Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please enlighten me!

Options
  • 10-03-2008 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Ok, with less than twelve weeks left im just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas how to pump it over the coming weeks? i want to study medicine and have worked consistantly for the last two years but just as i need my energies, i'm wrecked!! any advice on how to make everything a1 standard in a short period of time? i'm prepared to work!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

hmm...since you are aiming for Medicine, and have it down on your CAO, im sure you are working relentlessly these days, but do not fret! There comes a time when all of us needs a kick in the right direction, our confidence renewed or even someone to say "YOU HAVE ONLY NINE SKOOL WEEKS LEFT" to make you work that extra bit harder! Anyway enough said, i have compiled some advice of which I hope you find beneficial!:

1: work on Friday nights
    2: cut back on phone calls (you know what i'm tlkin about)
    3: Imagine yourself opening that envelop on the 13th of August, you want to be thrilled - go out nd grab it with both hands - work
    4:Do every exam question possible
    5:Don't neglect any sub
    6: smile, eat healthy, and be positive

I hope you find this helpful, wishing you all the best in the big LC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

My Leaving Cert (well, the academic equivalent) is some years behind me by now... but ambro's Two Rules™ still have that wonderful energising, driving effect whenever a surge of flagging threatens:

Rule #1 - Do The Work

Rule #2 - Do The F*%&ing Work

Satisfaction garanteed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Rather than making out a timed timetable if that makes sense, right a list of each topic you need to study in each subject. Right a rough timeline for each if you wish but don't fret if you don't stick to it. The point of it is to give you sense of achievement when you have studied each one and an idea of when it's time to go back over it again. Between now and the exams you'll need to revise everything at least twice.

Exam papers, exam papers, exam papers, need I say more? :p

Like I said on the other thread, learn every little detail. For subjects that require facts ike chem, bio and geography this gets you the A1s.

If you have finished the course ask your teachers to go through revision during class, assigning you revision hw each night and ask them to make a timetable for this. My chemistry teacher did this, I can't thank her enough.

For subjects like English ask your teachers to correct exam questions for you as they would as an examiner. This is good practice.

For subjects like maths write all the forumlae and other useful tricks on cards neatly. These will come in handy for last minute revision just before the exam and will help get your head into exam mode.

Do occassionally go to the pub with friends (if you're over eighteen) or to gigs/the cinema. This will stop you from going insane.

And do stay positive and realise there's no way you won't get this.

Good luck.

Oh and yeah like Ambro says...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

OP, youy you've worked steadily overthe two years, thats great, it really does help. So by now, you know what you have to do.

Outside of studying, eat healthy stuff. Great hep. Also get plenty of sleep. Its how I survived the last few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

+1 with the guy above. Outside of studying keep a regular exercise routine; sleep at regular lengths and times; and eat those brain foods, which includes most fruit and veg. Theyre full of the vitamins your brain chemistry demands. Havent you ever read the back of the Rice Krispies? Pffft. And give your brain rest: take a day out of your weekend to do whatever you want that doesnt involve over-sleeping - read a book, go play sports, shop, have a girlfriend/boyfriend, go walk the dog in the woods, take a hike, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

:D Thank you all so much!! Seriously! All your advice is brill! its just so difficult in school to even ask anyone for advice 'cos they just get all miffed at talking about the exams! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can thank us by pressing that flashy new Thumbs Up button in our posts :p

Advertisement