Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing cores

Options
  • 10-03-2008 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Came home today to play some wow and i noticed the pc had hanged, So i rebooted and noticed the pc was hanging after it posted. So i ent right to the bios to check my voltages as i was trying to hit 3.8ghz last night. While in there i noticed in the cpu tab that cores 2 and 3 were disabled and was unable to enable them. So first thing was to reset the cmos to see if that worked. But no luck. When booting it shows the cpu as a Q6600 @ clockspeed 2cpu(s)

Is it possible for two cores to blow ? Surely the cpu should stop completly. There isnt even an error core on the bios.

Any ideas ? Im not too worried if it is gone, as ill pick up a q9450. But would be nice to get this one working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

try falshin a new bios and see if it will let u reenbable them.

btw never heard of a single core blowin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Intel 6600's are made of two interconnected dies with two cores on each, so it's possible to lose one of the dies and thus two cores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well i flashed to the latest bios, and still no luck :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Next step is to try the CPU in another board and another CPU in your board.

Yeah i have a spare e6600 lying around at home, will try that in the pc and the quad in the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

can you boot into Vista? Have a look under task manager to see if its picking up more than 2 cores.

More than likely i'd say one of the dies in the CPU has blown and the mobo is simply picking them up as disabled now.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    can you boot into Vista? Have a look under task manager to see if its picking up more than 2 cores.

More than likely i'd say one of the dies in the CPU has blown and the mobo is simply picking them up as disabled now.

Nah cant get into windows, even in safe mode. It just hags after post and verifying DMI pool. No error code on the mobos little screen either.

Anti wrote: »
    Nah cant get into windows, even in safe mode. It just hags after post and verifying DMI pool. No error code on the mobos little screen either.

I'd be just a tad concerned at this point that a decent bit if quad core is now fried.

Yeah im thinking the same :(

Rest in piece little quad. 3.8ghz was just to much for you :(

OKay Small update, Have taken the E6600 out of my media server ( which 100% works ) and put it on the 780i, but the thing wont boot at all. Turns on, all fans start up And the code on the boards lcd is " FF " which means it should boot..... But its not. I have reset the cmos jumper, tried with 2gb ram in slot 1, and just 1 graphics card.

Anyone have any ideas ?

• Advertisement

OKay Small update, Have taken the E6600 out of my media server ( which 100% works ) and put it on the 780i, but the thing wont boot at all. Turns on, all fans start up And the code on the boards lcd is " FF " which means it should boot..... But its not. I have reset the cmos jumper, tried with 2gb ram in slot 1, and just 1 graphics card.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Curious. How did the Q6600 far in the media server? Maybe it's possible that something blew on the board instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anyone have any ideas ?

board may be dead or it could be ur ram,

take the mobo out of the pc and try it aslo try other ram

Another update, Just stuck the quad in my media server and it booted right away with 4 working cores. Will test the ram in my media server after food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

maybe its the northbridge or southbridge but that wouldn't explain why its duo in the bios, were they being passively or actively cooled? the 780 southbridge runs quite toasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Contact Evga for a new bios chip

Board is fubar. So im now looking for another board. Can someone reccomend me a board that is an awesome overclocker, and supports the new 45nm chips.

Thank you kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1441983&productID=S4969891 supposedly a really good overclocker if your going to get ddr3 worth picking this one up. If your not getting for a few weeks i can tell you how mine fairs when manage to get hold of a decent cpu and ram

Your kinda stuck with a nvidia chipset mobo with your 3x 8800gtx's. 790i just adds ddr3 support to the 780i.

BTW, there is an interesting situation developing ATM, Intel have been refusing Nvidia a licence to produce chipsets for their chips, .........consequence of this being no more nvidia motherboards, the 790i could be the last one, ..............which leads to no more Sli as Nvidia wont allow it on any other chipset but theirs.

Intel are holding out and won't budge on this and serves Nvidia right for their own business tactics. It could eventually lead to Nvidia having no choice but to allow Sli on other chipsets in order to allow Sli to continue as a technology.

Would be great for consumers, Sli on an Intel chipset motherboard. ATM this is only blocked at driver level.

deceit wrote: »
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1441983&productID=S4969891 supposedly a really good overclocker if your going to get ddr3 worth picking this one up. If your not getting for a few weeks i can tell you how mine fairs when manage to get hold of a decent cpu and ram

:rolleyes: He's got 8Gb of ddr2 ram and 3x 8800Gtx's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

ahh no use to him then :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement