Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top had blown off home oil boiler pipe

Options
  • 10-03-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Just wanted to ask this on behalf of a neighbour as the top of the oil boiler pipe blew off yesterday in the wind.

You know the pipe which comes from the oil boiler and travels up the side of the house to near the roof to allow fumes to escape.

Well the top part of this which stops this pipe being open came off.

They were wondering if it is important to have this put back on? Does it serve any purpose? Maybe it stops birds going in, though I suppose they wouldn't go in when the boiler is in operation...

If it's not important then they wouldn't go to the expense of having someone come out to re-fit it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

It prevents rain and birds getting it. I'd recomment replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It depends what material it is made of. If it is asbestos, you won't get one to replace it. You can usually get one made out of galvanised or stainless steel that will fit. If the flue is galvanised, the whole top might be corroded and you won't get anything to sit on the jagged edges. It all depends on the age of the flue and the boiler. If the boiler is old they might soon be replacing it with one that uses kerosene and they won't need a flue at all, just a vent through the wall - it all depends on location. If it is not replaced, it probably won't effect the running of the boiler.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

JamesM wrote: »
    It depends what material it is made of. If it is asbestos, you won't get one to replace it. You can usually get one made out of galvanised or stainless steel that will fit. If the flue is galvanised, the whole top might be corroded and you won't get anything to sit on the jagged edges.

Thanks for that.

It's galvanised steel.
    JamesM wrote: »
    If the boiler is old they might soon be replacing it with one that uses kerosene and they won't need a flue at all, just a vent through the wall - it all depends on location. If it is not replaced, it probably won't effect the running of the boiler.
    Jim.

Ah, yes. Ours has the vent through the wall without the flue going up the side of the wall.

If the birds do decide to drop some twigs and build a nest then there's a bigger problem. No exhaust for flue gasses could potentially cause carbon monoxide gasses in the house...

stapeler wrote: »
    If the birds do decide to drop some twigs and build a nest then there's a bigger problem. No exhaust for flue gasses could potentially cause carbon monoxide gasses in the house...

The cowl doesn't actually stop birds nesting in the top of the flue - there's plenty of room for them to get in - I think that they like the shelter the cowl gives them :)
    An oil boiler is quite different to gas - even if you had no sense of smell, your eyes would be streaming long before carbon monoxide would get you.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I was just basing it on an experience where they got into my wood burning flue in my workshop. It didn't take long before the room filled up with smoke. Needless to say their nest didn't survive. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

I wonder what the purpose of a cowl is then on a flue from an oil boiler if it does not stop birds nesting?

Perhaps it's to stop rain only? Or perhaps it is for aesthetic purposes only?

As their boiler is a standard home heating oil boiler I wonder why the installer put in a flue travelling up the side of the wall to near the roof instead of putting in a little steel box on the side of the wall beside the boiler as ours has?

zoe wrote: »
    I wonder what the purpose of a cowl is then on a flue from an oil boiler if it does not stop birds nesting?

Perhaps it's to stop rain only? Or perhaps it is for aesthetic purposes only?

As their boiler is a standard home heating oil boiler I wonder why the installer put in a flue travelling up the side of the wall to near the roof instead of putting in a little steel box on the side of the wall beside the boiler as ours has?

A pidgeon would get in through the opening of a cowl, not to mind the smalled birds. The cowl stops rain getting in and sometimes can help stop downdraught.
    Most outside boilers up to about 10 years ago used gas oil - not kerosene, and the flue was meant to go up to the eaves - although not all did. Kerosene is a cleaner oil and a vent will suffice.
    Jim.

stapeler wrote: »
    Fair enough, I was just basing it on an experience where they got into my wood burning flue in my workshop. It didn't take long before the room filled up with smoke. Needless to say their nest didn't survive. :o

Naturally if anything blocks the flue, it will cause a problem with the boiler and you will get fumes and probably the boiler will soot up.
    Actually birds do not tend to nest in flues at all, they prefer ordinary chimneys. Maybe because oil boilers are normally in use during the nesting season.
    Jim.

Advertisement