Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Dragan wrote: »
    Oh come on!!! That a new one to me! I laugh at pretty much everything.

I guess i must hate babies, Jews, black folk, volks wagons, being in the army etc etc etc etc etc.

It's okay to just laugh about things.

Honest.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

I'm prob sitting on the fence a little - I can see both sides of the argument. There's so much going on in the world that you have to be able to laugh at things and I do think the political correctness can be a bit much at times.

On the other hand the likes of Bernard Manning I absolutely abhor - anyone who finds him funny is a little backward to put it mildly IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Babette08 wrote: »
    On the other hand the likes of Bernard Manning I absolutely abhor - anyone who finds him funny is a little backward to put it mildly IMO

Bernard Manning wasn't a comedian. I don't know if he was a racist or not, i never sat down with him and said "Bernard, all the ****e you bang on about, you really believe it, yeah?" but i get the impression that it is how he really felt.

But, the simple fact of the matter is that it was a good reflection on how a large part of his generation really felt.

Did i think he was funny? Nope, i thought he was a racist myself.

However, there is a massive difference between that and laughing occassionally at a stereotype, in my honest opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Bernard Manning wasn't a comedian. I don't know if he was a racist or not, i never sat down with him and said "Bernard, all the ****e you bang on about, you really believe it, yeah?" but i get the impression that it is how he really felt.

But, the simple fact of the matter is that it was a good reflection on how a large part of his generation really felt.

Did i think he was funny? Nope, i thought he was a racist myself.

However, there is a massive difference between that and laughing occassionally at a stereotype, in my honest opinion anyway.

I thought he was a much loved working comedian, popular in the north of England was he not??

That's why I said I was sitting on the fence coz it's hard to know where to draw the line...Allo Allo is what we consider a harmless inoffensive sitcom from way back when, yet it's only recently been allowed to broadcast in Germany

I thought he was a much loved working comedian, popular in the north of England was he not??

So the story goes.

Not overly funny though.

"What black and doesn't work?"
    "Black people".

Wow, well done Bernard.

Clever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That's why I said I was sitting on the fence coz it's hard to know where to draw the line...Allo Allo is what we consider a harmless inoffensive sitcom from way back when, yet it's only recently been allowed to broadcast in Germany

Its all relative. A white, straight, middle class man is very rarely the target of these two liner jokes.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Its all relative. A white, straight, middle class man is very rarely the target of these two liner jokes.

Nope, we are the butt of most modern advertising.

However, we don't ****ing cry about it because, by and large, it is pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Nope, we are the butt of most modern advertising.

However, we don't ****ing cry about it because, by and large, it is pretty funny.

Well I guess when you run almost everything in world its a small price to pay.

Yeah, you're right. Hang on while i move some of my oil tankers around and put in a quick call to Bill Gates about what we are gonna do with all our money and power. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Are you insane woman? You need to watch more comedy.
    Ahhh, now I get it. ;) Very funny Lux, good work! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It's usually fairly obvious when someone is actually racist:Their jokes just aren't funny. You can usually tell.

Come on folks, if we're only allowed say certain types of jokes, then where does it end?

It's extremely hard to defend only certain types jokes as being acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

Well, that knackers any girls in the military who do something heroic ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Mr NoTV wrote: »
    Well, that knackers any girls in the military who do something heroic ...

I'd say you'll get your chance in 5...4...3...2.....

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I think the picture is hilarious on it's own without the caption. The caption is a cheap shot and probably written by someone who hasn't had much luck with the ladies

Advertisement