all the commentary teams. I quite like them all, in particular Gray and Tyler which I'd say is Britain's best duo (wouldn't rank them above our own George and Jim though). Sky have the style and often do excellent video packages and interview segments. I would say they are the more polished of the channels but with a few negative aspects here and there.

Overall I think RTE would be my number 1 preference. For international matches they tend to have the best line-up with Brady, Giles and Dunphy (and Bill the legned himself 'okey doke') plus George Hamilton and Jim Beglin on commentary. Add into that a decent Apres Match skit and some Dunphy outrage and you've got yourself a winning combo.

If you could bottle Sky's presentation skills, and acquire some of their commentators to bolster RTE's depth, then I reckon you'd have the perfect channel for football.

Hard to beat RTE for their panel alone, take away Dunphy though and its lost a lot of the appeal, he sparks a lot of it and the other lads fuse around it.

Not many Dolan fans here lol !
    In fairness I think Jon Champion is a pretty good commentator and hes done a few games lately on Setanta.

SKY have had years at it so why wouldnt they be polished. In fairness too tho BBC were carrying matches since I was born and they are still miles behind even when they carry the odd live cup game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I grew up watching BBC, so I've got a nostalgic love for them (even though I realise now that the analysis is weak)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

for Premiership/Internationals/CL/UEFA etc.

RTE > BBC > Sky > Setanta > ITV > TV3

EL/Setanta Cup etc.

Setanta > RTE > TV3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SofaK wrote: »
    Channel Five: Football Italia.

Eye candy, ftw ;)

Laura Esposto FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Sky

Sky have a very good 'package'. They present the game well and everything works like clockwork.

I don't mind Tyler and Gray as the main commentary duo. They are generally pretty accurate during their commentary. Sometimes though Gray gets a bit sickening. One occasion a few seasons ago. Chelsea vs Barcelona at Stamford Bridge. I had to switch over to another channel. He was sooooooo pro-Chelsea and 'British Bulldog' spirit etc I was shocked... Not neutral at all.

Jamie Redknapp is a gimp. Pure and simple.... A 'yes' man. He never has his own opinion. Always agreeing with the other pundit. There have been a few occasions where he has look flustered. Ruud Guillit a few times has made him look like a tool. Peter Reid in the Merseyside Derby in October I think wanted to punch him with some of his comments. The sooner his contract runs out and Sky let him go, the better.

BBC

The BBC coverage is quality in my opinion. I would have them on a par with Sky on their professional presentation.

I like Lineker and Hansen. Lawernson can be a bit smarmy at times and more often than not his 'funny ha ha' comments don't work.

Shearer is alright as a pundit. Not the best overall, but I don't mind him.

Motson is a legend, but i think he is getting near retirement age. Motson's voice to me always reminds me of the FA cup final.. A bit like Murray Walker with F1.

RTE

A very different approach from the English presentation. A lot more honest and open and just saying it how it is. This has its pros and cons as it can turn into a conversation like you'd hear down the pub...

They need to concentrate their analysis more on the game instead of the team.

Dunphy can talk an awful load of sh*te at times. I question why they still have him on the panel. Brady knows his stuff. Giles generally knows his stuff, but he is stuck in the past with some of his views... "You wouldn't get that carry on in my day"... etc

George Hamilton is a good commentator.

Ray Houghton is most negative man ever... He adds absolutely nothing to the panel or the football shows in general on RTE. He needs to be let go along with Kenny Cunningham.

Setanta

Fair play to them for breaking the Sky monopoly. Its pretty obvious that all of their money has gone to securing the rights for the premier league, rather than spending it on production.

Presentation is second rate and picture quality is poor. A mooted buyout by ESPN may be a good move for Setanta.

TV3/ITV

I put these together as they are generally both pretty poor.... Pundits are second rate. Always my last option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sky simply for audio visual quality, dont really listen to pundits as i have a nice tv and urge to smash my foot into it when Jamie is talking is always there.

The rest can be quite poor with odd camera angles and commentators not even at the game.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Soccer Saturday FTW.

There are times I would rather watch Soccer Saturday than the live game on Setanta, great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Soccer Saturday FTW.

There are times I would rather watch Soccer Saturday than the live game on Setanta, great bunch of lads.

Jeff Stelling and Chris Kamara are absolute quality. I've good time for the other Soccer Saturday lads but these two are my faves
    Sizzler wrote: »
    Hard to beat RTE for their panel alone, take away Dunphy though and its lost a lot of the appeal, he sparks a lot of it and the other lads fuse around it.

Not many Dolan fans here lol !
    In fairness I think Jon Champion is a pretty good commentator and hes done a few games lately on Setanta.

SKY have had years at it so why wouldnt they be polished. In fairness too tho BBC were carrying matches since I was born and they are still miles behind even when they carry the odd live cup game!

Can't stand Pat Dolan, forever pointing out negative aspects of football.
    I really like Jon Champion's commentary, particularly when someone scores a dramatic/world-class goal and he draws the name out, like with Hugo Almeida's rocket free kick for Porto against Inter in 2005 - "Hugo AlmeidAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jeff Stelling and Chris Kamara are absolute quality. I've good time for the other Soccer Saturday lads but these two are my faves

Yup really like Chris Kamara, very very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Yup really like Chris Kamara, very very funny.

"Unbelievable Jeff, unbelievable" :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxBVzf8PLWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYfCG4laEt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkYOt2MdzZM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

RTE because I love watching Kenny Cunninghams eyebrows going up and down as he talks...genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Soccer Saturday FTW.

Yeah, I'm the same.
    RTE because I love watching Kenny Cunninghams eyebrows going up and down as he talks...genius.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Fook the eyebrows. What about his sinister grin in between sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Soccer Saterday was allowed to show live football clips of the different matches they are watching, it would probably be the greatest TV show ever made.

Advertisement