Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed.

Options
  • 10-03-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Need some advice.

Anyone has ever heard of a footie comp called 'last man standing'?

We do it in work. You basically pick a premier league team to win their match at the weekend and you can only use that team once. If they win you go on to next week/ lose you're out.

Well 65 of us are in this time @ €10 a man. The thing is its a double-pot as no one won the last time as the 2 lads left both picked losing teams. So the pot this time is €1300!!

Here's the good bit. After 8 weeks myself and 2 others were left before this weekends games. One went for Blackburn (only drew) and another went for Arsenal (only drew) and I went for Villa to beat Boro on Wednesday night. So if Villa win I get the €1300.

Now a few lads have said to me I'd be mad not to cover my bet by backing Boro and the draw too!?!

I could get Boro @ 6/1 on betfair and the draw @ 3/1. Now if I had €100 on each then if Villa win I get €1300, Draw I get €400, Boro win I get €700 all for a total stake of €220.

Good idea or bad idea??

Have to say I am tempted just to sit tight and hope for a Villa win.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Batesy wrote: »
    Need some advice.

Anyone has ever heard of a footie comp called 'last man standing'?

We do it in work. You basically pick a premier league team to win their match at the weekend and you can only use that team once. If they win you go on to next week/ lose you're out.

Well 65 of us are in this time @ €10 a man. The thing is its a double-pot as no one won the last time as the 2 lads left both picked losing teams. So the pot this time is €1300!!

Here's the good bit. After 8 weeks myself and 2 others were left before this weekends games. One went for Blackburn (only drew) and another went for Arsenal (only drew) and I went for Villa to beat Boro on Wednesday night. So if Villa win I get the €1300.

Now a few lads have said to me I'd be mad not to cover my bet by backing Boro and the draw too!?!

I could get Boro @ 6/1 on betfair and the draw @ 3/1. Now if I had €100 on each then if Villa win I get €1300, Draw I get €400, Boro win I get €700 all for a total stake of €220.

Good idea or bad idea??

Have to say I am tempted just to sit tight and hope for a Villa win.

I reckon you have got to back the draw and Boro win to be honest. Villa should really piss all over Boro but look at the weekend just gone, it's a funny old game as they say. If somehow Villa don't win, you'd be pretty sick thinking that you could have at least had four hundre notes in your back pocket. If they do win, your're not going to miss two hundred euro out of 1300. My two cent anyway

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Covering your bets to guarantee a profit is always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

I think covering the bets is a good idea but i really don't see villa not beating boro, the games at the weekend have no bearing on this as fa cup is all about big giant killings but lets face it, all boro have atm is two strikers in alves n mido who seem to be eating everything around em , there best chance of a goal is there centre back wheater.
    Although covering the bet is the sensible thing to do , personally id risk it :<

P.s if villa don't win i'll eat my hat !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cover your money and sit back and relax with a few beers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Thanks for the replies lads. Think I'll go ahead and cover it. Might have more on the draw than the away win though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Right now, you win 1300 Euro if Villa win their match. You get nothing otherwise.

If you wanted, you could bet 185.71 on Boro and 325 on the draw. That way, no matter what happens in the match, you win 789.29 Euro. Or put another way, you'll have 789.29 extra in your pocket on thursday morning.

So, essentially, you currently have 789.29 euro on Villa at just over 3/2. Is this a bet you'd normally make ? If not (either due to the size, or the odds) then hedge out of it. If you're happy with this bet at these odds, then stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Batesy, cover every option dont let sentiment come into it when in profit.Green up as they say!!

To gurantee a profit of €935 give or take couple of €.Place the following bets.
    Back Boro at 7.0 X €134=Rets incl stake €938
    Back Draw at 4.0 X €234=Rets incl stake €936
    Villa already backed win €1300 - (stakes above)-€134-€234=€932.

Enjoy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

To add to this I would create a new online account with a bookie that you haven't used before which offers a good signup bonus - eg. First bet matched to the value of €50...

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

thedini wrote: »
    Batesy, cover every option dont let sentiment come into it when in profit.Green up as they say!!

To gurantee a profit of €935 give or take couple of €.Place the following bets.
    Back Boro at 7.0 X €134=Rets incl stake €938
    Back Draw at 4.0 X €234=Rets incl stake €936
    Villa already backed win €1300 - (stakes above)-€134-€234=€932.

Enjoy!!!!

you forgot to deduct the stakes above, so if Boro win, profit would be 938-134 = 804. Draw profit would be 702.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

twerg_85 wrote: »
    you forgot to deduct the stakes above, so if Boro win, profit would be 938-134 = 804. Draw profit would be 702.

Why are people complicating things by saying back Boro and the draw....just lay Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

I hope you laid villa.. they let me down tonight for 4 timer.. soccer betting, one funny week for it

Advertisement