Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism

• 10-03-2008 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

ATT1395138.jpg

*legs it out the door*

Nah but seriously ladies, what is your opinion on images such as these?

Offensive?
    Funny?
    Or maybe it all depends on context.

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't think much of the one on the left either... She has a face like Hulk Hogan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The "iron my shirt bitch" picture is the best one.

God tube socks are ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

got a laugh outta me!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Opinion on what? Motivational posters?

They're sometimes funny and sometimes not?

Not sure what you're aiming at here, please clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Not offensive by any measure but not really funny either. There are way better motivational posters out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It's a howl. :D:D

It's meant to be a joke and i found it funny. If it had been used in a serious thread on say, feminism, equality or some such, and was intended as an insult, then I would not have thought it the slightest bit funny. (I hope)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

No,I meant opinions on this kind of poster making fun of feminism.

I personally don't find the Hooters girls attractive.
    BLondes don't really work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Not really true. Im not ugly and I occasionally complain about sexism.

Tis funny though, I suppose.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its funny 'cos it's true :D

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    its funny 'cos it's true :D

So im ugly because I don't think sexism is acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Lux23 wrote: »
    Tis funny though, I suppose.

Ah come on Lux, something can't be "suppose funny" , it should be "really obviously funny!" :D

As for the Motivational Posters. The original Demotivational Posters were awesome, and some of the stuff made by folk on the web is hilarious but there is a lot of crap out there, just as with anything else.

Dragan wrote: »
    Ah come on Lux, something can't be "suppose funny" , it should be "really obviously funny!" :D

As for the Motivational Posters. The original Demotivational Posters were awesome, and some of the stuff made by folk on the web is hilarious but there is a lot of crap out there, just as with anything else.

Its funny but I do have a problem with taking the piss out of feminists. There are alot of things I can do today because of what they did in the past and I think far too many women like to ignore that. Sure a woman may not even have the freedom to work in Hooters without feminism.

Its funny but I do have a problem with taking the piss out of feminists. There are alot of things I can do today because of what they did in the past and I think far too many women like to ignore that. Sure a woman may not even have the freedom to work in Hooters without feminism.

In my personal opinion there is no sacred ground when it comes to humour. That is the whole point of humour, to be able to take a more relaxed look at things.

For my money, without the Freedom to laugh at what we choose to laugh at very little is worth fighting for!

Besides, if you take the picutre without the tag line....it looks more like one woman putting down others for not meeting her standards of what a woman should be.

No?

Besides, if you take the picutre without the tag line....it looks more like one woman putting down others for not meeting her standards of what a woman should be.

+1

anyway, its a joke, jaysis lightnen up. This is the reason feminists get such a hard time - no sense of humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

i think it's very funny!!

+1

anyway, its a joke, jaysis lightnen up. This is the reason feminists get such a hard time - no sense of humour

I wouldn't consider myself a feminist more of a equalitarian. Equal rights for everyone.

There are loads of jokes I could post up here that you would all start pissing yourselves with indignation. Its not the poster I have a problem just the way some women are so afraid of what men may think of them if they have feminist leanings.

No?

Really I think it looks like they are waitresses and she is protesting because someone has decided that you have present yourself in that way to do the job.

I think the protester has the potential to be better looking than the redneck at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Glass ceiling anyone

I wouldn't consider myself a feminist more of a equalitarian. Equal rights for everyone.

There are loads of jokes I could post up here that you would all start pissing yourselves with indignation. Its not the poster I have a problem just the way some women are so afraid of what men may think of them if they have feminist leanings.

I just believe it is everyones right to believe what they want to believe. And no one has the right to shove their opinions down anyones throat. If you dont like the joke, fine but dont condemn anyone who thinks its funny

• Advertisement

I just believe it is everyones right to believe what they want to believe. And no one has the right to shove their opinions down anyones throat. If you dont like the joke, fine but dont condemn anyone who thinks its funny

I haven't condemned anyone who does. What you said works both ways I have the right not to be riducled because I may have problems with the joke. I never said its not funny if you look back over the posts, I just have a problem with any kind of sexist/racist/homophobic jokes. Just because something makes you laugh doesn't make it ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I just have a problem with any kind of sexist/racist/homophobic jokes. Just because something makes you laugh doesn't make it ok.

Thing is, humour is very hard to allow when there are things that you think shouldnt be made fun of. I laugh at racist jokes all the time. Doesn't mean I'm a racist.

Take the atheists use of catholic.ie to make fun of catholics. I'm a catholic.
    It doesn;t bother me that they put it up.

Massive massive difference between saying a joke and trying to be offensive.

Thing is, humour is very hard to allow when there are things that you think shouldnt be made fun of. I laugh at racist jokes all the time. Doesn't mean I'm a racist.

You can't help what you laugh at but you can say if its wrong or not. If someone tells you a racist joke and you laugh like its no big deal then you are part of the massive problem that is racism. Bascially you are saying that having a laugh is far more important to you than how the subject of the joke would feel if they heard the joke and you laughing at it. I hear jokes all the time I don't like and I ignore them but part of feels deeply ashamed for not speaking out.

You can't help what you laugh at but you can say if its wrong or not. If someone tells you a racist joke and you laugh like its no big deal then you are part of the massive problem that is racism.

Oh come on!!! That a new one to me! I laugh at pretty much everything.

I guess i must hate babies, Jews, black folk, volks wagons, being in the army etc etc etc etc etc.

It's okay to just laugh about things.

Honest.

Oh come on!!! That a new one to me! I laugh at pretty much everything.

I guess i must hate babies, Jews, black folk, volks wagons, being in the army etc etc etc etc etc.

It's okay to just laugh about things.

Honest.

I never said it would mean that you hate anyone or anything.

How does every ethnic joke start?
    By looking over your shoulder.

Why would one do that because one know's the joke is wrong and would upset some if they heard it. But we all still persist for the sake of a cheap laugh. Im probably thinking about it far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

Oh yeah, that's what they all say.. And then commences the fundamentalist women-first squeal.

Someone protesting that they're "not a feminist" is the surest indicator that they are.

,8,1 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's what they all say.. And then commences the fundamentalist women-first squeal.

Someone protesting that they're "not a feminist" is the surest indicator that they are.

Well I wouldn't be ashamed to admit I was one if I was. I believe in equal rights for everyone meaning men, women and children. I wouldn't mind if someone called me a feminist but I do care about other issues equally. Like father rights for instance.

How does every ethnic joke start?
    By looking over your shoulder.

Why would one do that because one know's the joke is wrong and would upset some if they heard it. But we all still persist for the sake of a cheap laugh. Im probably thinking about it far too much.

I don't know. I never really look over my shoulder. I imagine the i express opinions all the time that would upset somebody. I can't say as i worry about it too much to be honest.

I don't know. I never really look over my shoulder. I imagine the i express opinions all the time that would upset somebody. I can't say as i worry about it too much to be honest.

Well everyone is entitled to an informed opinion but do jokes come under that? I dunno. This is hurting my head, too much thinking for a tuesday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

hmmm.....

its kinda funny- coz the older woman is being feminist in her own way and the women are probably in their own way too maybe...

i dunno - think we should all just get along! its all relative innit.. people take everything so serious these days.. Sure no matter what ya do your "offendin" someone.. feic it, be happy and once it aint hurtin anyone else do your thing.. :D

Advertisement